• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Bronco 2 XLT 4 by 4 will not go into gear

88_Bronco_II LOVER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I am new to this forum. I have a old Bronco 2 with a 2.9 liter V6 cologne the transmission is a a A4LD. I have tried to put it into gear nothing happens. I took it to the shop and they said that they cleaned out all the fluids to the transmission and put a new filter nothing happens when you put it into gear I don't know what to do. I need thoughts on what my next step should be. Should I get the transmission rebuilt? Or should I just get a brand new one fully rebuilt already?

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Many things to check before throwing $$$$ at it (what kind of "shop" did you take it to). The shifter cable might be broken/loose, the transfer case may be stuck in neutral, drive line missing. Check the obvious.

Brian Rhoades

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Don't all bronco II's have floor shifters. Though I agree that you need to look at it a lot harder before you throw money at it.

You state that it won't go in gear... Do you mean that the shifter won't move or that when in drive or reverse it won't engage?

Is your transfer case in neutral?

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
My 89' auto has a column shift for the tranny and a dash push button setup for the transfer case.....

Brian Rhoades

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Huh, I honestly thought they were all floor shifters. Must ba an 89-90 thing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals