• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Delete 2.9L JBA/Pace Setter Headers

TexasDuck66

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock LIft
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
235/75/R15s
Hi there, I have a 1988 Ford Ranger Extended Cab with a 2.9L, 4WD, 5 Speed that I'm in need of some aftermarket headers for. JBA and Pacesetter no longer produces any and I was wanting to know if anyone had a set of JBA or Pacesetters that are in great shape they'd be willing to sell to me.

Franken5liter

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31”
Found a listing on bolo motorsports website, link is below. Not much else out there but check eBay from time to time, I tend to get lucky on random stuff there if I look often enough. Use the PaceSetter P/N 70-1118 whenever searching, tends to lead to mkre hits.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@TexasDuck66 ,
If you want your headers to last, JBA's, Borla, Edlebrock among others are well constructed and will last. I do not know of a set that Pacesetter offers that will do the same.

Even back in the early 90's, this situation reared it's head. The Pacesetters we're so much cheaper; I waa indeed fortunate to be plugged in with some mechanics who weren't afraid to tell.me the truth.

I have a neighbor with selective listening. He informed me that he had decided to purchase a set of headers, I shared everything that I know, the underlying score being buy quality, use locking header fasteners and enjoy the increased performance.

Two out of 3...IS BAD. He bought the mild steel version and used the Chinesium bolts that were supplied, then tried to enjoy it. He was tightening header bolts every week and not 12 months later he is left not understanding why the headers are already rusting away.

SECRET HINT:
Go-to your local auto parts store and compare the exhaust manifold gasket for a 1988 2.9l to the exhaust manifold gasket gasket to a 1998+ OHV 4.0l, then report what you've learned 🙂

Last edited:

TexasDuck66

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock LIft
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
235/75/R15s
@TexasDuck66 ,
If you want your headers to last, JBA's, Borla, Edlebrock among others are well constructed and will last. I do not know of a set that Pacesetter offers that will do the same.

Even back in the early 90's, this situation reared it's head. The Pacesetters we're so much cheaper; I waa indeed fortunate to be plugged in with some mechanics who weren't afraid to tell.me the truth.

I have a neighbor with selective listening. He informed me that he had decided to purchase a set of headers, I shared everything that I know, the underlying score being buy quality, use locking header fasteners and enjoy the increased performance.

Two out of 3...IS BAD. He bought the mild steel version and used the Chinesium bolts that were supplied, then tried to enjoy it. He was tightening header bolts every week and not 12 months later he is left not understanding why the headers are already rusting away.

SECRET HINT:
Go-to your local auto parts store and compare the exhaust manifold gasket for a 1988 2.9l to the exhaust manifold gasket gasket to a 1998+ OHV 4.0l, then report what you've learned 🙂
From what I can tell, the exhaust gaskets bolt up perfect and have no differences other than the 4.0 holes being bigger. I'm gonna keep looking around before I make a purchase on a set of 4.0 headers.

Attachments

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@TexasDuck66 ,
GreaT JOB MATE!!

The next and more amazing pic will be the 2.9l gasket on 98+ OHV 4.0l head exhaust ports ..)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals