• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 OHV Swap

3ncrypt3d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Currently have a 97 2wd 2.3 Ranger. Engine runs amazing but it’s lacking torque and power. I know if I do the swap I’m gonna need basically a while donor vehicle for the engine trans harness and ecu. I’m not worried about that, because there’s tons of these at my local junkyards. The few questions I have are will I need to pull the 4.0 crossmember or will the 2.3 one work, but with the 4.0 motor mounts? Will the tranny still use the stock mount, or would I need the 4.0 one? And lastly I’m assuming driveshaft lengths are different? I have a single cab shirt bed so I’m fairly confident in finding something that’ll work. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!

BeeCee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What's up man, I think I can shed light on some of your questions. I had a '97 2.3L 2WD, and I now have a '96 4.0L 2WD, I've had the trans out of both of them, and am familiar with both platforms.

The front left/right motors mounts are different between the 2.3 and the 4.0. The trans mount however is the same between both the 2.3 & 4.0. As for the crossmember, I'm not 100% but from looking at them both I'm pretty sure they are the same.

As for the driveshaft, from what I remember I'm pretty confident they were different between the two engines.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Couple of things
Manual or automatic?

The 1995-1997 transmissions had speed sensor on the tail shaft, 1998-2000 did not
But you can swap tail shaft housings if you end up with 1998-2000 4.0l
Automatic has drive gear machined into output shaft, manual needs drive gear added, from 2.3l trans

There was also a fuel system change in 1998, Rangers went to a Returnless system, so only one fuel line was needed from filter to engine, return line was on the 3 port filter on 1998 and up Rangers, so not really "returnless", lol
You would need to change fuel pump assemblies and fuel filter, and cut and put a new connection on return hose, and possible a new connection on the engine end of fuel line
1995-1997 4.0l would have same fuel system you have now on the 2.3l

1994 and earlier used different computer, 60-wire EEC-IV, which I wouldn't recommend for a swap into a 1997, possible but best to go with 1995 and later EEC-V computers

You need to change exhaust of course, and new radiator, NOT used

It is not a simple swap, selling the 1997 2.3l Ranger and buying a 4.0l Ranger would be cheaper overall

Swapping in a V8 would be EXACTLY the same work, engine/trans, wiring/computer, so IMO a better swap because you can't buy a factory 5.0l Ranger

3ncrypt3d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What's up man, I think I can shed light on some of your questions. I had a '97 2.3L 2WD, and I now have a '96 4.0L 2WD, I've had the trans out of both of them, and am familiar with both platforms.

The front left/right motors mounts are different between the 2.3 and the 4.0. The trans mount however is the same between both the 2.3 & 4.0. As for the crossmember, I'm not 100% but from looking at them both I'm pretty sure they are the same.

As for the driveshaft, from what I remember I'm pretty confident they were different between the two engines.
Ok, that’s actually really useful. I was planning on swapping from a 97, because then I can still have OBD2 and it’s just an easier swap I think.

Couple of things
Manual or automatic?

The 1995-1997 transmissions had speed sensor on the tail shaft, 1998-2000 did not
Automatic has drive gear machined into output shaft, manual needs drive gear added, from 2.3l trans

There was also a fuel system change in 1998, Rangers went to a Returnless system, so only one fuel line was needed from filter to engine, return line was on the 3 port filter on 1998 and up Rangers, so not really "returnless", lol
You would need to change fuel pump assemblies and fuel filter, and cut and put a new connection on return hose, and possible a new connection on the engine end of fuel line
1995-1997 4.0l would have same fuel system you have now on the 2.3l

1994 and earlier used different computer, 60-wire EEC-IV, which I wouldn't recommend for a swap into a 1997, possible but best to go with 1995 and later EEC-V computers

You need to change exhaust of course, and new radiator, NOT used

It is not a simple swap, selling the 1997 2.3l Ranger and buying a 4.0l Ranger would be cheaper overall

Swapping in a V8 would be EXACTLY the same work, engine/trans, wiring/computer, so IMO a better swap because you can't buy a factory 5.0l Ranger
I honestly would prefer a 5.0 swap, but as far as I know I’d need a custom trans crossmember and some other goodies to make it actually bolt up properly. That’s why I’d rather do a 4.0. Less power yeah, but parts are readily available. At least in my area. Put thought into selling it, but I haven’t been able to find a cleaner ranger with a 4.0 and a 5 speed. Junkyard has a few, so that’s why I was wanting to swap.

3ncrypt3d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Couple of things
Manual or automatic?

Apparently I didn’t read this part. I have a manual transmission.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals