• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 4wd tire sizes / performance

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 2000 3.0 4wd MO5D came with 245/75-16 tires and 4.10 gears.
It rode jouncy and gave average performance.

Years ago, I put a set of Explorer take-offs (Craigslist) Dueler AT Revos, 235/75-15.
They woke that truck up nicely, with better take-offs and 5th gear was more responsive. I had to adjust my expectations of the 4WABS system when I did that, but it still works well.

Kept that size for years, and was happy to install new same size Michelins LTX MS a few years back.

Yesterday, I traded my son (his tires wouldn't pass inspection and mine just did pass) for the 235/60-16 set that I had put on the 2000 2wd 2.5 that I gave him last year. It was a peppy truck and handled far better in turns with the lower profile tires.

Great googly-moogly, what a difference that made. I had previously gotten in the habit of pulling out in second gear when putting around in no hurry. Now, I pull out in second and stomp it, and 5th gear is a pleasure. I drove it from Fredericksburg, VA back to NC last night and loved the whole performance difference.

Tire Size Comparison

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
245/75-16 7.2in 15.2in 30.5in 95.7in 662 0.0%
235/65-16 6.0in 14.0in 28.0in 88.1in 720 -8.0% <corrected on edit

I've commented on my tire switches in the past, but this is the final result that I am so very happy with.

To those who say that my highway mileage will suffer, bullhockey. I barely hold the throttle open and had to relearn/adjust my foot pressure to keep from that accel/decel spot.

To those who say my high speed rpms will be too high, bullhockey again. I ran 70-75 mph down I-64 and it stayed in the 2700-2900 rpm range and my Vulcan was very happy to be there. When I ventured north of 3000 rpm in 5th gear, I was in peril of being cufffed and stuffed and THAT is where the Vulcan really makes it power, above 3k. From 75mph to the speed limiter happens faster than I thought possible with this truck.

Yes, my 4wd looks just a little odd with little 27" tires, but no worse than a 2wd with their little 15"s (stock on the 2.5 truck was 215/75-15).

Lastly, you can not believe the way it handles so much better in turns. There's a lot to be said for short, stiff sidewalls.

FWIW, I don't off-road this truck anymore (quit hunting) and all I use the 4wd for is in snow when I go up north.

His tires wore uneven due to bad LBJs, which we replaced yesterday.

Last edited:

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Next step if you are pretty much using the truck as a car would be to get a set of all season passenger car tires and ditch the LT (light truck) tires all together.

Most if not all passenger car tires for 16" wheels that are 26"to 27" in diameter can hold just as much weight as LT tires in that size. You wont lose load capacity but gain another mpg or two plus have better road manners on pavement.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My bad, they are Bridgestone Dueler HT, P235-65-16, not 60s. They'll last me till this time next year, for inspection to pass. I'll flog them till then. Found a nail in one, gonna plug it.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Glad to hear it's working for you.
I always try to tell people this stuff when they ask what axle gears they should get for their new (bigger) tires. Invariably someone else will repeatedly jump in with a ratio that's like two steps too shallow.

No need to fear the gear! (or in this case, the small tires lol). The 3.0L actually likes it. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals