• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

04 fx4 ranger wipers and squirters come on with headlights

bnichols04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 04 fx4 ranger and when i turn on the headlights the wipers come on high speed and the squirters come on. is my headlight switch suspect?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Hmmm could be the multi function switch on the column or a GEM module gone crazy.

buzzworth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My '04 has had some wacky electrical probs since early June. My dealer tracked it to the "Smart module" which replaced the old Gem module of former years. They have ordered the part but I'm still waiting. There is a national backorder and are expected sometime this month.
My problem includes NO wipers or washers, NO interior light, NO keyless entry or doorlocks.
Be prepared for a costly repair....they are quoting me over $500 and the part itself is $222. But........if they do the repair there is a 12 month warranty. Otherwise there is no warranty if you buy it and replace it yourself.
They said they could get one from a yard but then it's just a 30 day warranty.
Kind of between a rock and a hard place.

Oh, and the other bad news is it seems this part is particular to the '04 FX4 with keyless entry. So, after 10 years, they no longer have to even have this part available.

I plan to get it fixed and look at selling this Ranger and replacing it with something else.

I contacted Ford about this and they have a CS agent keeping me informed but it is pretty depressing.

buzz

bnichols04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i thought it could be either the headlight or multifunction switch but i didn't think about the GEM. is there a tsb about this or is it just for the wipers comming on by themselfs?

inmate308

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
same problem!!

hi Iam also having same problems with my smart junction box or smart module in my 04 xlt. Seems like water leaks somehow and corrodes wires around Smart junction box. I only have the problems on wet days and clears up once things dry up. But also now my headlights never shutoff no matter what until i pull the fuse...and the DLM is now embedded into the smart junction box. Was just wondering Buzzworth or Bnichols if you got the problems fixed and if you replaced your passenger side fuse panel and junction box...thx hope you can help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals