• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Ranger Project

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Damn. That looks so good, I'd be sorely tempted to mount that bed upside down on the truck, just to show it off.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, got the first coat on the underside completed today. Box side gusset rods in Herculiner to match (Like Ketchup, I put that shit on everything !😂) and bolts done up as well. Also installed my LED license plate lights, complete with weather proof plugs in case I have to remove them ever. Seems like I’m always doing that with every step so saving some possible future hair pulling. Then I added my rear diff vent filter breather. Fuel filters work great for that.

IMG_6878.jpeg
IMG_6877.jpeg
IMG_6873.jpeg
IMG_6874.jpeg
IMG_6875.jpeg
IMG_6879.jpeg

IMG_6880.jpeg

Last edited:

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Bed coating looks great and should preserve it for quite some time.

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Great read! I'm very impressed with your attention to detail. I'm also VERY jealous of the amount of space (and spouse support) for a fleet of rangers that large! :icon_rofl:

I'm currently working through my own project (1st time this big of a project) and am eternally grateful for the knowledgeable folks here & Youtube :)

Truly enjoying the pics and updates, thanks for sharing!

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Great read! I'm very impressed with your attention to detail. I'm also VERY jealous of the amount of space (and spouse support) for a fleet of rangers that large! :icon_rofl:

I'm currently working through my own project (1st time this big of a project) and am eternally grateful for the knowledgeable folks here & Youtube :)

Truly enjoying the pics and updates, thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the kind words man. I’m still learning about these Rangers myself. And yeah, the wife is a car girl herself so it makes it easy to bring home strays all the time. Before I got into these trucks I was focused on 50s and 60s rides. This is her 63 SS her and I built together, it’s her dream ride. Decent starting platform. Pretty much finished but I’m thinking of adding AC and EPAS for her. And to keep this Ford friendly, here’s my temporary bone yard. Once I’m done with building this Ranger, the BII, and probably the grey 91 I will be sending these on down the road to someone else if they need them.
IMG_5911.jpeg
IMG_8691.jpeg
IMG_2778.jpeg
IMG_9783.jpeg
IMG_8528.jpeg
IMG_6885.jpeg
IMG_6886.jpeg

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Chevy IIs are vastly under-appreciated, and that is a NICE one. Please tell me it's running a 327, and are those old-style Americam wheels?

I love how y'all finished it, and it's nice to see seat belts in it (the interior just looks "right", like the rest of the car).

Can I come live in your bone yard?

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Chevy IIs are vastly under-appreciated, and that is a NICE one. Please tell me it's running a 327, and are those old-style Americam wheels?

I love how y'all finished it, and it's nice to see seat belts in it (the interior just looks "right", like the rest of the car).

Can I come live in your bone yard?
Well, I have a 327 on the engine stand. 🤷🏻‍♂️ This is a 283 bored to 304. Runs awesome. Marks its territory with a tiny leak like all Chevys seem to do, but she sounds good with old school solids and true duals wrapped around a 9” Ford that I had to have narrowed.
You can come over to the boneyard anytime if in my neck of the woods. I’ll even provide the beer. 👍🏻
IMG_8458.jpeg
IMG_4693.jpeg

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A 283 is even better. I just have a soft spot for the old 327s.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
That is great you have a car girl for a wife, makes so much easier for a project needing a home. You did great on that 63. Doesnt really matter to me what it is. I am a Ford Fan but have a 72 Cutlass and would love to have a 69 Chevelle.

The 283 and 327 is getting harder to find. So much easier to work then what is out there now.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah her dad had Novas. Mine had Mustangs. My first car was a 66 Mustang coupe with a 289. Then I had an 88 Foxbody 5.0 back in 93. That car is still in the family as my dad now owns and drives it every year. It’s a great survivor car with paint from 94 still on it. I graduated in 2010 to a 67 fastback restomod that took 8.5 years to build. But I like em all too. And I mean all of em. If it’s an old car, I will find something cool about it to me. I restored a French made 1948 Citroen Traction Avant that my brother and I bought as a surprise for my dad. It was the first car his Daddy let him drive as a 12 year old kid back in Portugal. He always talked about it and as luck would have it I found one about 2 hrs from me a few years back. European gangster car!
IMG_9678.jpeg

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well. Disassembled the tailgate and pulled a few dents. This is the best rebuildable one I have. Had to wire wheel off some old rubberized rocker panel guard the PO applied. Got it covered in bog before I shut ‘er down tonight. Pulled a few dents on the box and sanded it down and got bog on that as well. Spent a bit of time scraping off the decals and clear rock guard patches. Probably block it all out tomorrow, but perhaps that’s Fridays workout as I’m taking the Xploder to the shop for an alignment, new tires and an AC recharge, so not sure how long I’ll be in town tomorrow. Also prepped the front valance and got it in epoxy primer. Then the Old Man showed up and asked me to change his battery terminals in his Foxbody. Didn’t take many pics today, apologies. But it was a great day in the shop for which I’m full of gratitude. 👍🏻
IMG_6914.jpeg
IMG_6915.jpeg
IMG_6916.jpeg
IMG_6913.jpeg
IMG_6912.jpeg
IMG_6910.jpeg

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Man, that's a sweet view you have there in the last pic 😆

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Man, that's a sweet view you have there in the last pic 😆
Here’s the opposite angle for you. 😜
IMG_6940.jpeg
IMG_6938.jpeg
IMG_6937.jpeg

As for progress on the Ranger, there has been some, but I forgot to take pics and really it’s just me re-working the front fender. I had to reshape the door edge as the patch I previously installed was off a bit to get a decent gap. I added some thin metal rod to part of the edge and some weld, the ground it down. Now it’s just a skim of filler and she seems to be sitting decent enough. OEM panel saved. Also got the tailgate blocked out and will block out the small dents in the box. Pulled the deep ones with the stud gun.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
All I got as an update with pics is the tailgate. Maybe more tomorrow. Blocked and primed. Hopefully I can block the box and the fender tomorrow and update.
IMG_6951.jpeg
IMG_6952.jpeg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals