• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

‘85 V6 carb adjustments

JoeDaddy21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
205/70r14
Hello all,

I recently purchased an ‘85 V6 manual, (Link to thread with pictures below), and don’t know a whole lot about carbs, besides their basic functioning. When I went and looked at it, it fired right up, but then died after about a minute, but after cranking again and revving he got it to run fine. If anyone has some tips and useful info on getting them to idle more consistently on startup (with pictures or diagrams please), it would be tremendously helpful.
Thanks

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
When I looked at the pictures in your other post, I was surprised to see how original and complete your 2.8's engine bay was.

Here is a link to a helpful TRS post that I saved, on adjusting your carb:
https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/2150-mixture-screws.168783/
A vacuum gauge is the way to go, and RonD absolutely knows his stuff.

On a truck so old and so original, the plastic vac lines will be really brittle and you may run into a broken line creating a vacuum leak. Here's a diagram for your truck in case you need it:
Vacuum Diagram ds.jpg

Finally, the original setup on the 2.8L was a "computer controlled carburetor" system. These systems are complicated, really didn't work well when new, and with age can be tough to make run right. Some parts are hard to find (and there's a lot of them!). I have an '84 2.8L, and at first I tried to keep the CCC system intact, but finally accepted reality, and converted mine to Duraspark. I hope that your truck responds well to a little TLC, but if it doesn't look hard at the Duraspark conversion (it's the best thing I ever did on my '84). There tons of info here on TRS, and it's easy to use the "search" function to find it.

Nice truck, and Good Luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals