• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 that doesn't oil the top end well

Yank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 4x4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have been trying to figure this engine out in my spare time. Spare time is getting scarce theses days so can you guys help me out? The top end isn't oiling the way it should on either side but the left side is nearly dry. Here is what's been done to it:

I had a head put on 6 years ago
It's sat up for three years
I replaced the lifter assemblies 2 years ago
oil pressure is 40lbs
compression is around 90 on all cylinders

I know it could be a clogged oil passage(s), a spun bearing, etc... Where would you guys start first. The oil rail is supposed to be full of oil or at least partially full...right? I've been thinking about pulling the oil pan for a look-see but I need cheaper less invasive ideas first. Thanks

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If oil is going to one side and not the other, it is probably a blocked passage. You may want to take the rocker assembly(s) off and have a look. If the engine has a lot of sludge, be careful not to know anything into the oil passages.
The oil rail just needs to get some oil, not necessarily a flood; the rockers and valve tips should have oil getting to all of them.
You don't really need a lot of pressure and 40lb should do it.
Equal compression is a good sign but if the engine is high mileage and leaking oil, an overhaul may be in order.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals