• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1988 2.3 Mass air flow sensor part number

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking for the part number for the MAF meter/sensor for a 2.3 that runs TFI as I cannot seem to locate it anywhere.

The closest I have found is an F23F-12B579-AA found on eBay, but following Ford part numbering that would make it for a 1992.

I'm not familiar with the single plug 2.3's, only the dual plugs so bear with me a bit please.

It appears they ran the TFI distributors all the way back to 1985. We have a EEC part number coded as an E8, so I'd like to locate the corresponding MAF meter/sensor part number.

The nephew picked up an 83 Ranger with a 2.0 and 4 speed that we are swapping in a 2.3 and 5 speed that the PO had laying around along with the EEC but no harness and missing a few sensors.

I plan on retaining EFI, TFI and the mass air in an effort to make this as reliable as possible for the kid. And yes, I know there will be some people that will say ditch the TFI and go with Duraspark. I've had good luck with both ignition systems.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jeremy

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
MAF was introduced mid year of '90 so that doesn't have one, instead they used speed density so it had a manifold air pressure (MAP) sensor, there's a few different options as one mounts into the cowl and another mounts on a bracket, both are the same sensor internally so doesn't matter, heck it's even the same as the barometric pressure sensor on the turbo 2.3L engines of the mid 80's...

The benefit of speed density for a fuel system is the only thing a vacuum leak does is cause a high idle, the fueling is still correct...

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
MAF was introduced mid year of '90 so that doesn't have one, instead they used speed density so it had a manifold air pressure (MAP) sensor, there's a few different options as one mounts into the cowl and another mounts on a bracket, both are the same sensor internally so doesn't matter, heck it's even the same as the barometric pressure sensor on the turbo 2.3L engines of the mid 80's...

The benefit of speed density for a fuel system is the only thing a vacuum leak does is cause a high idle, the fueling is still correct...
Would you happen to know a part number? Any chance of it being the same as what would be on an 86 2.9?

Jeremy

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yes, it's interchangeable with that, there were only two different ones, the one that mounts into the cowl and the one that mounts flush. I just looked on rock auto and don't see the one that goes into the cowl on there.

JHine5588

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 junk
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it's interchangeable with that, there were only two different ones, the one that mounts into the cowl and the one that mounts flush. I just looked on rock auto and don't see the one that goes into the cowl on there.
Thanks man. I looked on rockauto the other day too but couldn't find a concrete OE part number cross, of course I was looking for a MAF rather than a MAP. I appreciate you and your research!

Jeremy

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals