• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Batteries are so disappointing these days. It seems like we're going backwards in battery quality. And they want us to rely on them totally for our cars' propulsion.

Sheesh!
Funny. I bought a top-of-the-line battery this year. It failed after 2 months. I had to take it back

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Funny. I bought a top-of-the-line battery this year. It failed after 2 months. I had to take it back
More sad than funny.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, next step of The Missing Linc reveal: lights & electronics

light bar:

View attachment 90563View attachment 90564

First, notice the incredible Craftsmanship of the bar itself. I started with a beat up old truck bed toolbox lid, cut it to the right width, spliced the middle with another piece of toolbox lid, etc. The main uprights are two pieces of aluminum channel I got from the fencing that goes around an escalator in a department store. The angled uprights are a couple pieces from the eight pieces of 1 inch aluminum angle I got on craigslist. And of course Rust oleum.

The two chrome floodlights were harbor freight closeouts at $6.99 each. That amber beacon has been in the shed of miracles for decades. On the back of the lid, the five red lights are set up as running lights, but they have high low brightness. Three center flash three quick, three slow and then solid when I step on the brakes. The two outside red and ambers next to them flash with the turn signals and brakes.

The two mini floods on the bottom, and the clear three-quarter inch LED marker lights work off the reverse switch, but I also have a manual switch to turn them on if I want.

The traffic alert/annunciator bar is one of the rare things that I actually bought brand new, I think it was about $140 on eBay with the light-display controller. If you guys ever get a traffic alert bar, make sure you get it with the light display controller. Otherwise it’s a pain to figure out what pattern it’s flashing which can also be dangerous if you’re stuck in the road.

The cab lights are the triple LED in a smoke housing. I had chrome and amber, but it clashed with the flag logo too much.

I took the face off the ashtray, and used a little piece of scrap aluminum to make a bracket and attach the annunciator controller. That way it’s at my fingertips just above the shift Knob. I also added a dual USB outlet between the shifters below the dash so I didn’t have all those wires sticking out of the cigarette lighter hole.

View attachment 90565

inside up top:

View attachment 90566

I cut a chunk out of the box of the truck box to make the switch housing. I had to trim about an inch off the inside edge of both sunvisors, I got rid of the clips on the inside, and now they mount in a hole on the side of the housing, so you can’t swing them to the side. I used cardboard to contour the sides to the ceiling, and then I covered it with black felt.

The little black controller switch on the left shoots out 13 different 2-circuit flash patterns, $11. I have 6-LED amber strobe lights below each headlight, on the front and rear corner sides, and then I have four between the tailgate and the back bumper. Those 6-LEDs are not very bright, but they still really catch the eye.

The switches, left to right, are the amber beacon, a spare, the reverse lights and floods, and then the forward facing floods. Each has an LED above. For the reverse lights, the LED flashes so I don’t forget to turn them off. Everything except the forward facing floods are LEDs, so you don’t need a relay. They are 20 amp switches, so I shouldn’t need it for the floods either. I’m trying it that way with an extra fuse in the line. I’ll add a relay if I need to.

The CB radio is a vintage almost pristine Cobra 148 Nightwatch Sound Tracker. To this day, aficionados believe it’s one of the best you could ever buy. I wanted the vintage look. It’s a 40 channel single side band, and I believe the only modification is that it’s been peaked and tuned when I got it. I added an echo mic. The signal shoots out from 102” whip that I mounted on the left rear fender. Note the funky stainless barrel spring, I got a couple of those mounts who knows where years ago in a garage sale or such.

View attachment 90567

Can I post a small video here? I wanted to get a shot of the front and the back in the evening with all the lights on. Will that upload?

More to come…
I would love to add on some lights, but I do not know how to run the wiring into the fuse block. Can anyone help me with this fundamental and and rookie question?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
I forgot about that link to the xsprite site through the site link

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I would love to add on some lights, but I do not know how to run the wiring into the fuse block. Can anyone help me with this fundamental and and rookie question?
So, it is kinda possible to add a fuse in your fuse block if there is an empty, but it’s not exactly the simplest task. Usually the best way is to tap off the battery terminal and add a fuse in line and whatever wiring you need. If you want a bunch of circuits, the other way you can do it is with an aftermarket fuse block, they make universal fuse and relay boxes similar to what’s under the Ranger hood, you tap off the battery terminal for a power wire and then run all your circuits from the fuse and relay box. I’ve taken to utilizing weather proof connectors too. Split loom for wires and pretty much shoot for as near factory look as I can, do things the right way.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Went out and worked on the green Ranger a little. Gave dad a hand for a little bit too, mom’s Explorer needs front and rear axle seals. Ordered those, gear oil, and a sway bar link for dad’s Ranger and broke a brake caliper bracket bolt free that was giving dad trouble.

Back to the green Ranger, did some housekeeping and dropped the gas tank. Dropped the gas tank in the grey Ranger dad has yesterday. Going to see about repairing the tank and put it in the grey Ranger, but for now I’ll use the grey Ranger tank in mine. Got done and cleaned up just before we got hit with rain and high winds.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@Lefty - this is the easiest way to add a circuit: https://www.amazon.com/Add-Fuse-Same-Function-Bussmann/dp/B007FFG5YI

You can find these for either mini fuses or standard, and you just put that in the fusebox (either under the hood or inside the cab) and then run the power to whatever you are adding. If you put it in the right place, the cover fits back on with no issues and it almost looks stock.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
On my crazy projects, I don’t always do the prettiest work underneath the hood, always safe, but I don’t care what the stuff you can’t see looks like. So I hope this helps, and then it’s up to you how clean you want to do it.

On a lot of my projects, I’ve used those extend-a-fuse things that plug into a fuse slot and allow you to run another line off it. If you search your fuse block under the hood with a test light (10” of wire wrapped around a marker light bulb), some of the lines are hot all the time, and some of the lines are hot only when the ignition is on. Point being, if you’re running emergency lights, you may want them to work without the ignition being on. On the other hand, the flood lights and rotating beacon only work with the engine running, they eat so much juice they’ll kill the battery in 30 minutes (I have a quick disconnect key ring with an extra door key so I can lock the door with the engine running if I need to).

Now, having said that, a lot of the extra lights I play around with I don’t go to the fuse box. I tap them off existing light circuits: extra brake lights off the brake light circuit, extra floodlights out back off the reverse light circuit, extra marker lights off the parking light circuit, etc. Those circuits are usually pretty accessible by pulling out a front corner light or rear brake/tail light. One of the concerns with the newer trucks (I mean like after 92) is they started using smaller diameter wires with better corrosion proof connectors to save money. LED lights take very little juice, so you can splice them right into almost any light line that runs incandescent bulbs. But something like my halogen front facing floods, if you want them to go on with an existing light circuit, you’d probably have to run them through a relay. Explanation for another day…

I generally use the heat shrink crimp connectors. If I splice into an existing line, I cut it and strip it, and put both original ends into one side of the connector, and then the line I’m running from the other end of the connector, with an extra, smaller fuse in the new line. If there’s not enough extra length to do it this way, I simply use a 3 or 4” piece of wire as an extender on the original circuit, but I always keep the original circuit connected directly on one side of the connector. In addition to heat shrinking the connectors, I usually take a dab of silicone seal and rub it up & down the connector because the two lines don’t make a perfect heat shrink seal. I’m sure 2/3 of TRS will jump at this procedure, and insist the lines should be soldered with heat shrink covers. It’s the best way, but that can be pretty hard to do in some locations. Crimps work fine if you do them carefully. Always give them a tug after cramping. It’s worth it to buy a quality stripper/crimper tool, less than $15.

Of course the diesel already had two batteries. For The Missing Linc and for the Road Ranger, I added a second battery to both trucks. I use a deep cycle marine battery for the second battery. The second battery has to be grounded very well to whatever it sits in as well as the frame, and anchored well (no bungee cords). Both of mine are in the truck box behind the cab.

i connected the hot side of the batteries together from battery to battery with 10 gauge stranded wire, two strands twisted together (Craigslist). I twisted it by folding the wire in half at the right length (too long), clamping the loose ends into a vice, stretching it out straight, and use a screw hook in a drill to SLOWLY twist them together keeping tension on the length (practice with scrap). It ends up with a very nice twist you can handle like a single wire. My wire was the nylon coated stuff you pull through a conduit, oil and grease resistant. I also put a knife switch in that circuit at the second battery, mounted in something like a potato salad container so nothing can ground against it, and connect all my emergency lights to the spare battery side. That way, if I stop and don’t have the engine running, I could run all the emergency lights off the marine battery without draining my truck battery. Start the truck, close the knife switch, and it charges the second battery. I just ordered real battery disconnect switches I’ll mount through the side of the truck box so I can connect or disconnect the batteries without opening the toolbox. My batteries and marine batteries are $35 from the scrap yard, you just have to go often and keep your eyes open.

Doing the connections and mounting the lights isn’t too difficult, the hardest part of the job is running the wires under all the panels, under the truck, etc. etc. The biggest thing there is to make sure wherever the wires might rub, maybe in addition to wire loom, I use a piece of vacuum tube or such around the wire in any rub spot (split it, put it around the wire so the split is on the backside of the
rub point, and a few zip ties). No more than I use these things, that’ll last me a lifetime.

i’m also pretty brazen about just drilling holes through stuff if it’s not going to be seen in the finished product. Whenever I run a wire through a drill hole I use a little rubber grommet (you can buy a little box of a bunch of sizes on eBay for like $10) so the hole doesn’t cut the wire, I wrap some friction tape around the wire where it goes through the hole, or I use the vacuum tube trick or any combination thereof, and then still dab it on both sides with silicone to take the motion out of the wires/rub, especially if it’s something that goes from inside the outside.

Biggest thing there is knowing what’s behind whatever you’re drilling into so you don’t drill through into wires. A lot of times if I’m not sure, I will use a piece of copper tubing around my drill bit cut up to about a quarter inch from the tip, so once the drill punches through, it doesn’t drill into anything past that.

If one side or the other is hard to get to, you can go to your local dry cleaner and get an electrical snake. The dry cleaner calls it a wire coat hanger. Cut the hook off, straighten it out, and use needle nose or such to fold over one end in a very tight loop that fits through the hole (if necessary, make the hole bigger). Strip a half inch of the wire, fold it the loop, and then wrap it all with vinyl tape, just a little bit so it doesn’t come loose. Then, from one side or the other, you can usually push the coat hangers through to wherever you need to get to, and then grab it and pull the wire through behind it. Many many times, I make some custom bends in the coat hanger to get the thing to come out where I want it to come out. If it’s going past anything sensitive, make sure you take any sharp edges off the lead tip, or maybe fold that over crimped tight too so it’s a round end. If you do it right, the wires should just slide through easily. If you have to pull on the coat hanger with any amount of strength, the wire may be hanging up and being cut by whatever it’s rubbing against. Many times it’s as simple as a gentle just jerk in the wire hanger back-and-forth, or having someone help feed the wire from one side as you pull from the other side

Of course, do I have to say that you want to disconnect the battery anytime you’re doing this kind of stuff? I also test my circuits without simple test light or meter before I put any juice to them. I made up a couple of alligator clips on a 15 foot piece of 16ga lamp cord 30 years ago. I have a regular 12v marker light bulb that hooks into it so I can either check continuity or check if there’s power. About seven or eight years ago, I got smart enough to even put a fuse in the test line.

Adding the fuses is as simple as cutting the wire and crimping female bayonet connectors to each end, plug them into a blade fuse, and then wrap it with a piece of friction tape.

Sorry, I know I can go on forever. There’s a short YouTube video on just about everything I’m talking about here if you search for it, how to use crimp connectors, how to make a test circuit, how to tap in the fuse box, how to tap a line, etc.

Hope it helps!

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Here's some shots from last weekend... the shot of the back of the oil pan area is why I was procrastinating so dang long getting anywhere... the metal pan might not show everything but there's like 5lb of dirt and oil (along with 3 sock rags) I scraped off of stuff (and still got covered when I touched ANYTHING), then there's the shiny new Centerforce clutch, then a poser pic by my tiny pond after my test drive... Oh, and if you look closely you can see that a couple of the spot welds on the pinch weld in the trans tunnel have failed, I decided that's a project for another time :)

20230324_193704.jpg

20230325_082737.jpg

20230325_192540.jpg

20230326_144906.jpg

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Two afterthoughts, I apologize to all the guys who know this stuff for being so long-winded. I don’t mean to be a know it all, I’m just trying to provide enough detail for them that follow. And I’m honestly jealous of the guys who have the ability and patience to make it look like factory.

And, Lefty, I don’t know your skill level and I apologize if I’m too elementary. This isn’t rocket science, but it can seem like it if you’re just getting started. Before you start drilling holes in your truck and setting it on fire, you may want to get a piece of scrap metal, drill holes, mount switches and wire some scrap lights out of a junkyard and play around with this stuff on the workbench. When you do it, once or twice intentionally touch a hot and cold together so you understand how much juice you’re dealing with, and hence the importance of insulating everything, keeping it from rubbing, extra fuses…

Again, hope it helps

Last edited:

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Here's some shots from last weekend... the shot of the back of the oil pan area is why I was procrastinating so dang long getting anywhere... the metal pan might not show everything but there's like 5lb of dirt and oil (along with 3 sock rags) I scraped off of stuff (and still got covered when I touched ANYTHING), then there's the shiny new Centerforce clutch, then a poser pic by my tiny pond after my test drive... Oh, and if you look closely you can see that a couple of the spot welds on the pinch weld in the trans tunnel have failed, I decided that's a project for another time :)

View attachment 90621
View attachment 90622
View attachment 90623
View attachment 90624
How much lift do you have, what size wheels and what size tires? That’s exactly the Missing Linc’s body, and I want to add some Lincoln 15x7 turbine wheels and tires, but I don’t want to do the work if it’s going to rub. They’re also 5x5, so they’ll also sit out another inch with an adapter. I’m concerned about it rubbing when I turn. Probably will be something like 235/75/15s. Mine is a 2 1/2 inch lift.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On my crazy projects, I don’t always do the prettiest work underneath the hood, always safe, but I don’t care what the stuff you can’t see looks like. So I hope this helps, and then it’s up to you how clean you want to do it.

On a lot of my projects, I’ve used those extend-a-fuse things that plug into a fuse slot and allow you to run another line off it. If you search your fuse block under the hood with a test light (10” of wire wrapped around a marker light bulb), some of the lines are hot all the time, and some of the lines are hot only when the ignition is on. Point being, if you’re running emergency lights, you may want them to work without the ignition being on. On the other hand, the flood lights and rotating beacon only work with the engine running, they eat so much juice they’ll kill the battery in 30 minutes (I have a quick disconnect key ring with an extra door key so I can lock the door with the engine running if I need to).

Now, having said that, a lot of the extra lights I play around with I don’t go to the fuse box. I tap them off existing light circuits: extra brake lights off the brake light circuit, extra floodlights out back off the reverse light circuit, extra marker lights off the parking light circuit, etc. Those circuits are usually pretty accessible by pulling out a front corner light or rear brake/tail light. One of the concerns with the newer trucks (I mean like after 92) is they started using smaller diameter wires with better corrosion proof connectors to save money. LED lights take very little juice, so you can splice them right into almost any light line that runs incandescent bulbs. But something like my halogen front facing floods, if you want them to go on with an existing light circuit, you’d probably have to run them through a relay. Explanation for another day…

I generally use the heat shrink crimp connectors. If I splice into an existing line, I cut it and strip it, and put both original ends into one side of the connector, and then the line I’m running from the other end of the connector, with an extra, smaller fuse in the new line. If there’s not enough extra length to do it this way, I simply use a 3 or 4” piece of wire as an extender on the original circuit, but I always keep the original circuit connected directly on one side of the connector. In addition to heat shrinking the connectors, I usually take a dab of silicone seal and rub it up & down the connector because the two lines don’t make a perfect heat shrink seal. I’m sure 2/3 of TRS will jump at this procedure, and insist the lines should be soldered with heat shrink covers. It’s the best way, but that can be pretty hard to do in some locations. Crimps work fine if you do them carefully. Always give them a tug after cramping. It’s worth it to buy a quality stripper/crimper tool, less than $15.

Of course the diesel already had two batteries. For The Missing Linc and for the Road Ranger, I added a second battery to both trucks. I use a deep cycle marine battery for the second battery. The second battery has to be grounded very well to whatever it sits in as well as the frame, and anchored well (no bungee cords). Both of mine are in the truck box behind the cab.

i connected the hot side of the batteries together from battery to battery with 10 gauge stranded wire, two strands twisted together (Craigslist). I twisted it by folding the wire in half at the right length (too long), clamping the loose ends into a vice, stretching it out straight, and use a screw hook in a drill to SLOWLY twist them together keeping tension on the length (practice with scrap). It ends up with a very nice twist you can handle like a single wire. My wire was the nylon coated stuff you pull through a conduit, oil and grease resistant. I also put a knife switch in that circuit at the second battery, mounted in something like a potato salad container so nothing can ground against it, and connect all my emergency lights to the spare battery side. That way, if I stop and don’t have the engine running, I could run all the emergency lights off the marine battery without draining my truck battery. Start the truck, close the knife switch, and it charges the second battery. I just ordered real battery disconnect switches I’ll mount through the side of the truck box so I can connect or disconnect the batteries without opening the toolbox. My batteries and marine batteries are $35 from the scrap yard, you just have to go off and keep your eyes open.

Doing the connections and mounting the lights isn’t too difficult, the hardest part of the job is running the wires under all the panels, under the truck, etc. etc. The biggest thing there is to make sure wherever the wires might rub, maybe in addition to wire loom, I use a piece A vacuum tube or such around the wire in any rub spot (split it, put it around the wire so the split is on the backside of the Rob
rub point, and a few zip ties). No more than I use these things, that’ll last me a lifetime.

i’m also pretty brazen about just drilling holes through stuff if it’s not going to be seen in the finished product. Whenever I run a wire through a drill hole I use a little rubber grommet (you can buy a little box of a bunch of sizes on eBay for like $10) so the hole doesn’t cut the wire, I wrap some friction tape around the wire where it goes through the hole, or I use the vacuum tube trick or any combination thereof, and then still dab it on both sides with silicone to take the motion out of the wires/rub, especially if it’s something that goes from inside the outside.

Biggest thing there is knowing what’s behind whatever you’re drilling into so you don’t drill through into wires. A lot of times if I’m not sure, I will use a piece of copper tubing around my drill bit cut up to about a quarter inch from the tip, so once the drill punches through, it doesn’t drill into anything past that.

If one side or the other is hard to get to, you can go to your local dry cleaner and get an electrical snake. The dry cleaner calls it a wire coat hanger. Cut the hook off, straighten it out, and use needle nose or such to fold over one end in a very tight loop that fits through the hole (if necessary, make the hole bigger). Strip a half inch of the wire, fold it the loop, and then wrap it all with vinyl tape, just a little bit so it doesn’t come loose. Then, from one side or the other, you can usually push the coat hangers through to wherever you need to get to, and then grab it and pull the wire through behind it. Many many times, I make some custom bends in the coat hanger to get the thing to come out where I want it to come out. If it’s going past anything sensitive, make sure you take any sharp edges off the lead tip, or maybe fold that over crimped tight too so it’s a round end. If you do it right, the wires should just slide through easily. If you have to pull on the coat hanger with any amount of strength, the wire may be hanging up and being cut by whatever it’s rubbing against. Many times it’s as simple as a gentle just jerk in the wire hanger back-and-forth, or having someone help feed the wire from one side as you pull from the other side

Of course, do I have to say that you want to disconnect the battery anytime you’re doing this kind of stuff? I also test my circuits without simple test light or meter before I put any juice to them. I made up a couple of alligator clips on a 15 foot piece of 16ga lamp cord 30 years ago. I have a regular 12v marker light bulb that hooks into it so I can either check continuity or check if there’s power. About seven or eight years ago, I got smart enough to even put a fuse in the test line.

Adding the fuses is as simple as cutting the wire and crimping female bayonet connectors to each end, plug them into a blade fuse, and then wrap it with a piece of friction tape.

Sorry, I know I can go on forever. There’s a short YouTube video on just about everything I’m talking about here if you search for it, how to use crimp connectors, how to make a test circuit, how to tap in the fuse box, how to tap a line, etc.

Hope it helps!
Very well written!
Only thing I see is where you mention some people solder wires. My research leads me to believe that's a big NO for automotive use. Like you, I use crimps and heat shrink. I use uninsulated crimps and adhesive lined heat shrink with 3-1 shrink ratio, preferably 4-1 if I can find it. There are two types of uninsulated crimps that i know of; the type that is tube with a joint, and the type that is a tube and the joint soldered shut so you dont see the joint. Get the type that is soldered shut and then you don't worry about the orientation of the split while crimping. They are more expensive but well worth it knowing that the crimp will never loosen.
Using the uninsulate crimp and adhesive lined heat shrink is half the size of the regular crimps, and you can see quality the squished crimp!
Always pull test the finished connector.
The tool I use is the Channellock #909.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Two afterthoughts, I apologize to all the guys who know this stuff for being so long-winded. I don’t mean to be a know it all, I’m just trying to provide enough detail for them that follow. And I’m honestly jealous of the guys who have the ability and patience to make it look like factory.

And, Lefty, I don’t know your skill level and I apologize if I’m too elementary. This isn’t rocket science, but it can seem like it if you’re just getting started. Before you start drilling holes in your truck and setting it on fire, you may want to get a piece of scrap metal, drill holes, mount switches and wire some scrap lights out of a junkyard and play around with this stuff on the workbench. When you do it, once or twice intentionally touch a hot and cold together so you understand how much juice you’re dealing with, and hence the importance of insulating everything, keeping it from rubbing, extra fuses…

Again, hope it helps
You've been very helpful, thanks. You gave me an idea.

I started out repairing and replacing body and fender parts as well as a few items like a radio. It seems as though today's car parts often snap or twist together, that manufacturers avoid screws, nuts, and bolts whenever possible. In other words, everything is a special trick. So I learned how to fix things either by watching a You Tube or by going down to the Upull yard first and practising and figuring things out.

Granted those Rangers don't have batteries, but maybe I can do something similar for electrical additions and repairs, using a continuity tester first on mine, then going to the boneyard and figured out how/where to hack away.

Electrics will become highly relevant this spring. I will be swapping out those old 60/40 seats with a set of nice leather buckets that came with electrictronic seat controls.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals