• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 4.0L starting problem

Glen66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2002 4.0 4x4XLT with 350,000 kms on the engine.

The truck runs well but sometimes (maybe 1 in 20) it's hard to start. It turns over slowly and sounds like the battery is nearly dead. It has always started but I'm afraid it's going to leave me stranded some day.

A few months ago, I had a charging problem that caused the battery to discharge several times. It turned out it was one of the wires that connect to the alternator. Once I found and fixed it, the alternator (new) has been running just fine. The truck has been driven very little since then as I was doing some major repairs to the frame and body.

I had a local repair shot check the battery and they said it was fine but I don't know how or even if they tested it.

The battery is less than 2 years, the starter about 3 years.

Could this be a bad ground somewhere, maybe to the starter? Could it be the battery? How can I narrow it down.

Thanks,

Glen

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals