• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 Ranger 3.0L Cuts Out around 3000 RPM

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If it ain't broke, I can't fix it.
Let me start out by saying that I went down a long dark road during the journey leading up to this, so this one requires a lot of reading...

I have two 2003 Ranger Edge 3.0L trucks. One is at AT, one a MT. I wanted to swap the transmissions between the trucks, so needless to say I swapped all the necessary parts from the automatic trans truck to the original MT truck. I'm listing only the items that I think might affect this issue:

transmission
PCM
PCM/transmission harness
steering column
pedal assembly

To start the MT truck, I had to put a jumper on the clutch safety switch.
When I started the it, it ran fine for like 10 minutes and then started to run really rough. I think most of the issue was due to a vacuum leak at the PCV valve, but I revved the engine a bit to see if there was something obvious going on. This is when I first witnessed the engine cutting out at 3000 RPMs. It's almost like there's a governor set to cut the engine when it hits 3k.

I was already having misgivings about this swap, so this clinched it for me. I decided to swap everything back to the original AT truck. When I started it up, I immediately went to check on the cutting out issue by hitting the gas. Same exact problem I had when the AT parts were in the MT truck.

Anyone have any ideas? It obviously can't be an engine sensor problem as the sensors are different on the two trucks.

Here is a link to youtube with video of the issue:

https://youtu.be/URkVL-Y7uws

Any help is greatly appreciated!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The PCM will govern the engine to 3000 RPM if it think's an automatic transmission is not in gear. Not sure how that is happening in your case, but it sounds like what you're describing.

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The PCM will govern the engine to 3000 RPM if it think's an automatic transmission is not in gear. Not sure how that is happening in your case, but it sounds like what you're describing.
I just bought the AT Ranger before doing the swap, so I've never owned one. I've had 10 or so MT Rangers, so this is new territory for me. This is why I consulted the experts... guys like yourself. :dntknw:

Are you saying that if the truck is in Park and you press the accelerator that it will govern at 3K or do you mean it will govern at 3K when driving if the PCM thinks it's not in gear? I have not road tested the vehicle. I discovered this with it in Park...

Thanks.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
In park (and neutral as I recall), it will be governed to 3000 to protect the torque converter. Sounds like you're experiencing normal behavior.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
In park (and neutral as I recall), it will be governed to 3000 to protect the torque converter. Sounds like you're experiencing normal behavior.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
You sir are correct ^. I recently worked on a 03 b4000 with the 4.0. The pcm will indeed stop the engine from going over 3000 rpms. It bounces around 3000 and does not go past it. It is completely normal. Once you get going down the road it is fine. There are a couple of other manufactures that program this in also.

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
You sir are correct ^. I recently worked on a 03 b4000 with the 4.0. The pcm will indeed stop the engine from going over 3000 rpms. It bounces around 3000 and does not go past it. It is completely normal. Once you get going down the road it is fine. There are a couple of other manufactures that program this in also.
My greatest thanks to you both! I was freaking out. Bet you haven't heard that one in a while.

:icon_thumby:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Your are welcome. We are glad to help. We learn new things everyday.
:headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals