• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ranger 2.5 I4 - transmission slipping

Leever2000

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Transmission is slipping when cold and gradually works better when gets warm. Thinking about adding some transmission conditioner. Should I remove and replace transmission fluid first then conditioner or just add conditioner. Thoughts?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You have a 4R44E automatic in a 2000 2.5l Ranger
Expected miles before clutches and bands wear out is 250k, but really depends on service and usage(heat)

Look at the fluid on the dipstick, darker red means its overheating so yes change it and the filter

"Trans fix" type fluids help to seal gasket and seal leaks, also help clutches and bands to grip better
But it doesn't "fix" anything but can help to get a few more miles out of an older automatic

Slow to engage Reverse means a pressure issue, which can also cause slipping in forward gears
Trans fix helps to raise the pressure back up

Leever2000

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You have a 4R44E automatic in a 2000 2.5l Ranger
Expected miles before clutches and bands wear out is 250k, but really depends on service and usage(heat) - My Ranger has approx 210,000

Look at the fluid on the dipstick, darker red means its overheating so yes change it and the filter - The fluid color is darker red.

"Trans fix" type fluids help to seal gasket and seal leaks, also help clutches and bands to grip better , But it doesn't "fix" anything but can help to get a few more miles out of an older automatic - Does the trans fix hasten the total breakdown or just help it work better until the inevitable total breakdown?

Slow to engage Reverse means a pressure issue, which can also cause slipping in forward gears
Trans fix helps to raise the pressure back up - Exactly what is happening!
Background - a couple years back the Ranger was my daily driver until I saw the heavy corrosion on the frame. Aggressive rust/corrosion on the front passenger side where the strut tower/control arm etc... attach and would not be pretty if hit a pothole a higher speeds. Anyways decided to keep on road locally/slower speed etc....

Main question if I add the "Trans Fix" now will it hasten the demise?

Thanks for your information this is very helpful!

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Have you checked the fluid level?

Usually when it acts up cold but is fine warm its just low.

If something is cooked its usually the opposite

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Background - a couple years back the Ranger was my daily driver until I saw the heavy corrosion on the frame. Aggressive rust/corrosion on the front passenger side where the strut tower/control arm etc... attach and would not be pretty if hit a pothole a higher speeds. Anyways decided to keep on road locally/slower speed etc....

Main question if I add the "Trans Fix" now will it hasten the demise?

Thanks for your information this is very helpful!
I don't think Trans Fix will harm anything. It's just a bandaid that kicks the issue down the road. Sooner or later it's going to need fixed and possibly cost more to fix since the needed repair has been delayed.

If you don't have the money to fix it now, Trans Fix will keep you on the road and give you time to save up the money needed to repair or replace the transmission.

Leever2000

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Answering Rusty ol Ranger - the fluid level is a low

I don't think Trans Fix will harm anything. It's just a bandaid that kicks the issue down the road. Sooner or later it's going to need fixed and possibly cost more to fix since the needed repair has been delayed. I will add a quart of ATF and some trans fix?

If you don't have the money to fix it now, Trans Fix will keep you on the road and give you time to save up the money needed to repair or replace the transmission. I have the money but the Ranger is really a back up vehicle due to the frame being corroded to the point of not on the top of my priority list, but if I can get it back to just local running around that would be a gain. See picture of frame on passenger side where top strut mount. This is why not pressed.2000_FordRanger-passenger_strut_mount.jpg

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Answering Rusty ol Ranger - the fluid level is a low
Follow the directions on the bottle. I suspect it will tell you to pour it in first and then add ATF as needed. You don't want to over fill the transmission.

Leever2000

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Follow the directions on the bottle. I suspect it will tell you to pour it in first and then add ATF as needed. You don't want to over fill the transmission.
Will do, and thanks for the information. I will add the Trans fix first then the ATF and not overfill.

Leever2000

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The Ranger is running again with a transmission that is no longer slippin!

Thanks for all of the information

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals