• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

03 STX 4x4 suspension creaking sound ?

RichnMo

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Hello guy's and gal's, I've got a 2003 Ranger STX 4x4 that I'm getting ready to put a 3" torsion keys in the front and 2" add a leaf rear bu before I get started recently I've developed a creeking or kinda skreeching sound whenever the shocks or suspension depresses the slightest. I'm sure this isn't a isolated issue and thought I'd check with you all on this. Thanks Rich

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Usually your a arm bushings squeeking. My expeditions used to do it, squirt some used oil on any rubber pieces on the suspension up front

RichnMo

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you as I think I'll try some silicone spray I've got as it tends to last longer. But it seems like I'm getting a screeching out of the rear as well. At any rate I did check the lower ball joints are needing replaced so I may just put the uppers in as well and be done. Although my 97 explorer didn't need bjs till 140,000 and this ranger is 88,000 and lowers are definitely loose so I'll check the rest and do it all when I do the lift.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’m leaning towards ball joints or tie rod ends. I had a similar issue and it turned out one upper ball joint on one side was bad, one lower ball joint on the other was bad, and one of the tie rod ends.

If you can afford it, get ball joints and tie rod ends with grease fittings. The ability to grease them once or twice a year will help them last longer.

RichnMo

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Explorer
Transmission
Automatic
I’m leaning towards ball joints or tie rod ends. I had a similar issue and it turned out one upper ball joint on one side was bad, one lower ball joint on the other was bad, and one of the tie rod ends.

If you can afford it, get ball joints and tie rod ends with grease fittings. The ability to grease them once or twice a year will help them last longer.
Thank you for your input Sandman and I'm familiar with most noises but this ismore like the twisting of rubber or if the shaft on the shock or its pivot points are the squeek. I'll probably be looking at it again tomorrow . I also have a churp, chirp noise when rolling slow like a rusty ujoint as Ive had a slight viberation about 80 thats coming through the chassis. But thanks for all the tips guys and I'll post back with the news.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Thank you for your input Sandman and I'm familiar with most noises but this ismore like the twisting of rubber or if the shaft on the shock or its pivot points are the squeek. I'll probably be looking at it again tomorrow . I also have a churp, chirp noise when rolling slow like a rusty ujoint as Ive had a slight viberation about 80 thats coming through the chassis. But thanks for all the tips guys and I'll post back with the news.
I had that too. Turns out it was a wheel bearing going bad.

Since it’s a rubber squeaking sound, look at the bushings for the anti-sway bar as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals