• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2WD Locked 99 Ranger project

Alex FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So heres some background info on my truck. Its a 2WD 1999 3.0l v6 Super cab running strong at 207k miles. There is something sloppy in the drive train so it jerks went you give it gas after coasting. I suspect U-joints but maybe rear diff. This is more of a slower paced build and i would like to get some opinions before i just start buying stuff.

I don't plan to get rid of the 3.0 ever. Its seems to be more reliable than the 4.0 even if it has less HP. i may rebuild it and its transmission someday but it runs good now.

Plans so far...

1. Rebuild rear axle with new gear ratio and replace u-joints
2. attach front and rear hitch so i can tow with the rear and put a winch on the front
3.Front and rear bumper/light guards with light bars and a roll cage.
4. Suspension lift, not sure what size yet. (don't want to get too ahead of myself)

Thats enough planning for now but i might do more as i go.

So im ready to start ordering parts for the rear end and rebuild it but i want i high quality locker but no too high quality if you know what i mean. The axle is the ford 7.5 with limited slip and i can go with a Detroit or a Lock-Right. Thing is that i hear Detroits don't break... period and that lock right's depend on carrier strength. But what will break first in a 7.5? axle shafts or the carrier? if its the shafts then why do i need a stronger carrier you know? so i'd like someones help on that as its my first obstacle.

As an added note, im running 29's at the moment with 15x7 rims. it will stay like that for a while as the tires are new but when they wear and i get new ones i'd like to know if there are any bigger ones i can find for 15x7 rims?

Last edited:

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you're going to do all this, I would suggest buying a 4x4. If you're dead set on building a 2wd, I would go with the 8.8 rear axle and ditching the 7.5.

Alex FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you're going to do all this, I would suggest buying a 4x4. If you're dead set on building a 2wd, I would go with the 8.8 rear axle and ditching the 7.5.
I understand were you coming from on this but my friend has a 4x4 ranger without either of the diff's locked and he gets stuck in places that locked 2wd trucks just ease over. If your familiar with a place called ride royal blue in Tennessee, this is were i will do most of the wheeling and its not that extreme for the most part.

The idea for this is to keep my truck as my driver but also have it do well in some moderate off road conditions. With what ill be doing, i don't see the reason to go for the 8.8 especially when little geo trackers and suzuki samurai's seem to do just and i couldn't think that they're axles are any stronger than a 7.5

Alex FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I answered those questions myself with a lot of research. For those wondering i ordered a Lock-Right by Powertrax with a set of Richmond 4.56:1 gears. I got an install kit and a new gasket as well. On top of that new u-joints for both ends.

I found the biggest tires i could find were BFG A/T's going at 31x10.5 10.5 being the biggest width i can fit to the 15x7's without problems.

When this stuff comes in i will start taking pics of the process and ill probrbaly sand and repaint the axle.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
seems like uve doing some research, thats good! u got covered almost every question u had. make sure u post pics of the build and post up the experiences u get with the locker, i want one in the long term plans lol

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I did my research too...Live and learn I suppose. Maybe read this thread:
http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54941
I was just reading this and I'm glad you decided to go with the 8.8, I have grenaded 3 7.5's 2 with 4.56's and 1 with 3.73s and on a 4th occasion a crosspin. That's why I'm in the middle of my 31 spline 8.8 swap. The 7.5 really doesn't compare to the 8.8. Thanks for buying those gears to help fund my project!

Edit: I just grinded the teeth on my new gear set yesterday I'll snap some pictures for you later. It's hardly noticable.
Good luck!

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I understand were you coming from on this but my friend has a 4x4 ranger without either of the diff's locked and he gets stuck in places that locked 2wd trucks just ease over.
Let me guess... situations requiring articulation where possibly one drive wheel will come off the ground and the open diff kicks in?

Lock a 4x4 and there's no contest... even with just a rear locker

But looking forward to the build. Interested to see where it takes ya. :icon_thumby:

Alex FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Let me guess... situations requiring articulation where possibly one drive wheel will come off the ground and the open diff kicks in?

Lock a 4x4 and there's no contest... even with just a rear locker

But looking forward to the build. Interested to see where it takes ya. :icon_thumby:
Yea i understand this but it is funny to see a 4wd stuck spinning 2 tires. a locked 4wd would be by far the best.

I loocked at that thread, if i install the cross pin before i put the ring gear on then this problem would be gone right? The one guy said all is the same in the 8.8 except the carrier, but if i went detroit locker then thats not a problem. 28 spline could be a weakness but then a guy in that thread had a 28 spline 8.8 that had no issues.

Seems that all issues with the 7.5 are solved with a detroit locker?

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe, maybe not.

I suppose your projects going to be the guinea pig?

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
he meant your project would be like a hamster, used for testing if it wil wokr fine or not.
the possibility of breaking the diff kinda scares me. i could get an 8.8 in act i found one from an explorer sport(01 with disk brakes, couldnt see the gears). but the locker itself with shippings will run about 480-500$ and the axle for like 420-450$
thats something i need to thing very well before i get into it.

seems like getting a 4wd ride just for wheeling would be a better option conisdering the costs on maintenance for my Ranger and that when whelling susp parts wear out faster and always prone to break something.

good thread to read

Alex FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
There are advantages on both sides of the scale and i find them equal.

The 7.5 has the same inside axle shafts as the 8.8, the only difference seems to be the 28 spline pinion and the bigger case and bigger outside shafts. (Based on info i've found so if its wrong correct me.)

The weak point is the carrier in the 7.5 which makes me want to get a Detroit instead. i canceled that order before it was shipped so i can order a detroit. and if i put the pins in the carrier before i put the ring gear on then i dont have to worry about it hitting and i will order a strong non-notched pin.

IMO it all depends on budget and what your doing. this is not a off road beast machine project, its a DD/WW. if i wanted it off road only id save for a 4x4. Ill be running trails with some moderate hills but ill have about 300-400 lbs in the back.

I'm 17 with a fast food job and i'm not rolling in the cash, but the 7.5 doest bother me for what i'm doing. As for getting stuck, my 2wd sport quad never got even close to stuck. and ill have a winch.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
hmm yeah good points, i thought the same about mine, i do think too that the 7.5 will handle good enough for light trail wheeling, now if i stuff 35's and go rock crawling of course something's gonna fail.
i would like to know if the lock right in a 7.5 will hold up to the task, or its so weak that in the first mud hole its gonna break??-again in light wheeling use.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure what you mean by that?
Good luck with it.

If you build the 7.5 and it breaks, you learned it's limits.

If it holds up to what you use it for, good job.

I'll be following along!

Alex FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Good luck with it.

If you build the 7.5 and it breaks, you learned it's limits.

If it holds up to what you use it for, good job.

I'll be following along!
Thanks,

So i found some numbers on the 7.5, keep in mind these are street ratings but they should handle anything from 300-400 rwhp. i do not think a ranger 3.0 even comes close to that. Those are carrier ratings and not much is said about when axle shafts break an such. To be safe i'm waiting for one more paycheck to get the Detroit. Sure it's another week but i'm sure its worth it. Also getting a stronger made pinion and ring gear set.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

hmm yeah good points, i thought the same about mine, i do think too that the 7.5 will handle good enough for light trail wheeling, now if i stuff 35's and go rock crawling of course something's gonna fail.
i would like to know if the lock right in a 7.5 will hold up to the task, or its so weak that in the first mud hole its gonna break??-again in light wheeling use.
With what i found out about street rwhp ratings i think it will be fine but im goin to make sure with this detroit. Ill be running 29's now and later 31's so i have no worry about it.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals