• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L to 4.0 SOHC swap questions/issues

dude55man

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello, I have recently swapped a 4.0 SOHC from a 2001 Explorer into my 2006 Ranger that had a 2.3L engine in it. So far, things went pretty well. I just had some weird engine mount issues for a bit, but I was able to get that sorted.
Now, my current issue is electrical. While I was able to snag the PCM off the Explorer, I was not able to get the ECU. With that, I'm having issues with it not wanting to crank off the key. I have checked the fuse running from the key to the starter circuit, and I get under 1 volt of electricity to that fuse when cranking.
Is there any idea what could be wrong with it? As well as, do I have to somehow find an ECU to get it to work in the first place?

Mostly asking as I was going to take it to a shop to get it diagnosed and fixed as I cannot figure out electrical to save my life, and last second (had an appointment scheduled) they turned me away. So I'm mostly wondering if I am absolutely screwed and just wait a whole lot of money for basically nothing

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Hello, I have recently swapped a 4.0 SOHC from a 2001 Explorer into my 2006 Ranger that had a 2.3L engine in it. So far, things went pretty well. I just had some weird engine mount issues for a bit, but I was able to get that sorted.
Now, my current issue is electrical. While I was able to snag the PCM off the Explorer, I was not able to get the ECU. With that, I'm having issues with it not wanting to crank off the key. I have checked the fuse running from the key to the starter circuit, and I get under 1 volt of electricity to that fuse when cranking.
Is there any idea what could be wrong with it? As well as, do I have to somehow find an ECU to get it to work in the first place?

Mostly asking as I was going to take it to a shop to get it diagnosed and fixed as I cannot figure out electrical to save my life, and last second (had an appointment scheduled) they turned me away. So I'm mostly wondering if I am absolutely screwed and just wait a whole lot of money for basically nothing
Its an issue with the PATS system more then likely.

Not sure on details but i think it involves reprogramming your key to the PCM you used or vise versa.

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's a PATS issue, and with your truck being a 2004 and up it gets complicated.

The instrument cluster and PCM are a matched set.

Easiest way is going to be to get a PCM, Instrument cluster, Key/Tumbler all from the same 2006 truck.

dude55man

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
PATS?
Oh bloody lame, and its there any way to get all that reflashed to work?

I did forget to mention that it only has manual keys, so no central locking or key FOB
It's a PATS issue, and with your truck being a 2004 and up it gets complicated.

The instrument cluster and PCM are a matched set.

Easiest way is going to be to get a PCM, Instrument cluster, Key/Tumbler all from the same 2006 truck.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
supposedly 2005 models do not have PATS.
for sure mine does not, it's a 2.3
however the computer is still married to the instrument panel for 2005

dude55man

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
supposedly 2005 models do not have PATS.
for sure mine does not, it's a 2.3
however the computer is still married to the instrument panel for 2005
I don't see how the instrument cluster would cause my issue as I never planned on changing that?
But again, what is PATS? Is that the anti-theft system? Because I'm not seeing any lightz on the dash about it

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I don't see how the instrument cluster would cause my issue as I never planned on changing that?
But again, what is PATS? Is that the anti-theft system? Because I'm not seeing any lightz on the dash about it
PATS= Passive anti theft system.

Basically theres something either in the column or behind the dash that reads the chip in the key that then gives the ECM (or whatever other computer) the OK to crank and start.

Your truck maybe didnt have it factory which is why you dont have a theft light blinking...but chances are whatever you pulled the engine and ECM from had it, and now the computers pissed that you dont have the proper key and is assuming youre trying to steal the truck.

Basically.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
BTW...im not sure youll need a whole cluster.....but probably a PATS enabled tumbler/key or possibly column, that youll then have to take either to a dealer or someone with the proper software to program everything togther and make it go.

dude55man

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Oooooh, okay thank you XD
I figured it was the anti-theft, but wanted to be sure

It still has the ECU from the 2.3, I was going to just get that reflashed as I saw that was a possibility or just fudge a VIN number on one of those sites that sells new ECU/PCMs (It won't be the first time the ECU and vehicle VIN number doesn't line up)
Same with the PCM so it doesn't freak out when looking for transmission signals that won't be there

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Oooooh, okay thank you XD
I figured it was the anti-theft, but wanted to be sure

It still has the ECU from the 2.3, I was going to just get that reflashed as I saw that was a possibility or just fudge a VIN number on one of those sites that sells new ECU/PCMs (It won't be the first time the ECU and vehicle VIN number doesn't line up)
Same with the PCM so it doesn't freak out when looking for transmission signals that won't be there
Thats above my paygrade. Lol.

No idea if thatll work or not

dude55man

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
XD Welp, guess we're all gonna find out then

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals