• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Price Gouging?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I like our small town Carquest. I'll look online at Advanced parts, find what I need, call the parts store and give them the part number. They usually will sell it cheaper than the online price. They are unpopular with the parts stores in the small city 10 minutes away as people will drive over here to get parts because they are cheaper. If only they were open Saturday afternoon.

i hear that...

these places will soon be extinct.....so enjoy it.
small price to pay for that kind of service.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Generally on gaskets nobody in my little town will touch O'Reilly's either for price or inventory.

But you have to deal with O'Reilly's "help"

For your price difference on your two I would ask for the part number and do a little digging to make sure they are not pricing an overhaul gasket set...

They are cheaper but you make up for it in headaches. They did save my bacon today though, our normal parts truck had too much snow somewhere so I didn't get a cat converter gasket for a Cherokee. For reasons unknown O'Reilly's had one. I bypassed all the gibberish with them wanting to know what trim level and color it is and just gave them the OE part number though.

It was amusing for awhile, call to price a front half shaft for a truck or a Charger.
8 times out of 10: "is that RWD or 4wd/AWD?":buttkick:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Actually my post was looking at one specific rebuild gasket set and 3 very different part stores.

Suddenly two stores were out of the sets and the other had plenty, @ $100.00 over what the others charged for theirs, when they were still allowed to have them

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
After several days of consideration and newscasts, Argentina is currently passing 100% inflation, I'm wondering if we here in USA are really far from that. Between Europe, Britain, France, Germany, Argentina has been astride for decades, hek, they took on Britain in the 80's I think, or was it 90's. Was that the Spratley Islands they had the dispute over?

I'm wishing now I could change this title to "Price Gouging? or Hyper Inflation?", because now it sure seems to fit :/

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dealing with parts daily I think they have recently kinda plateaued if not come down a little.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Dealing with parts daily I think they have recently kinda plateaued if not come down a little.
A little? But...they went up a LOT! There are more items that's doubled in the last year or so than anything in my life, then they knock 2% off and call it a sale :/

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I think alot of the issue as far as parts go for these older trucks is that demand just isnt that big. So we end up with parts that have either sat on a shelf for 20 years or are produced in such small amounts because the profit margins arnt there for the producers.

So they make a few and charge massive prices to keep their profit margins in the same percentage realm as stuff that sells.

Like, i doubt it costs any more to make a set of brake drums for a 93 ranger as it does for a 2010 escape.

Difference is the escape will sell 10 to the rangers 1, because theres less of them out there, and they are driven less.

As far as engine parts and things that consitute major repairs, its only going to get worse, because if a 93 ranger blows a head gasket or chews up a main its going to the junkyard, generally.

This dont apply to enthuisast groups like us obviously, but it does in general.

Unless Rangers reach collector status its unlikely we'll ever see better prices or availabilty.

its literally eaiser for me to get parts for my 77 F250 then it is my 87 Ranger. Why? 77 F250s get fixed/restored, 87 Rangers generally dont.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Spot-on. "Inflation" tries to measure the way every dollar becomes generally less valuable over time. Separately, we can talk about reasons the price of whatever "thing" might rise specifically. If that thing is important to entire industries (say, steel), its price increase becomes part of inflation, and we say the underlying reasons (worker shortages in the steel mill, shipping costs) are also reasons for inflation.

30-year-old niche truck parts don't underpin entire industries. At the manufacturer level, those prices are economies of scale (or lack thereof) all day.

At the retail level, for parts already on the shelf, something gets marked up because whoever sets the price thinks they can get more money for it. If they're right, people with money burning a hole in their pockets will support the higher price. If they're wrong, and need to move the product, they'll mark it back down.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
If they're right, people with money burning a hole in their pockets will support the higher price.
What sucks, though, is when you actually "need" the said parts, and not just "want" them.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What sucks, though, is when you actually "need" the said parts, and not just "want" them.
Applies to everything, unfortunately. Take gas prices last Summer:

People with money didn't stop taking summer vacation just because gas was $4+. They could afford it, demand stayed up, price stayed up, and people who had to buy the same gas to commute for work had a real bad time.

Wasn't until $5-6 did start to matter to wealthier people, and/or "vacation season" ended, that demand finally fell off.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

They chart inflation as it was figured decades ago as a lot more was used to figure it, like food and energy.
I got the following when I clicked the link;

/big/dom/xshadowstats/www/Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've noticed a lot of our supplies are simply stopping legacy support for older platforms. I work with industrial machinery, the tech advances every few years and there are new platforms. Normally a company will support an electrical component for 5 years after they discontinue it. Now, most company's are not building any parts that are not considered the latest version.

They couldn't keep up with the demand for new parts and support the older systems so they just stopped supporting the older systems, and they can still can't keep up with the demand for the new components.

Oh, your PC failed on your 5 year old machine? Sorry, we stopped making those, you'll have to completely convert to this newer system and there is a one year wait for the parts to convert to the newer platform.

I'm sure it's the same story over in the automotive world. Parts manufactures are trying to keep pace with the demand for parts to build new cars, forget about getting replacement parts for new cars let alone 30 year old stuff.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Supply and demand is all they have to quote apparently... my usual deodorant Mennen Musk, just took a screen shot. FU if you think I'm paying $90.00 for a stick of deodorant. Before Corona it was $3.00.

Screenshot 2023-03-16 124847.png

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals