• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

05 Cobalt 2.2 issues....

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
This pile of shit....

I kept it around as a cheap, decent driving beater to fill in when all the other junk is broke.

Anyways...

It devloped an issue where if you got after it (as in, 3/4-full throttle) it would start missing and cutting out...fuel mileage dropped alot (from 32 to like 24-25) and it was about undriveable on anything but flat ground.

I pulled the codes and got an O2 code (downstream), 2 codes relating to the throttle body/actuator, knock sensor, and EVAP code.

The knock sensor code had been tripped before with no affect on driving. As has the O2 and the EVAP.

So i focused on the throttle. By this time the car was running so shitty it was undriveable. It could barely make 25-30mph and forget a hill.

Replaced the throttle body (electronic), no change. Found two broken wires running to the plug, fixed those, and it ran decent as long as you didnt floor it.

Nephew used it to drive to work whlle his envoy was screwed up. After 2 days he called me said it barely made it into the parking lot. I went and picked him up then a couple days later picked the car up and hauled it home.

Got it home and it was back to running somewhat ok...still boggy as hell though.

Pulled codes again...the code relating to the TB itself was gone...but the throttle actuator code was back. Did some research and found this meant the pedal assembly was bad.

Fast forward to yesterday....changed the pedal assembly (most simple but biggest pain in the nuts job ever). Now its back to barely making 30mph again.

Car starts and idles fine, fuel pressure is around 60 (spec is 57-65 from what i found online), i didnt have my scanner to rescan it though.

Plugs, coil pack, ignition module, etc are all pretty new.

Engine is a 2.2 ecotec, auto trans, 225k miles.

Sorry for the stupid long post....but does anyone have any ideas or experience with these turds? The cobalt forums are worthless unless your asking about turbos or suspension mods.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Throttle actuator codes point to the throttle motor not the pedal from my experience, since you changed the throttle body the amperage to the throttle motor isn't likely getting there. In my world on the GM engine computers I program the throttle actuator codes correspond with the desired throttle position and actual throttle position don't match, it'll add power to the throttle motor to get what it's going for only up to a point... I would look at the connector on the throttle, if any of the terminals are loose fit on the pins then the amps can't get to the motor...

GM likes 4 bar fuel systems which is 58psi so you're good there.

MAF systems are picky on vacuum leaks...

I'd probably do a compression test, some of this sounds like a low cylinder but I would have expected misfire codes... the downstream O2 code could point to this too...

What scanner do you have? Watch fuel trims, should be within 10% normally.

If it's ran with a misfire it could have taken out the catalytic converter, that can melt into a wad and plug things up... they run horrible this way and the fuel trims are usually all over the place.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Throttle actuator codes point to the throttle motor not the pedal from my experience, since you changed the throttle body the amperage to the throttle motor isn't likely getting there. In my world on the GM engine computers I program the throttle actuator codes correspond with the desired throttle position and actual throttle position don't match, it'll add power to the throttle motor to get what it's going for only up to a point... I would look at the connector on the throttle, if any of the terminals are loose fit on the pins then the amps can't get to the motor...

GM likes 4 bar fuel systems which is 58psi so you're good there.

MAF systems are picky on vacuum leaks...

I'd probably do a compression test, some of this sounds like a low cylinder but I would have expected misfire codes... the downstream O2 code could point to this too...

What scanner do you have? Watch fuel trims, should be within 10% normally.

If it's ran with a misfire it could have taken out the catalytic converter, that can melt into a wad and plug things up... they run horrible this way and the fuel trims are usually all over the place.
My scanner can read fuel trims. When i bought it it had a horrid missfire and probably ran god knows how long like that.

I dont think compression...it ran strong before this...and this kinda happened all at once just progressivly got worse.

Ill dig into it further now you gave me some avenues and ill respond back when i get the info

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Wouldn't have this problem with a lima..

🤠

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
@Blmpkn lol!

Electronic throttle engines take throttle issues very serious as it can go sideways, usually a very reliable system though... don't want to go full Toyota and go WOT for no good reason so they go to a limp mode easy

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Wouldn't have this problem with a lima..

🤠
No if it was a lima, in the 6000 miles i put on the car since ive had it ida done 4 timing belts :)

@Blmpkn lol!

Electronic throttle engines take throttle issues very serious as it can go sideways, usually a very reliable system though... don't want to go full Toyota and go WOT for no good reason so they go to a limp mode easy
I just still dont understand what was wrong with a friggin cable

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
No if it was a lima, in the 6000 miles i put on the car since ive had it ida done 4 timing belts :)

I just still dont understand what was wrong with a friggin cable
Politicians are what is wrong with a cable... when you control the throttle response you can control the air/fuel ratio 1% better on transient conditions, fleet fuel economy probably went up .2% I'd guess or something dumb... I understand it but it's still dumb...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Politicians are what is wrong with a cable... when you control the throttle response you can control the air/fuel ratio 1% better on transient conditions, fleet fuel economy probably went up .2% I'd guess or something dumb... I understand it but it's still dumb...
Figures

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don’t have any experience with drive by wire stuff.
Sounds like an issue either with one of the sensors related to the fuel, upstream o2 sensors, MAF, maybe a vacuum leak.
Or clogged cats.

Downstream o2 sensors would give you driving issues, but they would tell you your cat is messed up,

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals