• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 4.0 Ranger Tranny Problems

94SPLASH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought a 2002 Ranger 4.0 4X4 Auto with 98,000 mi. and I have been experiencing some quirks in the shifting. I've taken it to two trans shops and they both said theres no code so everything is fine. The truck feels almost like it shifts right thru third and into fourth.

The Aamco I took it to said. "They felt it doing it but turned O.D. off and it still did it. So it was staying in third because its a four speed auto and with O.D. off it would have to stay in third. So thats just the way that tranny feels when it shifts into third" Then I pointed out to the guy that it's a five speed not a four speed and he said Ford never put five speed autos in Rangers. I turned around and walked out.

The second guy I took it to is a friend of a friend and he said there where no codes and he didn't feel it doing anything funny. Which I could belive because I didn't feel it doing it after I left Aamco. I dont know if they reset somthing or what but the rest of the day it was fine.

Since then it has started acting up again and now it also shifts funny if you slow down like to make a turn and then go to speed back up almost like it hangs in a high gear and then slams into a lower gear.

Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to cover all my bases here and give you guys all the info you need

94SPLASH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Any ideas guys? My warranty is about to expire and I really want to get this fixed on the dealers dime. Does this sound like the valve body gasket? Also what is the 3-4 flair? More specifically what does flair mean?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals