• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Purolator oil filters?

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
Man what the heck?! I just bought an FL1A at Wally World for $9 a month ago. Now they're $13.

I see Rotella T4 10w-30 is up to $31 a gallon now too :annoyed:. Might as well go back to Castrol GTX for that price.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
At Walmart the Mobil 1 filters are only like $2 more than Motorcraft now. Naturally they were out of Mobil 1's a couple weeks ago when I needed one. It was the only Mobil 1 they were out of.

Super Tech is a perfectly fine filter.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
I see at with Napa gold filters or buy motorcraft in bulk.
I think napagolf is puralator anyway.
NAPA Gold is a Wix filter.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wix 51515 from rock auto is cheap.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
NAPA Gold is a Wix filter.

I think I was mixing up the napa gold filters and their house oil. Their house oil is made by Valvoline, which I always associate with Purolator filters.

When I use to use advanced auto parts they always had a deal on where you buy a 5qt of Valvoline and get a Purolator free.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I think I was mixing up the napa gold filters and their house oil. Their house oil is made by Valvoline, which I always associate with Purolator filters.

When I use to use advanced auto parts they always had a deal on where you buy a 5qt of Valvoline and get a Purolator free.

Does valvoline even really produce their own oil? Or do they just buy "virgin" oil and then add their own ingredients?

Oils kinda like batteries isn't it? Million and one different brands in the store that all say they're the best... but each and every one started life from a very small number of factories or refineries. I think all the batteries come from like one of 3 companies.. and I think oil is the same way.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

Napa oil is valvoline?

Thanks for saving me a few more bucks.

I used to run motorcraft oil untill it became hard to find 10w30 and impossible to find 10w40

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Does valvoline even really produce their own oil? Or do they just buy "virgin" oil and then add their own ingredients?

Oils kinda like batteries isn't it? Million and one different brands in the store that all say they're the best... but each and every one started life from a very small number of factories or refineries. I think all the batteries come from like one of 3 companies.. and I think oil is the same way.
Yes and no. Like gasoline, there are a handful of companies who supply the oil and maybe refine it. There are differences between them though. Probably in the additives and the quantity of each.

One of them has a reputation for sludging, I think Quaker State and it may only be their base dino oil product.

Most of the cheap synthetics tend to be super refined dino oil and the better brands, true synthetics that are made from natural gas and other products.

In any case, most come from a handful of suppliers. I believe most of it shares the same tankers and pipelines for transport. So, it does beg the question on if they are really different. Even the ones that supposedly come from Texas or Pennsylvania. Supposedly Quaker State and Pennzoil come from PA stock. But then there is the pipeline, tanker, and refinery thing.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Yes and no. Like gasoline, there are a handful of companies who supply the oil and maybe refine it. There are differences between them though. Probably in the additives and the quantity of each.

One of them has a reputation for sludging, I think Quaker State and it may only be their base dino oil product.

Most of the cheap synthetics tend to be super refined dino oil and the better brands, true synthetics that are made from natural gas and other products.

In any case, most come from a handful of suppliers. I believe most of it shares the same tankers and pipelines for transport. So, it does beg the question on if they are really different. Even the ones that supposedly come from Texas or Pennsylvania. Supposedly Quaker State and Pennzoil come from PA stock. But then there is the pipeline, tanker, and refinery thing.
Pennzoil was the sludgy one. Which probably quaker state too since they are/were the same.

Funny i ran pennzoil and fram filters in rusty #1 95% of its life. Never had an issue

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
Probably, they're a big enough company. Regardless where the base oils come from, every company has their own additive package which is where the differences come from.

Surf around www.BobIsTheOilGuy.com and you will learn much, young Padawan.
Tip: Do not start a new thread asking what is the best oil.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Valvoline makes Napa oil to Napa's specs, I've used it with no problems.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Not sure about pile, but can assume the process is similar to gasoline. All the gasoline for an area come from the same place, when the taker trucks pick it up for delivery, the additives are mixed in.

So the truck that delivers the Sunoco gas gets filled from the same place that the Getty truck is filled. Only they are not the same because the additives are different.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Pennzoil was the sludgy one. Which probably quaker state too since they are/were the same.

Funny i ran pennzoil and fram filters in rusty #1 95% of its life. Never had an issue
I've used both oils in the past and never had an issue but it wasn't something I used regularly. I've always been one to take advantage of the oil package sales. So whatever was on sale. Pennzoil and Quaker State typically weren't in the sales packages.

Same with fram filters until I found out how they were built. I also found out Honda filters were made by Fram and stopped using them, not that I used them regularly.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
The only way to know for sure is to get a Used Oil Analysis. It costs about the same as another oil change.

www,Blackstone-Labs.com

I got several on my old Sport Trac and got the best results with Pennzoil Platinum. I used that, changed every 5k, and the truck ran like new until 212k when it blew a head gasket. The timing chains were still fine and it didn't use any oil.

I've not gotten a UOA for the Ranger but I've mostly run Valvoline Synthetic based on what I read at BobIsTheOilGuy.com, apparently it has more moly in it so it runs quieter and is better with turbochargers and superchargers.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals