• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone do Genealogy / Ancestry?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Also forgot. There is a distinct connection the Gen. Jimmy Doolittle on my mom's side. It's a far reach, though. But her maiden name is Doolittle and dad did find the linking branches in the tree.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Grandma (moms mom, also the Smith side) said that President Monroe was a relative (cousin I think) but I have not been able to substantiate that in my research

AJ

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I finally fired up my Ancestry thing to check.

The farthest back I go is born in 1565 in Otley England.

The earliest I show in the US was came over around 1643.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
why is it no one is related to any evil persons from the past ?
1) That would depend on your definition of evil or where you draw the line as to what is evil.
2) I'm sure that they are, but that kind of stuff tends to get buried. In recent history it is difficult to hide, but in old times the records weren't nearly as clear or accurite.

My paternal 3x great grandfather was recruited in Germany (possibly Denmarck - Andersen family name) by the south to fight in Civil war. (Is that almost evil person).
My paternal 3x great grandfather was Pennsylvania Deutsch** who fought for the north...
The musket he fought with hung over the mantel when my dad was young, but it was destroyed as not safe to use...​
The south in which civil war? If you are referring to the war of Northern Agression (U.S. Civil War), that would hardly be evil regardless of what revisionist history paints it as. No matter what you think of the people running the countries involved, the people on the ground were fighting to defend their homes and livelihoods. For the vast majoirty of them slavery was not an issue they were fighting for, unfair taxation and governance was. Cause of that war could spark a great debate with no clear winners, but don't paint all of the fighters with the same "evil" brush.

Sad about the musket. You just don't destroy something like that. If it is servicable, shoot it on occasion. If it isn't (sounds like thisa one wasn't) you put it in a place like it was and look at it.

Most of those who rush to send their DNA or their kids' DNA to those genealogy sites are women. As you and others here show, most men are suspicious of sending their DNA to any website.

Some people do brag about being related to notorious types. Supposedly I'm distantly related to Jesse James on my mother's side, and a few of the ne'er-do-wells who made up most of her relatives seemed to like to tell others about it. To me, that's like bragging about being related to Ted Bundy.
Are lawers considered evil? If so Nancy Grace is my mother's cousin. I've never met her so...

I think I remember one of those people in the hand written notes on my mother's being a murder suicide. IIRC she was more than a little crazy, killed her kids then herself. Pretty evil from one point of view. From another she was insane and couldn't get the proper help, so it's hard to call the actions evil. I'd have to start digging through those documents for the details and I really don't want to get into all of that.

I send a sample of my DNA and I'm not a woman, too hairy and homely. If access to my dna helps law enforcement identify a criminal I'm all for it.
I found King James Stewart of Scotland from 1500 in both my father's and mother's trees. In my father's line I foung King Louis XII of France and Catherine Medici from Italy and my daughter tells me they were "bad dudes". King Henry VIII of England is in my maternal grandmother's line with one of his mistresses. I have an ancestor who was George Washington's great great grandfather and I share an ancestor with Dick Cheney- he ain't Jeffrey Dahmer but my liberal kids think he's the devil. Ten ancestors were beheaded at the Tower of London- one had been queen of England for 9 days- 5 were burned at the stake and 5 were hanged, drawn, and quartered. I don't know what most of their offenses were, at least a couple were executed for religeous conflicts with the king.
Any criminal identification via my DNA would be so old that all parties would have died several decades ago at least. At this point I don't care about helping with cold cases that old when they can't even get active ones right.

Lady Jane Grey, that looks like a sad story. With the 9 day thing, I didn't figure it could be one of Henry VIII's wives, so I had to go look.

My dad did a lot of research on our family tree, both his side and my mom's. I don't have a good memory for all the details. But everything he learned is documented and filed away at mom's house. If I recall, most of my ancestors came to the US in the late 1800's or early 1900's. So, post slavery. We weren't slave owners. On my dad's side, mostly Polish and German. They came over and many worked in coal mines in northeastern PA. Mom's side came from England, Ireland, etc. Came over and farmed in upstate NY. Some owned a factory that made wooden tool handles. My dad visited the factory years ago. Someone had a place that sold bicycles/motorcycles/cars as all that technology was evolving. My great grandpa farmed and owned a portable saw mill that he would set up on people's farms to mill their lumber on-site.

My ex-wife is related to Lewis Powell, aka Lewis Paine, who attempted to murder secretary of state William Seward on the night of Lincoln's assassination. All part of the plot. She also has verified moonshiners, Cherokee Indians and confederate soldiers in her family. I've visited some interesting cemetaries on her behalf. After hearing family stories, I started researching and verifying what I could. And it all checked out.
Coal mines in NE PA? :icon_confused:

Your folks didn't have anything to do with Centralia did they? If anyone could personify evil I think the people that created hell on earth (intentionally or not) could qualify.

Again, it seems that confederate soldiers are being roped into the evil category. I really hate seeing this. Moonshiners and Cherokee could hardly be painted with that broad evil brush either. Sure there were bad examples of each, but the majority could hardly be classified as such. That's similar to saying ever white is decended from a slave owner, or every black from a slave. Neither are true, but so often heard or implied that it causes problems.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Coal mines in NE PA? :icon_confused:

Your folks didn't have anything to do with Centralia did they? If anyone could personify evil I think the people that created hell on earth (intentionally or not) could qualify.

Again, it seems that confederate soldiers are being roped into the evil category. I really hate seeing this. Moonshiners and Cherokee could hardly be painted with that broad evil brush either. Sure there were bad examples of each, but the majority could hardly be classified as such. That's similar to saying ever white is decended from a slave owner, or every black from a slave. Neither are true, but so often heard or implied that it causes problems.
Not Centralia. Over closer to Hazleton.

I wasn't trying to paint anyone as evil. This thread is about genealogy and I was just mentioning interesting bits of mine and my ex-wife's geneology.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
There was a TV show last year calle Genetic Detective about a woman who'd done genetic research for years. She started working with law enforcement and helped identify rapists in some cold cases by comparing DNA samples to known people, then tracing back to a common ancestor. The rapist obviously didn't submit a sample but she found people who shared some DNA with him, then locating known relatives who lived in the area of the crime. The cops would watch the suspects and get DNA samples from thing like discarded soda cans, cigarettes, etc.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have several binders of family history that my mom & my grandma (on my dad's side) did over the years. I should read it thoroughly sometime, this is the cliff notes-

Mom's side is from Norway (immigrated probably early 1900's & settled in eastern North Dakota) and England/Germany, settled in central Nebraska
Dad's side is from England/Germany/possibly Denmark. Western South Dakota/Western Nebraska

I followed a couple branches way back to 982 AD, mostly in England. There were some knights & lords & stuff. Supposedly Merriweather Lewis is in there somewhere. Guessing there were some very early colonial relatives. Town in Kansas is named after us. Supposedly during WWII there were distant cousins fighting each other in Europe. Wish I had more time to dig in.

I don't do the DNA stuff, my parents & my sister did though. My worry is that they will sell your data to health insurance companies and at some point they will use that against you - I guess I am screwed anyway because the rest of my family did it... my mom was mad at me for a while because she bought a DNA kit for me and I refused to do it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I'm curious but never pulled the trigger. The government already has my DNA, thanks to the military. So, the water has already spilled over that dam. Submitting a sample for family research and history wouldn't be a problem. I've just never been that curious.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
My ex-girlfriend likes to say she's Viking, and that her son is a Viking. She watched to many of those Viking programs. She isn't any more Viking than my dog Marley. I was just curious about where my family descended from. It doesn't change who I am.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My ex-girlfriend likes to say she's Viking, and that her son is a Viking. She watched to many of those Viking programs. She isn't any more Viking than my dog Marley. I was just curious about where my family descended from. It doesn't change who I am.
"Oh, you're part of the football team that always loses?"

🤡

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
Mom's side is from Norway (immigrated probably early 1900's & settled in eastern North Dakota) and England/Germany, settled in central Nebraska
Dad's side is from England/Germany/possibly Denmark. Western South Dakota/Western Nebraska
Your family probably knows my family. I have tons of family in those areas. I hear buseman is a common name in that part of america

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
My dad's family history is all from Ireland..they settled in Tennessee, and somehow ended up on multiple farms in the great smokey mountains thru time. I do remember some of his ancestors fought in the Civil War, taking it they were in Tennessee they most likely fought on the south end..not real sure about that. Other than farmers they also made shine and ran shine for years.

My mother's mother is all from Italy, she is from Northern Italy, and rumor has it she grew up around the mob while her family was connected to the them in Northern Italy. My mom's mother family settled in Vermont again farmers, etc.

My mom's dad is all from Germany, don't remember much from his side. I do know my grandfather landed at Normandie and survived . He also lived in Vermont.

I'm 1/2 Irish, 1/4 German, 1/4 Italian.

My parents meet in Southern California when my dad was at camp pendleton, his marine corp days. My sister was born in San clemente, and I was born in San Diego.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Your family probably knows my family. I have tons of family in those areas. I hear buseman is a common name in that part of america
Quite possible - I don't know any of that name but it's a small area and there are a lot of distant relatives. Fenner/Oakland/Burden/Nelson/Wilkins/Behrens/Miller, those were the most recent ones in the tree.

I do know my grandfather landed at Normandie and survived . He also lived in Vermont.
My grandpa, dad's side was in England during WWII, I don't remember the exact details but his unit got sent to the Battle of the Bulge and they kept him behind for some reason. Most or none of them made it back. Not something he talked about a lot but occasional little details dribbled out in the last few years of his life. Crazy to think that I wouldn't be here but for that little event.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Me, mostly Swedish calling on my probably non-existent Viking heritage to deal with a stuck on brake rotor...

Really it is amazing how much they accomplished beyond all the not very nice stuff.

It is also fun to read the legends and see where all the Marvel characters tie in.

Fun fact, Bluetooth like what is in your truck is named after Herold Bluetooth, a viking king who united a bunch of tribes.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I read somewhere that a large majority of earths population is related to Genghis Khan. Apparently he was quite the womanizer while conquering over half the known world.
Kind of the same thing, as the Doughboys in WW1 and the GIs in WW2 who found themselves as the first Americans to visit places all over the world.

this is the town.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals