• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 Ranger 302 swap

Gordo03

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
31”
I could use some guidance I’m trying to do all the research in preparation to do a 5.0 swap into my 2001 ranger so far what I’m getting from this is if I basically strip the ranger engine trans and complete dash and all wiring within and do the same on a 99-01 explorer and take everything it should be fairly seamless plug and play I’m seeing I’m going to have issues with the Speedo I don’t feel I’m grasping what I will be needing to do with that I’m seeing to use the Dakota digital but if I’m removing the stock trans that has the speed sensor and I won’t have vss what am I using for the input to the Dakota and I’m not finding any wiring diagrams also if there’s any information on possible issues I’d be running into trying to take everything from the explorer and into the ranger short of a few items

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I could use some guidance I’m trying to do all the research in preparation to do a 5.0 swap into my 2001 ranger so far what I’m getting from this is if I basically strip the ranger engine trans and complete dash and all wiring within and do the same on a 99-01 explorer and take everything it should be fairly seamless plug and play I’m seeing I’m going to have issues with the Speedo I don’t feel I’m grasping what I will be needing to do with that I’m seeing to use the Dakota digital but if I’m removing the stock trans that has the speed sensor and I won’t have vss what am I using for the input to the Dakota and I’m not finding any wiring diagrams also if there’s any information on possible issues I’d be running into trying to take everything from the explorer and into the ranger short of a few items
I think the VSS is in the rear axle.

Gordo03

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
31”
I think the VSS is in the rear axle.
Well for what I was seeing all the explorers for the swap are vss in rear axle but 2001+ rangers are oss in the transfer case but if that’s getting pulled then I don’t get where any speed sensor would be to even use the Dakota digital

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Well for what I was seeing all the explorers for the swap are vss in rear axle but 2001+ rangers are oss in the transfer case but if that’s getting pulled then I don’t get where any speed sensor would be to even use the Dakota digital
Im not familar with ones that new...but maybe swapping in an explorer rear axle or one from an earlier ranger with the VSS in the axle maybe an option?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I wasn't aware the VSS in the rear axle ever went away. Easiest way to fix that would be to use the axle from the donor. Assuming ratio matches if it's 4x4. If 2wd, would be a good opportunity to lower the rear as well if that's the way you wanna go with this truck.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The sensor on the rear axle only disappeared in '10 when they went to rear disc and had traction control... other than that it's been in play since like '87

I don't think you have to get too crazy with the dash other than the GEM or whatever controls the dumb PATS system...

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you haven;t read it already, give this article int he tech library a good study.

I really hate to send people elsewhere, but I think there is someone on Explorer Forum that could really help you out on the speedometer issue and other nuances of installing a 5.0L in a 2001 and newer Ranger. Look for 410Fortune. He's probably been a member here too at some point, but I don't know a user name. Dude has almost made a business out of doing 5.0L swaps in these trucks, everything from the 80s models up. I think his latest project he's doing for someone is a full build and 5.0L swap on a 2007 using Holley EFI and getting it dang near integrated like factory with everything working.

bryan95502

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
No need to swap dash. Either splice in the PATS from the donor or send the ECM out to have it removed. I used Drag Radial Performance in FL. The main engine harness to the main vehicle harness needs to be modified and the c53(?) connector repined. You'll need wiring diagrams for both donor and Ranger. AC wiring needs to be modified, and one wire moved in the under hood fuse box for the starter to work. It's time-consuming, but not that hard to do. I got all the info to do everything from this forum

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals