• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1996; 2.3; 4x4; leaking differential...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
About five days ago I noticed that I was starting to leave little oil puddles everywhere I was going, today I crawled under there and looked and sure enough drive shaft seal for the front differential is clearly leaking all over the place.

From the looks of it I just need to unbolt the drive shaft from the axle housing, then break loose whatever big nut it has and then the input shaft should slide out shouldn't it and then pry the seal out and put a new one in?

My only other question is what kind of oil does the front differential use?

Nez'sRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
This post is technically in the wrong thread, but if you go to the "Stock Specs" page, there is a link to a "fluids and capacities" page, which will have all the info you need. One of the moderators will move this post, I'm sure, and the guys can provide some more info on the teardown.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
80w90, 75w90, or 75w140 gear oil. There's lots of opinions on which is best but they all work fine. Factory service spec calls for 80w90, ford now fills everything with 75w140, and 75w90 is the synthetic replacement for 80w90. Pick any one. If someone tells you that you "MUST" use a specific one, they are drunk.

As for replacing the seal itself, it's a bit more complicated than just remove and re-install. The pinion yoke nut sets the bearing preload and the pinion gears depth which is what macthes the gear mesh pattern. The nut must be re-installed exactly how it came off. Meaning the exact thread depth and orientation. It's also torqued to death and often requires a puller to remove the yoke.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Once you take the drive shaft off and get the pinion nut off the yoke will be quite difficult to remove. You will need a puller of some sort.

The pinion will not come out, which is what I assume you are talking about when you say "the input shaft will slide out". The seal will pry out and go back on easily with the pinion in place though, so nothing to worry about there.

Before you start taking things apart though, grab the drive shaft and try wiggling it up/down and side to side, I have seen a few instances of the pinion bearing failing, and allowing the spud to move, making it look like the seal is bad, but just a new seal won't fix it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals