• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 Rear Brake Disc Conversion: Was it Worth It?

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I've never had trouble with either drums or discs. I've had the Ranger for just a year and a half. One of the drums stuck once while I was backing up and for just a little while. I've had similar minor issues with discs on my car but only during the cold and only once in a great while. My original question was based based on my plan to upgrade my front discs. I thought that if they stop the truck a little faster, maybe I should make some attempt to make the rears stop faster too.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Even an Explorer axle with drum brakes is an upgrade for almost any Ranger. Just make sure if you got four wheel drive that the gear ratio is the same.

I don't like to do this, but I'm going to be relaying information that I was told but never verified. I was told that drum brakes are much more desirable for mudding or off-roading where you would get your Hub submerged in Mud or water at times, that the drums protect the brakes as opposed to the calipers with disc's getting wet and being harder to stop and or all muddy with sand another debris caught in the brake pad.
True to a point. Drums aren't water proof, so some gets in but not at the level of exposure discs get. Slotted rotors help clear the dirt, mud, and muck better than not having slots. So what you say has some merit but with enough exposure, you get quite a bit of crap in a drum brake and when that happens, they don't clear like a disc will. The chances are way lower but not zero.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't like to do this, but I'm going to be relaying information that I was told but never verified. I was told that drum brakes are much more desirable for mudding or off-roading where you would get your Hub submerged in Mud or water at times, that the drums protect the brakes as opposed to the calipers with disc's getting wet and being harder to stop and or all muddy with sand another debris caught in the brake pad.
Toyota has tooted that horn forever after being the only truck (Tacoma) with drum brakes for like the last 10-15 years.

They just went to disk brakes all around for 2024...

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
ha ha ha /\ that is always my question because it seems like one is the american spelling and one is the english spelling. but i never remember so i write it both ways.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is it disc or disk?
I almost use them interchangably. I know I probably shouldn't and I find myself asking that same question nearly every time I type one or the other, but then usually decide that the reader will know what I'm saying and not worry about it.

The main reason that disc is in my vocabulary is because of CDs. Those are Compact Discs, though most other uses of the word on computers uses the disk spelling. Hard Disk, Floppy Disk, etc. I typically called those drives rather than disks, so my use of the word in reference to CDs probably influenced my thoughts there.

I also typically use rotor rather than disk/disc when referring to the brake part, so I generally used the disc spelling a lot more than the disk spelling over the years.

ha ha ha /\ that is always my question because it seems like one is the american spelling and one is the english spelling. but i never remember so i write it both ways.
This topic got me curious so I consulted google and it looks like you are kind of right.

Doesn't seem so much a British vs American thing, but definitely different etymologies (origins) and preferences of use. Seems that Disk originated from the greek word diskos, while disc originated from latin discus. The greek diskos referred to a round flat object (a disk) that was thrown for distance. Discus in latin referring to a shape of an object (disk, dish), though has since evolved to be used for the sport where a round flat object (a disk) is thrown for distance. Seem that since antiquity, the two have been used nearly interchangably. Disc is more comon in british english while disk is more common in american english, though both use both interchangably.

According to Marriam-Webster: "Disc is seen more often in the music industry and throwable objects such as Frisbees, whereas disk is the preferred spelling in computer-related lingo such as floppy disk."

Well based on that explination, I can tell you for sure that some times the correct word to use can vary for the same object. It might be hard disk or floppy disk when installed in a computer, but as soon as it pisses me off it's liable to be come a hard disc or floppy disc as it flies across the room. The article doesn't mention brakes.

I would say disc is probably the correct spelling when referring to a brake system, since the rotor can be both musical and a throwable object like a frisbee. Like the computer parts above, it it pisses me off enough I will make it fly across the room and, depending on who it hits on the way, it might also be a musical instrument. It makes music while pounding on it with the 5lb sledge to get it to come off, and it makes music when it finally pops off and lands on my foot. Yes, if the language in a lot of (c)Rap can be called music, then my cussing and swearing can too.

Now back to your regularly scheduled break discussion...

(Yes, I intentionally misspelled break since it's another common homonym found around brake discussions)

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Axle or axel?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
went off in the weeds really quickly there...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals