• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Street Ranger V8

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
Everyone keeps asking to post links to my '94 Ranger build and I have to keep sending them away from here. So I figured I should have a build pic thread here too.

So here's what I started with:

One tired, beat, extended cab 4.0L, 5 speed Ranger with a blown transmission. I only paid $100 for it and tripled my money back when I sold the motor. I bought it specifically to drop a 302 in and I knew that 4.0L trucks have 8.8 rears in them. And being the fact that I've owned about a dozen Fox Mustangs, I had parts from probably a dozen more. The body of the truck was pretty straight except for the broken mirror, grille surround, driver's fender, bumper and the sidemarker. "Replacement" is a word that does not exist in my vocabulary, but "upgrade" is. I liked the look of the newer trucks better and I originally wanted to create a "mini-me" version of my '02 F150 Harley Davidson Edition.

89PBR96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks bad a$$ man

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
My truck runs and moves already so I have MANY pics that still need to be posted, so keep tuned.....

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
Like I said, I bought this truck specifically to do a V8 swap in it. If I had to do it again, I probably would have picked a 92 or older truck or a 95 or newer truck. Why? 93 and 94 Rangers' engine and underhood chassis wiring harnesses are all intertwined into one harness. It's a HUGE pain in the ass to think about separating them (I tried). So the way I got around this issue was to use a chassis harness from an older truck (92). The older trucks have separate engine and chassis harnesses.

The Power Distribution Box is on the opposite fender but most everything else plugs in right where it should. I had to lengthen a few and repin a few others, but it was pretty simple.

Most people use the Fox 'vert mounts when mounting a Windsor V8 in a Ranger. Well, I tried that route and didn't like it. So, I did what Ford did and made plates to go from the 4.0L mounts to the 302.

Ranger97XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
have any more detailed picks of the front end swap? I'm looking to do this on my truck

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Looks good so far, are you planning EFI, or going with carb?? IMO, EFI all the way:icon_thumby:
SVT

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
It's carbed. I'll post some more pics later tonite.

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
More pics:

Engine set in truck

FEAD

Engine in running condition

Current pic of the engine.... notice something not hooked up yet there?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Looks to me the vacuum/PCV line is not hooked up...T5?? How did you hook up your clutch??
SVT

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
Looks to me the vacuum/PCV line is not hooked up...T5?? How did you hook up your clutch??
SVT
Well... yeah the PCV isn't hooked up yet, but I meant the nitrous solenoids. Yes, it's a five speed, T5. Used a Nissan 280ZX (or 240SX) slave cylinder and made an angle bracket. I also used a McLeod adapter fitting (this was before Russell made them) on the master cylinder to adapt it to an -AN fitting. I used a ~32" braided brake line for the clutch line.

Some interior pics:

2003 Mustang seats, cleaned and dyed factory rug, stock S10 shifter

My truck is now "Hurst Equipped"

I'll put some more pics up soon...

Last edited:

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
Well I have some more pics for us all to feast our eyes upon:
I had to install a frame notch in the rear of the truck so I can get this thing to attempt to hook up, not to forget an obvious improvement in ride quality.

315/35/17 Sumitomos. Cheap and they look good.

I used a DJM bolt in notch that I got from Brian at Illusive Design and Fabrication. The great thing about this notch is that the two pieces are mirror images of each other which aid greatly in the layout of the install. You swap the pieces side to side, layout a hole or 2, and then scribe the notch to cut out. I used the almighty Sawzall and an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel on it.

I did the install over the course of 2 evenings during the week, so this is a pic where the cutting and stuff is done and a few more holes need to be drilled and the brake hose bracket still needs to be modified.

Here the notch is completely installed. The driver's side fits perfectly, but the passenger side, some of the bolt holes are directly over the rivets for the upper shock mount. I was going to drill them out and through bolt them but, the frame dimples out where the rivets are. Instead there are existing holes in the frame I utilized and drilled new holes in the notch to through bolt it. Look at the second pic and you can see the dimples.

The notch is completely done. You can also see the flipped shackle hangers in this shot as well.

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
Some more random pics...

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Looks great man! what FEAD did you use?

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
Billet brackets originally designed for a Fox Mustang sort of. The alt. bracket from Summit and the power steering bracket is from UPR.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
looks really good! What size tires are on the back of that thing???

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals