• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 how do i solve this?

beauknowz

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 and 87 bronc
Make / Model
fords
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
question first, symptoms second:

question: why is my truck dong this?

symptons: first my 87 bronco 2 would kind of jerk while driving on the trail, that lead to stalling and that lead to both fuel pumps not working.

i replaced the fuel filter and the in tank pump with new ones.
then replaced the frame mount pump with a used one from junkyard. its wheezing so i will ask for a replacement. (im sure they are not supposed to wheeze, even if it be's quiet off and on.)

i tried to check fuel pressure at the rail but i think my valve is too deep, didnt have time to adjust it, will do that in the morning.

today i blew out the fuel return vent line to make sure it wasnt clogged. (i actually blew the supply line first) now the return line flows fuel where it didnt before.

so, it idled fine for me for 20 to 30 min. i smiled, its christmas day and i get to drive her. wanted to charge battery a little. so it drove for less than 5 min before starting to sputter. acting low on fuel.
i had repaired the float in the tank so the gauge works, plus i saw the couple of gallons in there. ( i made an access hole in the back so i dont have to pull the tank to see in it.)

problem comes and goes, more so once motor is warm. if i let off gas it will idle fine, but if i give it gas it tries to stall. (but it still wants to stay running)

before posting i did read some, i see to check the fuel pressure regulator and see if it leaks gas. also, i have an analog meter to see if there are any codes to see.

today it was mentioned to me that a bad gas cap can cause similar problems.

i am not a pro, or an amatuer, but i am a ford guy. any help you guys have will be much appreciated.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
question first, symptoms second:

question: why is my truck dong this?

symptons: first my 87 bronco 2 would kind of jerk while driving on the trail, that lead to stalling and that lead to both fuel pumps not working.

i replaced the fuel filter and the in tank pump with new ones.
then replaced the frame mount pump with a used one from junkyard. its wheezing so i will ask for a replacement. (im sure they are not supposed to wheeze, even if it be's quiet off and on.)

i tried to check fuel pressure at the rail but i think my valve is too deep, didnt have time to adjust it, will do that in the morning.

today i blew out the fuel return vent line to make sure it wasnt clogged. (i actually blew the supply line first) now the return line flows fuel where it didnt before.

so, it idled fine for me for 20 to 30 min. i smiled, its christmas day and i get to drive her. wanted to charge battery a little. so it drove for less than 5 min before starting to sputter. acting low on fuel.
i had repaired the float in the tank so the gauge works, plus i saw the couple of gallons in there. ( i made an access hole in the back so i dont have to pull the tank to see in it.)

problem comes and goes, more so once motor is warm. if i let off gas it will idle fine, but if i give it gas it tries to stall. (but it still wants to stay running)

before posting i did read some, i see to check the fuel pressure regulator and see if it leaks gas. also, i have an analog meter to see if there are any codes to see.

today it was mentioned to me that a bad gas cap can cause similar problems.

i am not a pro, or an amatuer, but i am a ford guy. any help you guys have will be much appreciated.
Merry CHRISTmas!

It would seem that you are on the right track...getting codes 1st.

fuel pressure reading is also good to know. As far as the gas cap...when you have been running it, does it release pressure when you go to refill/add to the gas tank?? (as you remove the cap)

Might not hurt to test the TFI ( ignition module) either

beauknowz

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 and 87 bronc
Make / Model
fords
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

for the gas cap, no i dont recall it sounding like a release of pressure. i can swap the one from my explorer temporarily if it fits and see if that does anything.

i can look around on here before i go to learn about the TFI. where it is and how to test.

thanks

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
you need to know the fuel pressure and see if it is dropping under load. then go from there and find out WHAT you are losing when you step on the gas

it could also be as simple as water in the fuel tank. drive it much?

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic

beauknowz

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86 and 87 bronc
Make / Model
fords
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

ok, she runs!!

this is what i did:
got the main fuel pump replaced from the junkyard, this one looked a little different so i looked for a name ........bosch! so im guessing its a little better than the ones with no name. it didtn wheeze either

put it on and nada, no pressure. i had a fuel pressure gauge hooked up the whole time to see what was up. i spent time trying to figure out why it wouldnt work, tried bypassing the inertia switch, thought about all kinds of things. called a friend and based on symptoms he said " sounds like clogged fuel lines".

ok so i had already blown out the fuel return vent line, and had checked tank to pump line and pump to rail line. so , took those loose again and blew out real good. ( i think the special resevoir tip had some crap in it.)

so i put it all back together and turn the keyto on , 4 lbs, again, 10 lbs, keep on till its 40 lbs. im all stoked, so i hit the key.........dead battery! hoooah! gotta laugh at that.

after a jump it started the first time. idled it about 20 min to get the battery back up. putted it around for a while to make sure it wasnt faking me out again, got stuck in a really stupid way, had to get pulled out by a samurai.
so im back in business again. hopefully she will be good for a while.

next major issue to tackle is the loss of second gear. its gonna have to wiat till it warms up though, and i have some money and time to mess with it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals