• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2010 Explorer ignition/shifter issues

jtaborsky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
32's
My credo
Break. Upgrade. Repeat.
2010 Explorer, 4.0, 4wd

Problem started when I was running wires for an amp from the radio to the rear of the vehicle. I cannot get the key to return to the "off" position and therefore cannot remove the keys. I also cannot get the shifter out of park, even using the manual release switch on the passenger side of the shifter assembly. If I disconnect the battery, I can remove the keys, but I still cannot get the shifter to move, even with the manual release switch.

I pulled wires from the stereo to the driver's side of the dash, then down through the plastic moldings. I didn't feel any resistance when pulling my wires, so I don't THINK I caused any damage to the existing wiring, but obviously something went wrong.

I can still start the vehicle, but I can't even move the shifter when the engine running.

Any ideas what would cause both issues? I don't hear the usual click when I step on the brakes, but my brake light comes on when I push the brake pedal, so I don't think that's the issue. I don't have any stored trouble codes.

What's my next step, besides sending this piece of **** off to make glue and driving my Bronco II, whose computer helps correct issues rather than help cause them.

Thanks for reading.
- Joe

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals