• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 2.9 loading up with fuel

cckc135r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 liters of German fury
Transmission
Manual
I have a recently rebuilt 2.9 in my truck that runs great. It does still need a few things replaced such as tune up items that I'm slowly replacing. However, the problem I am having is loading up with fuel at operating temps or when the engine is cold. It does this at random times. I suspected a FPR and it was bad so it has been replaced but still continues to do this. When it loads up I get a very strong exhaust oder and a loss of power. After a short period it clears out and everything is normal.

I have added an aftermarket temp gauge and it runs at 190 with out fail. The fuel pressure is right on the money, the oil pressure is also monitored by an aftermarket gauge and runs at 45 PSI going down the road and at idle is about 20 or just below. I haven't tried pulling codes yet but I will that this weekend.

This problem doesn't really seem to have an effect on MPG as it gets 19.5 in a combination of city and highway driving. I should also give the specs on the truck. It's a 1988 2WD XLT w/ a 2.9 and 5 spd, PS w/ non working AC and Cruise. I have replaced the 7.5 diff w/ an 8.8 diff and 3.55 gear set. On the rebuild I have approx. 4000 miles and I think the trans is slowly giving out as it makes some noise and does not shift very smoothly. When it loads up it is usually at lower speeds normally city driving and not more than 3rd gear. I don't beat on the truck and the engine rarely sees above 3500 RPM.

This weekend is pulling codes and replacing a fuel filter and hopefully some input from the wealth of knowledge here. Thanks in advance for any insight.:icon_pepsi:

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
I have a recently rebuilt 2.9 in my truck that runs great. It does still need a few things replaced such as tune up items that I'm slowly replacing. However, the problem I am having is loading up with fuel at operating temps or when the engine is cold. It does this at random times. I suspected a FPR and it was bad so it has been replaced but still continues to do this. When it loads up I get a very strong exhaust oder and a loss of power. After a short period it clears out and everything is normal.

I have added an aftermarket temp gauge and it runs at 190 with out fail. The fuel pressure is right on the money, the oil pressure is also monitored by an aftermarket gauge and runs at 45 PSI going down the road and at idle is about 20 or just below. I haven't tried pulling codes yet but I will that this weekend.

This problem doesn't really seem to have an effect on MPG as it gets 19.5 in a combination of city and highway driving. I should also give the specs on the truck. It's a 1988 2WD XLT w/ a 2.9 and 5 spd, PS w/ non working AC and Cruise. I have replaced the 7.5 diff w/ an 8.8 diff and 3.55 gear set. On the rebuild I have approx. 4000 miles and I think the trans is slowly giving out as it makes some noise and does not shift very smoothly. When it loads up it is usually at lower speeds normally city driving and not more than 3rd gear. I don't beat on the truck and the engine rarely sees above 3500 RPM.

This weekend is pulling codes and replacing a fuel filter and hopefully some input from the wealth of knowledge here. Thanks in advance for any insight.:icon_pepsi:
@19.5 mpg you can't have too much going wrong.

could be many things...and getting codes is the step in the right direction:icon_thumby:

Are you're seeing black out the tailpipe???

you may have the coolant temp sensor (the 1 for the engine computer, not the one for the gauge cluster).

a leaking injector...

a vacuum leak

o2 sensor...bad gas. the list can go on & on

the maintenance of a new fuel filter is a good thing to do as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals