• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 collapsed lifter!

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I reused my100k mile roller lifters in a 400 hp 302 build.. stock lifters sometimes are better than the "after market ".junk

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
I would've reused the stock lifters but the motor had set for years and the rollers were pitted and rusty. I don't know how hydraulic lifters work but the cup had so much pressure the small clip was barely holding on. When I took the clip out it launched the cup and a flat washer thing completely out of the body and what looks like another cup almost came out. Seems like with so much pressure it should've been holding the valve open instead of putting slack in the pushrod. It's confusing. Either way, the new FRPP lifters went right in and everything seems normal after torqing all the rockers through their sequence. Normal amount of movement on closed valves and all are oiling spinning the oil pump and turning the crank. Tomorrow I should be able to fill the radiator and set timing and see what happens.
20201025_174742.jpg

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
I had to get a guy I know who understands pedestal mount rockers to come look at it. Same issues after changing the lifters. Diagnosis: pushrods too short. Apparently without enough preload the lifter cup can hammer on the retainer clip. Also some of the rocker arms are toast with massive wear. With the price of 6.30 pushrods and stock rockers I'm just going to use the Crane stud conversion and some roller rockers. I've used it before about 15 years ago with great success.

Last edited:

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you get the correct pushrods?

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
Did you get the correct pushrods?
Not yet. With the time change it's dark by the time I get home so I haven't even installed the stud kit yet. After the studs and new rockers I'll be able to check pushrod length again and see where I'm at.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals