• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ford ranger gas flooring problem

Mikeosaji

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone have any idea why in my Ford ranger 1994 6cyl, 4L when I floor the gas pedal my Rpms drop and there is barely any response in the truck? It’s perfectly fine until I floor it and then no response does anyone have an idea to fix this?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Maybe a dead spot in the throttle position sensor?

Mikeosaji

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
Yea man I thought it would be something around the throttle you think I’d just have to buy a new one?

Mikeyhys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Hello any chance your able to share the verdict with your problem and what you did to fix the problem. I’m in your shoes and would greatly appreciate your help> Thank you _ Mike H

Mikeosaji

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
Hello any chance your able to share the verdict with your problem and what you did to fix the problem. I’m in your shoes and would greatly appreciate your help> Thank you _ Mike H
I’m still having this problem but it stops when my trucks is running for a while and is warm and what I mean by that is when I’m on the freeway it won’t do that anymore this may not help but that’s all I know I’m still trying to fix the problem myself I am probably gonna get a new throttle body and I’ll let you know if it fixes the problem

Mikeyhys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Hello as this is my first qs on here and how cool. Thanks for the quick response. Names Mike Hayes 25 DIY CAR enthusiast! Lemme give you an understanding with my problem and diagnosis so i think. I reside in SB,Ca i own 94 Ranger XL 2.3L RWD 5spd (SOHC) Vin A. Miles 95,000 miles as far as i know, it was my fathers. Two weeks ago or so time for smog and failed due to LOW/HIGH RPM change at idle ill attach test results. 2500 rpm results pass. idle rpm@832 failed %Co2 meas-13.4 %o2 meas-2.0 HC (PPM) max 100 meas-232.

Where it begins pcv replaced & inspected/clean everything with it , egr solenoid replaced, Cleaned air intake housing and tube to throttle body. Inspected plugs wires exhaust manifold inspected by removing and inspected for cracks, New O2 sensor as which it was the original one, exhaust inspection flanges and all. manifold to cat bolts were slightly loose when removing so was sure to tighten to specs when putting back on. (One place to check) After all this i start it up let warm up of course, and of course the new problem occurs with slight gas acceleration in low gears hesitation screech even backfires. Even shut off once or twice. Bummin i tell you. I move over to throttle body first cleaned my iac, my egr vacuum bolt is rounded and not yet able to remove and inspect. Took a trip to the yard, throttle body, egr solenoid, TPS, throttle cable, vacuum hoses. Now to my belief where my problem for the pedal/hesitation misfire problem was occurring from #3 (Front view) Right Side under the intake manifold, the injector connector had a section through its tubing while rested up against the intake manifold melted through and shorted the wire or major resistance was the culprit. I was relieved and glad i took the time to inspect such area that’s over looked. Highly recommend taking a look mate! I also replaced my plugs AL (AP104) with Autolite Double platinum APP104. They run for about 5each and i have the double ignition coil system 2 per cylinder so yea but worth it. I have resolved my issue with that. MY truck now will not idle correctly. Took a jump wire and drained Capacitors, as should whenever throttle body is disconnected. Starts with no problem. When acc pedal push down to the floor (hold down) and go to start it doesn’t start which tells me my injectors and computer system is OK. I may have knocked the screw on the throttle body? Idk But it idle so high when try to adjust back to idle it sputs air now has become a problem. OBD1 is a pain plugged in my eec-iv (koeo) code 159 MaF sensor fault above or below normal.?? Any ideas, thoughts, mentions for me would be great. If i can help you more understand anything I’ve put out here, please do so. All in all if nothing here’s works for smog cat it’ll be. Mikeosaji if read i hope something of this helps you. -Mike H

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals