• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ranger M50D-R1 Trans Problem

adamread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 2000 Ranger 4x4 with the 4.0 motor. It's a 5spd with what appears to be after my research an m50d-r1 transmission. Here's my problem;

It's really hard to shift gears, between 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, basically everything but fifth because I'm never really standing on it going into 5th. I've replaced the clutch master cylinder (it was leaking), and refilled the transmission with Amsoil full-synthetic Dexron III. The problem persists. From what I've read in other posts it sounds to me like the synchro rings are gone, does that sound about right to you guys?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

:icon_cheers:

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
no, you wouldnt have trouble with ALL of the synchros at the same time and out of the blue like that. To me it sounds like you have air in the clutch systme and if you just replaced the master it would be a good bet you do. Chances are there is an sir pocket trapped in the master so unbolt it from the firewall and pop the rod off the pedal and tilt the rod down so you can ge tthe air out of the master and then go ahead and bleed the system through the slave at the tranny.

adamread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've blead the system over and over again, I'm 100% positive that there is no air remaining in the system. Holding the car stopped in first gear with the clutch to the floor, if I rev the engine, the truck tries to pull ahead, meaning to me that the spring on the clutch is worn, or the slave isn't engaging fully. In any case, I have started ripping the trans/tcase out to put in a new clutchkit w/ slave cylinder.

Any tips from anyone who's done this job before. 'ts been a bit of a bitch getting the tcase disconnected from the transmission. Thanks.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
100% eh?

Care to take a bet?

If the slave is leaky, the problem will get worse with time. It will often get (momentarily) better with pumping. And there will be brake fluid on the bottom of the bellhousing. And the reservoir level will go down.

I fully agree with TireIron. I've seen dozens of claims like yours on this board that turned out to be exactly what he said.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
+3 on this. This does NOT sound like anything but the standard issue with trapped air in the master. Do as TireIron suggested and don't waste your time pulling the transmission.

adamread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I started pulling the trans earlier this afternoon, just taking a break for dinner, it's all unbolted, just gotta drop her out now.

I see what you guys are getting at, but I'm fairly sure that is not the issue on this particular problem. The vehicle has 126,000KMS, and I've been beating on it hard for the last 10,000 (the time i've owned it). Since I first bought it, it would slip in fifth if I stomped on it hard at lower speeds.

I've bled the clutch system through very thouroughly. As an FYI, i'm a rig mechanic in alberta and have plenty of experience with mechanical systems of all types, including hydraulics, and I'm not trying to be righteous but I've got this system bled.

When I installed the new master, I didn't thread it through the firewall, I secured it upside down at an angle so that the fluid would first have to fill the piston cavity before travelling through the line to the slave cylinder. I gravity bled it at first, then with a pressure chamber, and again when installed with an assistant pumping the pedal. It's bled.

I can see through the inspection hole that the slave is working and pressing against the clutch springs. With the clutch fully depressed, (even more so that unusual with a few tweaks I temporarily made to the pedal system, it is still not enough to disengage the clutch completely, and subsequently allowing smooth shifting.

I'll post my results when it's finished. Thanks for all your help. Any thoughts on pre-bleeding the system would be appreciated, I might pull master and line, and pre-bleed the system before installling the transmission.

Thanks guys, love the site.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals