• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Injector connector

dbuser2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1987 Ford Ranger 2.9L with 91k miles on it. It sat quite a bit this year because I was out of town a lot and didn't drive it. I removed the old gas and replaced the gas filter. I'm now going to put in injector kits. I can't get to where I can pull the connector off to see what kind of connector to get to use to cycle the injector when I blow air through it after cleaning. I see 2 or 3 kinds of connectors online that claim to be replacements. Does anyone have a good picture of one or know of where I can go online to see the correct one? I went to the fordinjector site mentioned here, but, that site is down for infringing on Ford.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Damn, http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/ was a really helpful site. I will have to make sure to copy the info in such sites for my own use in the future. I hope that they can put it back up, without the "infringing" material. I really don't remember any.
And I can't help you in your quest either, sorry.

Richard

Last edited:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Any EV-1 connector should work.

dbuser2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Well what I'm finding is connectors for the Ranger that have off centered slots with release and centered slots without release, ect. The only good view I get is looking from the wire side behind the connector. Just guessing but it appears to be without the release and just guessing it is a centered slot. The release may not make a difference but the slot may. Thanks for responding.

dbuser2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Couple of Questions on Injector Re-Assembly

I finally got the injector rack off and injectors separated. I thought I was going to have to get Clyde the Orangutan from the zoo to take all this stuff apart. It has been on since new. First question is has anyone had a problem taking the injector filters out. I'm using a 11/64th screw which is .1719 dia. I saw before the injector site went away that a #10 screw (.190dia) could be used. I just can't seem to pull that sucker out. Is there a special tool I can buy from somewhere that can do it or is it suppose to be that difficult? The other question is when re-assembly do I assemble the injectors onto the rack first or replace the injectors onto the intake and then mount the injector rack? All I have is a Haynes manual and it doesn't quite say so. Thanks for all your help! I'm taking pictures to document each of these steps so probably help the next guy.

dbuser2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
My Solution

I actually had to use a 15/64" drill to drill out the filters. Works good. On some of the injectors I was able to actually pop out the filters by moving the drill bit with a couple of quick up motions. I then used an uphostery hammer to tap the new ones in. They didn't just push in with the fingers. They do fit a little tight. I am documenting the whole ordeal with photos and plan to post them in the tech forum somewhere.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals