• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2008 Ranger FX4 tire upgrade?

DaveyFX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi all,

I'm Dave from Calgary, Alberta. A proud owner of a brand new 2008 FX4 (pics to follow).

Just curious in regards to the largest tire size that will fit under the stock suspension on my new truck. I would like to upgrade to fill out the fender flares.

Thanks in advance.

edit: found the sticky ...

On '93-'08 4x4 Rangers (and all Edge/Trailhead models), a 31x10.50R15 or a 265/75R16 will fit, depending on if you have the 15" or 16" stock wheels (16s are common on '98-'08)

Please forgive the n00b. :bye:

Last edited:

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i just put some 265/75/17 terra grapplers on 17x8 moto metals on my 08 fx4 they dont scrub a bit no matter what. filled out nice. im gona torsion crank it and put in some shackles for the hell of it tho

DaveyFX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
17s... really?
I know it's not the appropriate section, but can someone elaborate on the torsion bars as well? Is it possible to lift my truck by simply adjusting the torsion bars? Thanks.

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do a search on "Torsion Twist". It is easy and free to lift the front end of your truck up to about 2".....

DaveyFX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Chris, will do.
So there's the torsion twist up front, but what do I do about the rear? Leaf-over?
You'll have to pardon my ignorance. This is my first truck, I've made the switch from the import side (I've only owned Toyota and Honda cars).

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you just want to level the truck, you probably don't have to do anything with the back. Mine was 2" higher in the rear when i bought it so a 2" torsion twist levelled the truck perfectly. Sitting dead level like that unloaded of course meant as soon as anything went in the back my truck looked like dog dragging it's a$$.

For about $60.00 (including shipping etc) on ebay you can order new shackles to lift the back either 1" or 2" (the shackles are selectable for if you want 1" or 2" out of them.). Much easier then an add a leaf and safer/better performing than using blocks.

Took me about 45min per side to put them in and the truck looks much better now.

I've got thread somewhere about my shackle install, I'll try and throw a picture or two in it for you.

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oh yeah, with the lift I've got I clear 265/75 16's nicely, before the shackles they did catch on the front inside edge of my wheel wells (only when I really stuff it in there though) but with the shackles all is good......

DaveyFX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks man, this is all really helpful. If you could link me to said thread, that'd be great.
So you're saying roughly $60.00 and I've got myself a 2" lift all around? Damn, I knew I bought this truck for a reason. :icon_thumby:

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I just received my 29.00 ebay greasable 2'' shackles. my 17's rub a tiny bit due to the backspacing on the rear edge of the front fender. im gona TT the front 2'' and use the shackles to keep it looking raked.

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks man, this is all really helpful. If you could link me to said thread, that'd be great.
So you're saying roughly $60.00 and I've got myself a 2" lift all around? Damn, I knew I bought this truck for a reason. :icon_thumby:

You might need to add another $6 to replace one of the adjuster bolts (I had to replace my d side, stock was too short) but yeah, $60 for 2" all around.....

DaveyFX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You might need to add another $6 to replace one of the adjuster bolts (I had to replace my d side, stock was too short) but yeah, $60 for 2" all around.....
still really cheap ... thanks!
FYI - I made a thread in the "show off your truck" section which has lots of pics of my FX4.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals