• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger’s frame width

MyWifesHotPocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Aerostar
Transmission
Automatic
I’m spit balling an idea here and it involves an Aerostar and a D35 TTB setup. I want to know what the frame width is on a ranger as well as the coil bucket dimensions. I doubt it’ll line up perfectly as I know it’s not a bolt in deal, but it would give me an idea as to how much work would be involved.
thanks!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Doing a google search, the track width of the aerostar is 61.5 inches front, 60 inches rear. According to this link the ranger is a little bit narrower, but grew as you go to the later models.

arse_sidewards

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
300ci
Transmission
Automatic
Not to be too much of a naysayer but this probably isn't gonna work out and if it does it probably won't come out nice without a TON of fab work thrown at the chassis to make the TTB fit into it.

Track widths are comparable enough to probably work. You're gonna have other problems though.

The Aerostar "frame" width is much wider (I can measure later if I remember) and will conflict with where the coil buckets want to be so you need to move them out or go coilover.

If you intend to build an off road Aerostar you are going to be stuck either running tiny stock-ish sized tires or having stupid amounts of lift because there is close to no space between the front tire and the driver's left foot so you'd need to modify the firewall if you wanted to be able to cycle, let alone turn, a 29" (i.e. stock size for Ranger) tire. The wider frame is also somewhat of an annoyance for the radius arms because it moves them outboard which also has the effect of limiting steering even if you do cut up the firewall. If you do choose the "stupid amounts of lift" route you'll have to address the rear because the rear because all the control arms are really short because this was only ever intended to be a street car. Making longer lower links and new mounts is a simple fab project. The upper will be a packaging nightmare because there's a gas tank in the space you would want to move it to.

I briefly considered doing a similar swap and concluded that it would be a massive PITA no matter how I did it and that tracking down a 4WD Aerostar donor for all the front end stuff would be the least crappy solution. The second least crappy solution would be getting a 4wd Explorer/Ranger torsion bar front subframe and arms and just cutting, modifying and welding until it fit well enough. I think that solution would be overall cleaner than trying to fit a TTB into a chassis that really, really wasn't designed for it.

I wound up concluding that all things considered if I wanted to build something fun that dumping in a hot 302 and laying rubber everywhere would be the all around better option.

If you want a big floppy off road box buy a Cherokee. If you want a small floppy off road box buy a BII.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

MyWifesHotPocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Aerostar
Transmission
Automatic
Not to be too much of a naysayer but this probably isn't gonna work out and if it does it probably won't come out nice without a TON of fab work thrown at the chassis to make the TTB fit into it.

Track widths are comparable enough to probably work. You're gonna have other problems though.

The Aerostar "frame" width is much wider (I can measure later if I remember) and will conflict with where the coil buckets want to be so you need to move them out or go coilover.

If you intend to build an off road Aerostar you are going to be stuck either running tiny stock-ish sized tires or having stupid amounts of lift because there is close to no space between the front tire and the driver's left foot so you'd need to modify the firewall if you wanted to be able to cycle, let alone turn, a 29" (i.e. stock size for Ranger) tire. The wider frame is also somewhat of an annoyance for the radius arms because it moves them outboard which also has the effect of limiting steering even if you do cut up the firewall. If you do choose the "stupid amounts of lift" route you'll have to address the rear because the rear because all the control arms are really short because this was only ever intended to be a street car. Making longer lower links and new mounts is a simple fab project. The upper will be a packaging nightmare because there's a gas tank in the space you would want to move it to.

I briefly considered doing a similar swap and concluded that it would be a massive PITA no matter how I did it and that tracking down a 4WD Aerostar donor for all the front end stuff would be the least crappy solution. The second least crappy solution would be getting a 4wd Explorer/Ranger torsion bar front subframe and arms and just cutting, modifying and welding until it fit well enough. I think that solution would be overall cleaner than trying to fit a TTB into a chassis that really, really wasn't designed for it.

I wound up concluding that all things considered if I wanted to build something fun that dumping in a hot 302 and laying rubber everywhere would be the all around better option.

If you want a big floppy off road box buy a Cherokee. If you want a small floppy off road box buy a BII.
the aero I have is an e4wd version and I have lifted it 3 inches sometime ago, it has 235/75r15s on and doesn’t rub. I actually have a Cherokee as well haha, it’s good, it’s a very good platform. But it is too small for when I need to haul stuff and the price of a decent e/f150 that isn’t rusted out in my area is too damn high than what they’re worth. But you are right, mounting a ttb with the way the subframe is designed on that van would be a massive headache. I’m guessing a Dana 30 would be a better option.

maybe a Dana 35 sla would be sufficient for now. I’m swapping the transfer case so I’ll have to get different prop shafts anyhow.

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Whatever you do you should post up some pics and maybe a build thread. There is a section for non ford truck builds, and a lot of people that are interested in mechanical explanation.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Curious. Didn't Ford make an all-wheel drive Aerostar? I only ask because GM made AWD Safaris and Astro Vans.

MyWifesHotPocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Aerostar
Transmission
Automatic
Whatever you do you should post up some pics and maybe a build thread. There is a section for non ford truck builds, and a lot of people that are interested in mechanical explanation.
thanks, I’ll check that section out. Nothing is really set in stone with this yet. What arse_sidewards suggested with swapping a 302 in seems more fun to be honest, It’s not like I go rock crawling or mudding everyday.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Curious. Didn't Ford make an all-wheel drive Aerostar? I only ask because GM made AWD Safaris and Astro Vans.
Fully optioned XLT , allegedly

MyWifesHotPocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Aerostar
Transmission
Automatic
they did, it’s called e4wd. It’s okay, I guess. It has the Dana 28-2 (SLA) in the front and uses cv axles. The transfer case has a high percentage of magnesium and is very prone to cracking. There’s no option to turn it on without wiring a button in or making the rear wheels spin.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
RuleBreaker built an offroad Aerostar, you might want to check out his build thread:

MyWifesHotPocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Aerostar
Transmission
Automatic
RuleBreaker built an offroad Aerostar, you might want to check out his build thread:

it’s a shame that the photos have expired in that thread. I’ve been reading up on that one for a while though, thankfully it seems he has left enough information to type up a mock write up. I wish I could get in contact with the guy, Im guessing his inbox is chock full of others asking about that van. Thank you!

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
it’s a shame that the photos have expired in that thread. I’ve been reading up on that one for a while though, thankfully it seems he has left enough information to type up a mock write up. I wish I could get in contact with the guy, Im guessing his inbox is chock full of others asking about that van. Thank you!
I think I still have his phone number… I’ll see if I can get him to check in here.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> The transfer case has a high percentage of magnesium and is very prone to cracking.

I did not know that, my 1995 EAWD (e=extended not electric) made it to 180,000+ miles with no problems, including off road and through the fields. I worked at a MASS Ford dealer and never saw a broken transfer case. Though there were one or two people that needed the Dana 28 replaced because they never changed the fluid (or checked it).

Running 235s is impressive, I have bought these tires for my F-150 I am restoring, though I use to buy the 235s from treadwright instead with the kwedge grip, but, I guess they have given up on 15" tire support.

> I’m swapping the transfer case

Just swapping in a manual transfer case from a B2 or Ranger? Always wanted to do that with mine, especially after I nuked a front hub/axle and learned the only way to disable the AWD so you can actually drive it is to remove the fuse under the driver's seat.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals