• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 ranger 3.0 to 4.0 swap

Campbell5149

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
OK this mat be covered and I missed it but in an 98-01 ranger how is the 3.0 to 4.0 swap. Is the bell housing the same? Do I need a higher psi fuel pump. I have a complete donor exploder with a 4.0. Any help is appreciated

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It would be just like any other engine swap that starts with the 3.0. The 3.0 doesn't share any parts with any other engine they put in a Ranger, so everything that's related to the engine or touches the engine has to be swapped. Engine, Trans, exhaust, wiring harness, PCM, and you may have to battle PATS depending on the year of the Explorer.

Depending on the year of the donor Explorer, you may have fuel system issues with one being "return" style, and the other being "returnless" but if they're both the same style, then your stock pump is probably fine. Is the Explorer a 4.0 OHV, or 4.0 SOHC?

Last edited:

Campbell5149

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I got a sohc motor explorer. I figured on the pats already and I know the system inside out (lots of customer cars with pats issues) but the trans I have is a 4wd and burned up so I was hoping to use my trans. This truck might end up going to the bone yard I'm about fed up with it.

Campbell5149

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Its a shame to junk it, its a clean southern ranger but it just has some issues that in my opinion aren't worth fixing. I just had heads done for it, spent a lot on pcm, rearend, brakes ect. But the block has a bad sleeve on number 6 and while it holds compression its got a piston slap so its either stuff another 3.0 in it, do a 4.0 swap that I already own, or junk it.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Easiest route would be to get another 3.0 out of a wrecked ranger. It is a direct swap. Or another transmission for the exploder and do the entire drivetrain swap.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals