• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) 05 2.3 Clutch issues

BeeRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I just picked up a new to me 05 ranger 2wd 5pd with 130k miles. I have started to noticed a rattle with a squeak when pressing in on the clutch only in neutral. Sounds like a loose muffler (although not as obnoxious) and a slight squeak too. Only happens in neutral and going into first. Well not long after I noticed that sound it acted like the clutch wasn't engaging.. engine dying while stopped in gear but clutch pushed in. It also was very hard to shift, like it would be if you weren't using a clutch. I parked it after this happened.

I opened the inspection cover on the transmission and didn't see any fluid coming from the slave cylinder. Also checked the master reservoir and it had fluid in it. I did drive it for a couple of minutes today and didn't notice the hard shifting or dying. Any ideas what the issue is? Thanks!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Sounds like a bad throwout bearing

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
muffler bearings

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
Sounds like you need to replace the throw out bearing assembly, it's a hydraulic unit that has been known to go bad from time to time. I've had to replace mine a couple times over the last 11 years, mostly because of my stupidity. You're going to have to pull the transmission etc., to do it, or have a shop do it. The last time I had a shop do it, it cost me $400, that was around 9 years ago. It'll probably cost you at least double that now. Welcome to the club.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
pilot bearing will do the same thing. it grabs the input shaft and keeps it spinning even when the clutch is depressed.

BeeRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Figured I'd post what was wrong in case anyone searches this later. At first I was just gonna replace the slave cylinder but the pressure plate seemed crusty with rust. Decided to pull it and I'm glad I did.

The pilot bearing was toast. Missing needle bearings and many were broke. Also the pressure plate was extremely rusty (not light surface rust). I did a carfax on it and no water damage. I wonder if someone overheated the clutch and that lead to the rust and the pilot bearing being rusty and toasted. I dunno. Also looked like it was the original clutch and the auto adjusters were pretty far out. The throw-out bearing was rusty and had wear groves in from the pressure plate. Seemed to spin ok with no crunchy-ness.

Anyway I went ahead and just replaced everything. I appreciate your guys help!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals