• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The autumn years of the ICE should be the golden years for the ICE.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Nope....it all fell off....and washed away.

Even the horrid oil leak.

This is not a zero sum game. Planet is alive....and spews shit quite regular.

You know this.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Clearly the earth wanted plastic and trash all over ...

I am with Carlin.....if...errrr...when.. it gets sick of us.....it will shake us off like a bad case of fleas.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I agree, we certainly can't "save the planet", just ourselves, planet will be here regardless

Just depends on how much shit we want our kids and grand kids to wade thru

But greed wins out most of the time, cheaper to drive an older vehicle with little or no emissions limters, like my 1994, lol
And EVs are too expensive
I am thrifty, which is the other name for greedy

Easier to just toss out garbage than recycle it, easy is also another name for greedy

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I think we would be much better off spending time, effort, and money to deal with the effects of climate change rather then trying to stop it. You cant stop nature.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Yes, I agree, we certainly can't "save the planet", just ourselves, planet will be here regardless

Just depends on how much shit we want our kids and grand kids to wade thru

But greed wins out most of the time, cheaper to drive an older vehicle with little or no emissions limters, like my 1994, lol
And EVs are too expensive
I am thrifty, which is the other name for greedy

Easier to just toss out garbage than recycle it, easy is also another name for greedy

My Dude.

Driving your 1994 is epic recycling

My truck is rolling and is made with shit I found on the ground or was thrown away.

Runs on several types of fuels.

That filthy ass diesel will never put out the pollution, that by electing to buy myself a truck every 3 to 5 years ....speaking cradle to grave ...if I run it another million and a half miles.

The nox and co is nothing compared to partying every weekend and heating my barn and cooking with wood.

It's bad compared to a 2006 diesel....but still nothing.

The fleet emissions we have....are low.

So we....no....the rest of the fawkers in the world matching our level....will clean the mess.

My country is the cleanest since the industrial revolution started...

We still used coal in Detroit in my formative years for Christs sake

That shit in the water in Flint was there before I was born.....

It's cleaner now ..

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Canada....otoh ...not so much.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
If you come to Los Angeles, you will see the apocalypse has already happened. The outskirts are not so bad, they are mainly just inside toyota prius', driving 45mph in the fast lane with a line of cars backed up behind them, when you manage to pass on the right, you will see eyes glazed over, mouth open, no clue that they are even driving. Sometimes dried snot or drool. I dont think Teslas have any "left lane is for passing, keep right" program in the self driving software either.
Now the city is worse. I dont dare venture unless I must for work. Sometimes we must go work a location shoot, when my tools and I are driven in either a stake bed F450 or a boxed 5 ton F650 by a teamster. I mostly stay within the borders of location security. I would otherwise not dare venture into the city, but being passenger lets me really observe. Deep in the cities of Hollywood, Koreatown in East L.A., South L.A. near and in the LAX airport... or the rich and famous bubble of the West side...Santa Monica, Beverly hills, Malibu etc.... whether morning, day or night, the streets are riddled with zombies. They are wandering around aimless. Blank stares and open mouths, doing things that dont make sense, or seem to serve any useful purpose.
The poor ones will be wandering on foot in tattered rags, with remnants of consumer items in tow...or just standing around near a tent surrounded by garbage, pitched inches away from highway traffic, yelling at cars or passersby. The wealthy will be crawling around them in exotic sports cars that will never reach their potential beyond stop and go traffic, also aimless. The inbetween also seem to have no motive or purpose besides turning food into poo, and seeking some form of entertainment... whether its spray painting a wall, or fighting over territory that belongs to neither of them, spending what little money they have (or borrowed) on junk, entertainment, and other non necessities... or simply just managing the aftermath of over breeding themselves beyond their means. Many other regular workers like me are less fortunate and must work in Zombieland every day unguarded, although I would guess they are secretly armed.
Yes my friends, the zombies are here. I dont understand how this world has survived this long and made it this far. Maybe I need to GTFO of L.A. and witness some human normalcy lol.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Fellas, I appreciate the likes, but this is a sad thing lol.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
The thing is. All vehicles are expensive. The average new car price in the U.S. in December was $47,077. My Ranger and Tesla were basically the same price.

Here's build and spec now

Ranger Tremor - $48,590
Tesla Model 3 Long Range - $52,490

View attachment 71857
Average car price is 47k??!??!!! That’s absolutely insane! I really splurged on my wife’s Mazda at 33k. People must love 7+ year loans.

My thought is that it doesn’t matter what all the “promises” of “all electric by 20xx.” The market and current tech will allow it or not. Promises and regulations for EVs will only make things painful WHEN it doesn’t happen. People will naturally gravitate toward them when they become reliable... Just like when hybrids came out. I think, at best, EVs will take the place of hybrids in my lifetime (in terms of how many there are/ percentage of ownership).

Shutting down power plants and more EVs are counterintuitive and WILL NOT work. Just more pain from politicians with big words and no idea how inventing works.

Solar will get there one day and is probably the future, but definitely isn’t the present. Nuclear is the present but good ole Uncle Sam is in the way.

As far as ICE being in its prime of sorts, that’s not untrue. Hyundai of all makers has a 300 hp option for some of theirs cars. Too bad they mated it to a dual clutch.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I recently read that Hybrids are most likely to catch on fire, then ICE, and full EV least likely. Based on average number of car fires per year.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Please don't burn me at the stake, but I have somewhat been considering an EV. Hear me out. I have a fully contained solar trailer with panels, inverters and batteries, so my fuel would be free, and I would never drive it far enough to have to charge elsewhere, or more often than overnight at home. Plus it would serve another purpose of cycling the batteries on my solar power trailer so they don't go bad prematurely.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Please don't burn me at the stake, but I have somewhat been considering an EV. Hear me out. I have a fully contained solar trailer with panels, inverters and batteries, so my fuel would be free, and I would never drive it far enough to have to charge elsewhere, or more often than overnight at home. Plus it would serve another purpose of cycling the batteries on my solar power trailer so they don't go bad prematurely.
you'd need quite a solar array. I’m looking at a hybrid Sonata. The top trim has solar panels on the roof (15 square feet?). Hyundai brags that it provides up to 2 miles per day.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Fellas, I appreciate the likes, but this is a sad thing lol.
You underestimate my capacity for sh*tposting.

I'm rather enjoying the decline of the West.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Recycling...

I am 100 percent for recycling. with that being said, we also need to do a few things as producers and consumers to make this work. The biggest part of it is on the producers end. the biggest impact we can have on garbage/ landfill/ big plastic pile in the middle of the pacific Ocean is to drastically cut down on packaging. Why does everything have to be in a freaking 3 layers of packaging and plastic? just about everything we buy (non food or drug related, we'll get to that in a bit) can be put on a shelf or display either without any packaging or seriously reduced packaging. what you buy for general merchandise does not need to be in a blister pack. Retail big box stores and even the smaller stores can get together with manufactures and producers to standardize the racks/ shelves to hold products. this racking would not need to be changed for several years or even decades to hold products that are in either no packaging or minimal packaging. if some kind of plastic packaging is needed to hang or display something, make it durable and the cashier would then remove it from the item being bought to reuse at the store (think the plastic hanging hook that is on individual sockets when you go replace that lost 10mm). Bags. why are we using plastic bags? Costco and Aldi's have it right. let the customers pick boxes from stocking the store to take their merchandise home. bring back paper bags. we do not have to remove old growth forest for groceries or shopping either. bring your own cloth bag in for groceries, pay a quarter for a new paper bag, make the paper bags out of pulp/ fiber from easily renewable plants such as hemp(oh noes, that is marijuana! no it isnt...)

Food and drug packaging... this would be the one area that would need some extra packaging for consumer safety, but not as much as it is now. toothpaste does not need a box around the tube. at most it needs a hanging hook built into the cap and a foil anti tamper covering. or the cap can be made bigger so that it can be stored standing up. drugs and vitamins do not need any boxes at all. pack it on the shelf as is. beauty supplies such as lipstick and nail polish. no boxes, put it on the shelf or a special designed display as is. soda/ beer/ milk etc... reusable bottles. glass. when I was a kid you got your coke or pepsi in 16 ounce tall glass bottles that you took back to the store and even got a refund back for bringing them in, and they would refund you some of the money for bringing them back. hell me and my friends would go out looking for these types of bottles to turn them in for a few bucks of change. change all forms of plastic bottling to glass. point is, plastic uses a crapload of our oil to produce, it is toxic to wildlife and most types of plastic are near impossible to recycle.

What packaging we have left over should be fiber or paper based that can easily be recycled which means no glossy ink or printing. there should be options in your area to either take the recycleables to or an extra trash bin for just recycleable items for pickup by your garbage men. a thought for you... for a month, put all the recycleable and plastics in their own container and trash that cannot be reused or recycled such as the styrofoam meat trays an used napkins and other stuff in its own container. iff you can eliminate half of that or more, how much less bags of trash would be put on the curb for trash pickup day?

As Bobby Walter mentioned, one of the ultimate forms of recycling is fixing and keeping your car instead of trading every 3 to 5 years. get used parts from a pull a part or auto recycler. that is less production of new parts (and the associated pollution and packaging in manufacturing them. As a country, we need to pass some solid "right to repair" laws that force manufactures of just about every electronic and machinery to create items that are easy to repair and provide consumers with replacement parts at reasonable price to do so. Apple is a horrible company in this regard, and John Deere is another example of a horrible company on fixing your own stuff. I will not go deeper into this as I could rant all day about this and "planned obsolescence

Just my thoughts.

AJ

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Average car price is 47k??!??!!! That’s absolutely insane! I really splurged on my wife’s Mazda at 33k. People must love 7+ year loans.

My thought is that it doesn’t matter what all the “promises” of “all electric by 20xx.” The market and current tech will allow it or not. Promises and regulations for EVs will only make things painful WHEN it doesn’t happen. People will naturally gravitate toward them when they become reliable... Just like when hybrids came out. I think, at best, EVs will take the place of hybrids in my lifetime (in terms of how many there are/ percentage of ownership).

Shutting down power plants and more EVs are counterintuitive and WILL NOT work. Just more pain from politicians with big words and no idea how inventing works.

Solar will get there one day and is probably the future, but definitely isn’t the present. Nuclear is the present but good ole Uncle Sam is in the way.

As far as ICE being in its prime of sorts, that’s not untrue. Hyundai of all makers has a 300 hp option for some of theirs cars. Too bad they mated it to a dual clutch.
IMO ICE is about being pushed to the point of feedback carburetors for logic and easy of repair.

Like feedback carbs imo ICE's best days are behind it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals