• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Storage in a Bii/Explorer

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a huge problem with my Explorer. I'm always hauling around sh!t. Some I need (recovery gear/spare parts), Some I don't (stereos/fishing poles you name it). I wanted to know if anyone else has this problem and what are some cheap easy solutions. I have a milk crate in the back but its overflowing with junk :bad:. I was wondering maybe some Tupperware plastic storage containers or something.

Any Ideas? :dunno:

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i also use a milkcrate but i keep in in the tool box in the back of my ranger. something you could try is one of those large rubbermade boxes that walmart sells. they usually have a red latch on them are made of thick plastic and you could then organize your stuff in tupperware like you said and just store it in the box. this would probably work as long as you dont frequently have cargo behind your rear seats. other wise you might want to think about a roof rack for say shovles and a hi lift if you carry that kind of stuff with you. hope this helps. :icon_thumby:

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a huge problem with my Explorer. I'm always hauling around sh!t. Some I need (recovery gear/spare parts), Some I don't (stereos/fishing poles you name it). I wanted to know if anyone else has this problem and what are some cheap easy solutions. I have a milk crate in the back but its overflowing with junk :bad:. I was wondering maybe some Tupperware plastic storage containers or something.

Any Ideas? :dunno:
Sounds harsh but the best solution is...get the stuff out...I should take my own advise:blush: For your recovery gear and spare parts I would use a big black (whatever color you want) tout bag. That way you can still put other stuff that you don’t carry around all the time on top of, like things you just picked up at the store or a cooler. As far as the stereo maybe you really should get that out.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would get cheap plastic totes for the stuff you need, and take out what you don't need when you don't need it.

I have a heavy Rubbermaid tool chest in the back of my F-150, you can get something similar for $40 if you want something that is really strong and lockable. It is just a heavy duty plastic box with a hinging lid.

Whatever you do, secure it well so if you get in a wreck you don't have to dodge it flying around inside your Explorer. I drilled two holes in mine and looped a cable thru it to a tie down in my bed so it roughly stays put.

The back seat in my F-150 acumulates a bunch of junk, every couple weeks I have to pitch the stuff that finds its way back there that doesn't need to be back there, almost makes me miss my std cab Ranger for a dd sometimes...

Last edited:

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I like the big box idea. Kinda like a foot locker. Lol the stereo is kinda valuable and its just sliding around and banging sh!t. I hate the feeling of stuff sliding back and forth when I slide around a corner or huge bumps :3gears:.

Looks like a trip to wally world is in order:stirthepot:

As for the rack idea I'm thinking about that too but I don't really need one. I dont haul that much stuff and think it will impede my offroading a little bit as we have a lot of low hanging trees in W.V.

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh and yeah I'll get u guys some before and after pix.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My truck

My truck, Full of SH!T

And just to make you curious people happy, the family shop/garage, and of coarse my truck :derisive:

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Organize

because cables and chains often get drug through mud/swamp, I keep them here

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow never planned on seeing a chainsaw in the back of a bii. I thought i was the only person that does that lol oil mix and everything ;) whats in the black duffel?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wow never planned on seeing a chainsaw in the back of a bii. I thought i was the only person that does that lol oil mix and everything ;) whats in the black duffel?
I pack fuel and chain oil, and my sharpening file. Trees beware.
Whats in the black duffle? 2 sets of clothes, 4 sets of socks, TP (for the ladies) , first aid, 3 lighters, binoculars, etcetcetc.

I recently rigger fencing staples into the floor so I can bungee strap everything down, I dont want to get anything in the back of the head when I'm going down steep hills. And having it bounce around on rough stuff just sucks.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've never solved storing stuff. No matter how organized I think I am I usually end up crawling through an upset mess of loose crap trying to find enough pieces of straps, chains and clevi to save myself. It seems like the more organized I am, the more of a cluster fawk the inside is after a tumble.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals