• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 Blow by Help???

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have got an 83 ranger 4x4 with 180 something in it. I have got a 289 ready to go to the machine shop in a couple of months when I get some money saved up. I just rebuilt the c5 and it runs great. Before the tranny went out I had to rev the engine high to warm it up for the tranny to engage. It set for 2 months and when I reinstalled the tranny 2 months later the engine had more blow by than before. I had a catch can made with a hose from the filler tube to a can with a filter material in it with a vent filter on top. It worked okay but it blew alot of oil out too(smoke) We went to Wind Rock and it blew 1 quart of oil from Knoxville tn Lafollete which is about 40 miles ish. It smoked the whole time we were wheelin and it stalled all the time and the brakes were splashy cause the oil had compromised the vacuum lines. Anyway I tried to take out the EGR valve and run a tube from the filler cap to the EGR intake hole. And move the vacuum line from the back of the carb to the tree on the back of the intake manifold. When I started it I heard this hissing and it stalled out. I restarted it and found the hissing was coming from the dip stick. There was so much pressure it was almost blowing the dip stick out of the tube and oil everywhere. My question is this.... Is it worth trying to do anything to it to stop the blow by ie; replacing the rubber valve stem seats, or is it the rings and just a lost cause and just push to get the 289 back and in? Any advice would be appreciated. Especially id any one has dealt with this on a 2.8 before. Thanks:icon_thumby:

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Probably the rings, and there is no way to fix them from the outside. Might be the valve seats too, same story.

The valve seals just keep too much oil from going down the guides and getting burned in the chamber. They don't hold compression at all.

Probably best if you cut your losses and pump your resources into another engine if it is already in the works.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's what I afraid of. I guess I'll just to get that 289 ready to go a little sooner.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Did you change the pcv valve. Just cleaning it dont work put a new one in from a 302 to help pull the blowby into the cylinders. You can do a compression test and check the vacuum pressure. You didnt say anything about putting a new pcv valve in it. That is probably the most neglected part of PM. Always put a new pcv valve in your engines when you change the plugs.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some hints!

Ok your problem is the blowby can't get out fast enough.. We all know this..
It seems the best pcv for lots of blowby is from a 400 cu in Chevy truck from days past.. You could try one of those..
If that don't work then what I have done before was to take the pcv out and run a 90* elbow in the hole with a hose directly to the tree.. That does it for almost all blowby problems..
BUT in a worst case I have had to run TWO hoses from the valve cover to the tree.. That has always solved the blowby problem..
These hints should make the ride driveable until you get the new engine built.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I took the PCV valve out and did run an 90 degree elbow and run it into the hole the PCV valve was in and it was blowing so much that it was actually blowing the dipstick out of the tube. I put a new PCV valve in it when I bought it. I guess i can try the chevy valve? Why would I run hoses from the tree to the pcv hole? It's blowing out of the filler cap hole and the dip stick on the other side of the motor. Help me figure that one out Big Jim.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lots of blowby!

I took the PCV valve out and did run an 90 degree elbow and run it into the hole the PCV valve was in and it was blowing so much that it was actually blowing the dipstick out of the tube. I put a new PCV valve in it when I bought it. I guess i can try the chevy valve? Why would I run hoses from the tree to the pcv hole? It's blowing out of the filler cap hole and the dip stick on the other side of the motor. Help me figure that one out Big Jim.
Cause the tree has direct vacuum in it! That vacuum will pull the blowby out of the engine.. If that don't do it then add another hose to double the amount of vacuum. I've never seen one that would run, that enough vac wouldn't take care of the blowby.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't have any more openings on the tree, and wouldn't that pull it into the brake booster and the tranny vacuum modulator that is attached to the tree too?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Have you checked the PCV hose for blockage, pull the pcv valve off the hose and see if the engine still runs. My 95 jeep cherokee dont have a pcv it has a orifice or ccv maybe you could adapt it to pull more vac out of the engine just increase the orifice size in increments until your pulling enough vac for the amount of blowby. If you pull the pcv and the engine still runs you will need to pull the carb and clean out the sludge in the base.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Blow-by is like AIDS. It's not fixable. It's time for a replacement.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
SO!!!

I don't have any more openings on the tree, and wouldn't that pull it into the brake booster and the tranny vacuum modulator that is attached to the tree too?
First you ask for advice and then when you get TRIED AND TRUE advice you want to argue? "the tree is full" SO!! That's why they make Y's!
Big JIm :hottubfun::wub:

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not arguing, I'm asking, there is a difference. Don't get your pannies in a wad, and thanks for your advice!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Blow-by is like AIDS. It's not fixable. It's time for a replacement.
It is more than fixable, a rebuild is the cure.

The vacuum tree thing is a neat idea, mine has the exact same problem. But it is parked for the winter anyway (road salt) and I have a 302 ready and waiting to go in as soon as it is tolerable to work outside again.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update*****

After some great advice form Big Jim AKA Mr. Grumpy:D I got the hose from the filler cap ran to the tree after some finagling and a trip or 2 to Auto Zone, and It is not blowing smoke into the engine compartment any more or out the dip stick tube! Yay:yahoo:
I also had to fix the previous owners attempts to bypass the correct vacuum routes. It seems to run better and have more power, but it is idling really high and the brakes are a lot worse then they were before, really spongy and will not stop all the way. When I first got it it, they were real tight, but when I took it down the road they were real spongy and weak. Question is that oil that's going into the tree being forced back out somewhere else, because there is oil smoke coming from a undetected area, I thought it would just blow out the tail pipe? As usual any suggestion are appreciated.:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals