• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) 1998 2.5L oil dipstick length

vsinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Anybody here know the length of the oil dip stick on a 2.5l lima 4-cyl.? I lost mine about 3 states ago, and it appears that only universal replacements are available, so I need to know the length so I can buy the best replacement and trim to length. Thanks in advance!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Not sure of the length, but I have retro fitted dipsticks before and the method I use is to change the oil and then fill it with 1 quart less than it takes. Run the engine for a few minutes and then let it sit for around 30 minutes for the oil to drain back, and then pull the new dipstick a couple of times to find the level and then take a hacksaw and make a mark. That first mark will be the low mark. Then put the last quart in, let it drain in the pan, and then make that mark the full mark.

You probably can get a tape measure and measure from the bottom of the pan to the top of the tube and get a good estimate on the length you need.

vsinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I may have luck at a local scrapyard tomorrow AM. Otherwise, this and a universal replacement appear to be the way to go - THANKS!

vsinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ultimate resolution - Visited a local scrapyard today. Compared 2.3L to 2.5L oil dipsticks - yard didn't want to part with the 2.5L dipstick unless I bought entire engine. Turns out 2.3L dipstick is about 1 inch shorter than 2.5L overall. Full mark on 2.5 L corresponds to the left side of the letter Q, as in ADD 1 QT - Add 1 Qt. point is just above bottom of 2.3L dipstick. Charged me $10.00

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals