• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mosin–Nagant 7.62x54R

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
im getting into the more rare for collecting em but i will shoot them

right now im on a Finnish Mosin fixation

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im getting into the more rare for collecting em but i will shoot them

right now im on a Finnish Mosin fixation
I am more into the western type stuff, if I spend much more I would rather have a lever action or put it towards a Vaquero.

Last edited:

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
yeah i await that stage myself

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got a call this morning that they got a shipment of 25+ the one that I had requested. I told them to pick me out a good one. I got up there and it was a brand new looking 1943 ex-sniper. Hardly has a ding on it and the action works perfect.

So I brought it home, and I grabbed 2 boxes of 20 bullets and a cleaning brush and a sock to keep the cosmoline from staining my back seat... grand total of $148.

It came with the tool kit, oil can, two double ammo pouches, a sling, and a bayonet.

I had them set one out for my brother, he got a '42 in the same shape but not a former sniper. When we were there they only had 3 of their shipment left.

Pictures to follow as soon as I can find my camera...

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
I got a call this morning that they got a shipment of 25+ the one that I had requested. I told them to pick me out a good one. I got up there and it was a brand new looking 1943 ex-sniper. Hardly has a ding on it and the action works perfect.

So I brought it home, and I grabbed 2 boxes of 20 bullets and a cleaning brush and a sock to keep the cosmoline from staining my back seat... grand total of $148.

It came with the tool kit, oil can, two double ammo pouches, a sling, and a bayonet.

I had them set one out for my brother, he got a '42 in the same shape but not a former sniper. When we were there they only had 3 of their shipment left.

Pictures to follow as soon as I can find my camera...
It being a former sniper rifle, I take it that it has the bent bolt?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It being a former sniper rifle, I take it that it has the bent bolt?
I wish it did, and for that matter I wish they hadn't welded the scope mounting holes shut too. After you see where they didn't quite get filled in on the inside you can see small heat spots on the outside. I tried getting a pic of them, but the glare off of the cosmoline was messing with my flash.

I read somewhere (probably in one of the links that mn_smokeater provided) that when they desnipered them they replaced the bent bolt with the standard straight one. All the numbers match up, so it wasn't just a causual exchange. It has the mark on the stock that it has been refinished, so the numbers were probably changed then. I know it doesn't add value to the gun, but it kind of a neat thing IMO.

Anyone know what the small brown pouch to the left is for?

The filled in holes on mine look like the "PU side rail mount - mid '40s"

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinFeatures08.htm

Last edited:

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
I wish it did, and for that matter I wish they hadn't welded the scope mounting holes shut too. After you see where they didn't quite get filled in on the inside you can see small heat spots on the outside. I tried getting a pic of them, but the glare off of the cosmoline was messing with my flash.

I read somewhere (probably in one of the links that mn_smokeater provided) that when they desnipered them they replaced the bent bolt with the standard straight one. All the numbers match up, so it wasn't just a causual exchange. It has the mark on the stock that it has been refinished, so the numbers were probably changed then. I know it doesn't add value to the gun, but it kind of a neat thing IMO.

Anyone know what the small brown pouch to the left is for?

The filled in holes on mine look like the "PU side rail mount - mid '40s"

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinFeatures08.htm
That sucks, but it's pretty cool too. Since it was a sniper rifle, it's probably taken a few german lives.

My guess is that it's the cleaning tools kit... And yes, they were issued with cleaning kits. Doesn't necessarily mean they were ever cleaned. :icon_confused:

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good deal man!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You guys probably already have this, but I found a free copy of the Ordinance Corp. manual on these things, pretty cool. From 1954, and I can't help but wonder how James Bondish some of the info is (like the pictures with a little ruler in them)

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/books-and-manuals/free-to-print-manuals/p/mosin-nagant-free-printable-manual-/cPath/58_340/products_id/1600

I printed it off (along with about anything else I have found online that is interesting) and am making a 3-ring binder on the gun. When I am all greasy I don't want to mess with my computer, and where I shoot/hunt I have not internet access so a book is better.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anybody tried a scout scope mount setup like this? I did pull the rear sight off (good thing too because the bottom of the sight and top of the barrel was still coated with cosmolene) and it does really look the a standard 3/8 dovetail scope base.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTWDJiJLlPg

If it does work worth a darn what is a good pistol scope? Nothing against the factory iron sights but it is hard to be very accurate when the front post covers up 3/4 of the critter you are aiming at./

Last edited:

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think a scout scope woudl be fine if you can find a mount for it. You might need to get it drilled and tapped. The bolt handle wouldn't clear a regular scope but I'm sur eyou already realized that.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a set of tall look under rings on it right now for mockup that I hadn't got around to sticking on my pellet gun, everything looks good clearancewise and feels good looking thru the rings on a quick pullup.

This is a set of 3/8 dovetail rimfire rings mounted on the dovetail that the rear sight was mounted on with two drive in pins. Everything looks good so far, my scope should be here towards the end of the week.

The only weakness of the whole deal is if the rimfire mounts can take it without coming loose, which I read the aftermarket scout mounts severly struggle with. So far I haven't found anybody that has complained about the rimfire rings with a solid base on a '40 and after rifle. I also like that it is completely reversable.

This is on a older gun, the later ones like mine can have a slight taper to the dovetail that individual rings don't like.

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/attachments/mosin-nagant/10813d1210311944-m44-2-5x-leupold-eer-m91.30-scope.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel_187

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Looks good what would be sweet is if it was an ex sniper model and had the holes already drilled in the side and you added a P/U scope, but if you did you would have to get the handle turned down. the handles are out there but there around 75-100 bucks. Don't know if you have seen it but go watch Emeny at the gates with your rifle in hand(love that movie) LOL

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks good what would be sweet is if it was an ex sniper model and had the holes already drilled in the side and you added a P/U scope, but if you did you would have to get the handle turned down. the handles are out there but there around 75-100 bucks. Don't know if you have seen it but go watch Emeny at the gates with your rifle in hand(love that movie) LOL
It is an ex-sniper (PU), but like most ex-snipers they welded the holes shut :bawling: which really proved nothing because I don't think it was even issued between being rearsonalled and me getting it.

I have heard mixed reviews about resnipering a retired gun, each scope mount was fitted to each gun. I have the serial # of the original scope stamped on my receiver but I think it is slightly more than a long shot to find the original scope.

I agree, Enemy at the Gates is a good if not very historically correct movie.

Last edited:

RotorFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
S&K makes a great no drill scout mount for the Mosin. I had one one of their mounts on my 1935 91/30 but I bought a scope with too long of an eye relief. I also didn't like the FOV or parallax with the pistol scope so I went with a bent bolt and drill/tap mount from rock solid industries. Great products, Nice guy, good service, shipping, etc. I put an old bushnell BDC scope, floated an ATI synthetic stock and shaved the Iron sights. I know i'm polishing a turd but I'm dinner plate accurate past 400yds with surplus ammo. My ten cent surplus rounds can keep up or even outshoot my friends $1.50/round 30-06. I've already recouped the cost of the upgrades to the rifle with the ammo savings. I LOVE the mosin.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals