• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 to 4.0?

Alex FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure if this should go here or in the 3.0 forums so sorry if its in the wrong place.

I have a 1999 Ranger 2wd with the 3.0l engine. Im looking for more power and considered the 5.0 but i think the 4.0 is more than enough for my needs. The tech library does not say much about swapping a 4th gen 4.0 into another 4th gen that has a 3.0. Does anyone have any information to this? i would assume that it would be mostly plug and play like the explorer 5.0 is?

Theres a lot of contradiction about this. the tech lib says that the bell housings bolt right up to all ford v6 engines in rangers and that only one bolt wont line up with the sohc version. but then people say they are completely different. ill be getting a whole donor vehicle so i can just its transmission.

Last edited:

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
A 4.0 bellhousing is the same as any other 4.0/2.9/2.8 etc...., a 3.0 is completely different. This gets brought up every week. It doesnt matter whether its a v6, it depends on the engine family it is.

If you swap engines you are looking at transmission, ecu, wiring harness, starter, downpipe, etc.

green_duck42

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
can somebody elaborate on this because im interested as well. my 3.0 just died and i was thinking the same thing. when you mention the wiring harness is that "from the motor to the ecu" or "from the ecu to the fuse box"? are the drive shaft and differental still usable?

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You will need the engine harness and your driveshaft will be the same.

green_duck42

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i know that alex fx4 is running a 2wd but those of us with 4wd what about the t-case? does that need to change with the bell housing?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals