• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 swap

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With the '98' and newer Rangers, you are pretty much stuck using the Explorer computer. You can use a Mustang motor but then you would have to convert it work with the Explorer computer, in others words - start with an low mileage Explorer motor to begin with.
Dave

Nehring13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
could i take an explorer motor, harness etc, and put on HO parts like heads, and headers and stuff or no?

stranger

Reaction score
yes but the ex motors are better than any used stang ho.the ex is a cobra motor with a hi tq cam.ford made it easy for you. a doner will have all you need.not worth playing games and mixing and matching different parts

gfbgreaser289

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
turd
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
ok. first off, a explorer motor is not a cobra motor nor is it better than a 5.0 ho. the only thing that makes the ex motor nicer in stock form is the intake manifold its close to the cobra. it does not have forged pistons like the 5.0 ho or cobra it also doesnt use a distributor. if you are going to do the swap. find a complete low milage mustang motor with a complete harness and a9l or a9p computer and use that. i have 9 rangers with V8's in them. i also have one with a efi514 with p51 heads. in my daily driven (in california) 87 xcab i have a 93 cobra set up with a painless wiring harness and a np435/205 d60/ff9
on 38's. where are you located???

stranger

Reaction score
the 93 cobra had hypers,and gt 40 heads same as 96-97 ex,the gt40p's 97-01 are even better.the explorer upper is the only difference within 1.5 hp of the gt40 and < 1 hp difference from cobra.yes its a cobra with choked single exhaust,1.6 rockers,and tqyerrr cam.the ex harness plugs right in on most 98-01 swaps so why step backwords to ecc iv and not have your truck work right.and finally it is better than an ho for 98+swaps.this is just fact get used too it

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ford made a lot of changes in the '98' and newer Rangers that make it really hard to use the easy swap that most of you are used to when using the Mustang harness and computer. They also made it really easy to swap the Explorer in. Just way too much relies on the CPU now then before. Like Stranger said, going to have to get used to the new ways, just like the change from the 5.0 to the 4.6 and not having a distrubutor anymore. The GP-40P heads on the Explorer are the best stock iron heads Ford has ever made. The Explorer also comes with the 65mm TB and a shorter front acc. dress that make it fit in earlier trucks without having to run an electric fan.
Dave

Nehring13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i am used to this fact of using a newmotor, it just sucks to me. but life moves on. im pretty sure that regardless of what 5.0 i use it will handle all that i give it to do, other shit will break before it does. but thanks for the help. but where can i find a dana 60 front end that will fit in there?

northerncountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what would happen if you used a carbed 5.0 with an msd ignition could you just say the hell with the computer?

northerncountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am from wisconsin and i want a simple old v8 that I know how to work on just like to good old 68 I have. DAMN THE COMPUTERS!!! LOL

stranger

Reaction score
its easier to use the ex/mount comp wiring and parts,+ its still the same 302 from 68 more or less.if you have the whole truck96-01 your golden.if not look for 96-97 wiring and pcm without pats.

mudranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
in answer to the previous poster- yep- if you run a carb setup with an MSD/ and a new distributor, you can ditch the computer- I know cause thats exactly what I did. You will have to get a distributor for the carb setup, but MSD makes a realy nice one. that with a good coil, and its 4 wires that plug right in, and you are in business....

havok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 ranger 4x4 with a 4.0L. I was thinking of swaping in a 5.0 this spring most likely out of an explorer as it seems the best choice. It's said that you will need to beat the firewall back for clearance, would a 3" body lift fix this. also, in relation to the rearend i have an 8.8 and noticed that so did the explorer's is the any other differance other than gears that would make the ranger rearend no be able to handle the 5.0. i plann on 35's being the max size i will put n the truck but most likely 33's.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mudranger, the big difference in what you did and what Nehring13 has is that his is a OBD2, just about have to keep the computer to run everything. Things really changed in '98' with the wiring/computers.
Havok, find a 2000 Explorer, get everything on the motor, and that's about it. Hope you have an auto cause changing to a manual is tough. No problem at all with having to do a body lift or having to beat the firewall. The rear end is strong enough but a lot have up-graded to the 31 spline axles from the Explorer, not sure it's need (not running big tires or do mudding).
Dave

mudranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, you're right -I read his post again and he has a few more things to deal with, so no 4 wire plug n play solution....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals