• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 Engine Rebuild Kits

CraKel

February 2010 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so looks like Im gonna have to overhaul the V8 this winter.. Prolly a good idea to fix anything now before it gets put in and starts breaking down on me while its on the road.

Anyone got any good suggestions on rebuild kits?? I found a few that look good from Summit and one from RockAuto with all necessary parts each priced from around $350-600 bucks. Any info on past experiences would be a bonus..

thx, Ck.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Year/1979/Make/FORD/Model/THUNDERBIRD/Pistons-Included/Yes/In-Stock/Yes/Piston-and-Ring-Oversize-in/Stock/Rod-Bearing-Undersize-in/Stock/?keyword=ford+302+engine+rebuild+kit

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1139970,parttype,5316

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know a lot rebuild their own motors, I just take it to an experienced shop that knows Ford small blocks. They can spot problems I would miss. You'll probably need a bore and maybe some crank work. They got all the tools I don't. I know it costs but.....
Dave

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I usually take the heads off and bring the assembled short block and the assembled heads to the machine shop. Let them take it apart and see what it needs, and then let me know. Then I have them do the necessary machine work, and I pick all the parts up in a box and bring it home to assemble myself.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I usually take the heads off and bring the assembled short block and the assembled heads to the machine shop. Let them take it apart and see what it needs, and then let me know. Then I have them do the necessary machine work, and I pick all the parts up in a box and bring it home to assemble myself.
This is what I do as well. Gotta wait until a machine shop goes through and does the work before getting the rebuild kit so that you know what it needs. The shop I go to here will price match anything you can find and that way they can get you the right stuff for what ended up being done. Even then they can do some minor balancing as well if they have the balancer and flex plate or flywheel. I have a stock '93 HO in my Stang and a rebuilt '87 in my Ranger that is weight and crank balanced and it is a lot smoother running FWIW.

Pete

CraKel

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
hmm.. thx for the replies! ya my bud knows a guy who deals with all SBF's and said hes gonna take a look at it now that is apart, then give me a rough idea of what I need. Until then Im left in the dark I supposse. How much work is a bore to 306? and is it really worth it in the end?

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's not a question of it's worth it but is it needed. Price isn't going to change much if any from a stock bore to the .030 over piston and rings.
Dave

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
You CAN freshen an engine with new rings, bearings, and gaskets, just depends on what level of wear the cylinders have.
Tear it apart, and have a look.

CraKel

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
ya its in the process now.. thx for the help guys, Ill let ya know how it goes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals