• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998-2000 short block going in a 1991 ranger

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys- I got a good deal on a NOS Motorcraft rebuilt 1998-2000 OHV short block. I would like to build it for my 1991 ranger and put it in to replace the old tired 4.0 OHV. Unfortunately, I am pretty not smart about this stuff. Wondering if some of you can help me. I am not looking to make it more powerful or trick it out. I really just want a reliable good for another 300k miles engine.

I think I need different heads than I have in my current ranger- and different pushrods. Can anyone tell me which heads and pushrods would be good ones to put in?

Will everything else off my old engine bolt on? Anything else I need to buy? I am assuming ill need new gaskets and such for valve cover, oil pan, oil filter extension thingy.

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This article has some good information: https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2001/04/rebuilding-the-ford-4-0l-pushrod-v6/

It looks like my flywheel won't work. That is fine, I am already running a SOHC clutch, I can change to an 8 bolt flywheel.

It also says I will need to use a later dipstick because the hole is bigger- should be able to source one of those easily.

Here is the part that concerns me about using a later engine in the aerostars which are designed for the early engines:

Rebuilders should not install an engine with the 95TM heads and deep-dish pistons in a ’95 or ’96 Aerostar. All of these engines had the same compression ratio whether they came with the original heads with the open chambers or the newer ones with the heart-shaped chambers, so they would seem to be interchangeable, but the computer calibration that was used for the old-style heads with the open chambers will not work with the newer heads with the fast-burn chambers. In fact, “It will burn the engine down in a few thousand miles,” according to a Ford engineer who worked on this engine program. Ford continued to use the early heads on the ’95 and ‘96 Aerostar because they still came with the early calibration, so rebuilders must do the same.

That is a little concerning. Any thoughts on this? I am not running any catalytic converter on my engine- but it sounds like there is something off with the mixture calibrations for the earlier engine?

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No thoughts?

Here is a picture of the truck it is going in
IMG_4784.JPG

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals