• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1979 Ford Ranger SuperCab

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Having had both 4wd & 2wd trucks- yes, most of the time, especially with proper tires & weight ballasting in the the winter a 2wd is pretty competent , there are those few times when a 4wd will save the day. That being said Id have no problem with a late ‘70’s full size, even a 2wd in my driveway. Odd that supercabs weren’t popular back in the day, now its the reg cabs that are the least likely to move quickly off the lot. I just thought they didnt make many back in the day. Was very rare to see a crew cab ford outside of a construction business or the railroad. Most seemed to be gm anyway, especially if owned by someone with horses.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ford made crew cabs (4–door cabs) at least as far back as 1967, but they were rare until the 1980s. As Racsan said, they were mainly on company-owned work trucks with higher GVWs. Dually Fords for the horsey set were also rare until the 1980s.

My grandfather had a 1975 F-100 or F-150 (forget which) club cab (2–door extended), and he found the extra space and seat useful, but his was one of the few of that vintage I saw. 1973–1979 had the same body, and the crew cab versions were more popular in the later years.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Because they’re the best looking truck ever made.
Most were. When our first 78 F150 showed up in the fall of 77, I didn't like it. Our dealership didn't do flashy, I considered a brown or gray 4 door, six cylinder Granada to be our flagship in the mid 70's, later replaced by a brown 4 door six cylinder Fairmont. The first 78 F150 was a brown, regular cab, short box XL with an argent grill, painted bumpers and dog dish hub caps, a 300 six and three on the tree. We sold a bunch of Bronco XL's(strippies) with creeper gear 4 speeds and 300's.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Most were. When our first 78 F150 showed up in the fall of 77, I didn't like it. Our dealership didn't do flashy, I considered a brown or gray 4 door, six cylinder Granada to be our flagship in the mid 70's, later replaced by a brown 4 door six cylinder Fairmont. The first 78 F150 was a brown, regular cab, short box XL with an argent grill, painted bumpers and dog dish hub caps, a 300 six and three on the tree. We sold a bunch of Bronco XL's(strippies) with creeper gear 4 speeds and 300's.
Id love to find a bull bronco with a 300 and a creeper 4. Everyone i see is a 302/auto. Every once in a while a 351.

Back about 15 years ago i almost bought an F150 just like you described. Actually maybe it was a 100, i dont remember. But it was damn near pristine sitting on a car lot. Think they wanted 6500 for it. They sold it before i came back. It was a 77 longbox but a 300, 3 on tree, no power steering or brakes, painted bumpers and shit brown. But i fell in love pretty quick lol

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My E300 Econoline was a 73 with a 300 six

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals