• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ecosport/Fusion questions...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Wifes looking to buy a newer ride and off her 2010 escape....shes narrowed it down to either a ecosport or fusion....neither im real thrilled with but eh whatever...anyways...

1- Does the ecosport use the same crappy dual clutch trans as a fiesta?
2- Is the 1.1l 3 banger nonsense a decent engine?
3- For the fusion....are the CVT's garbage? She keeps finding all these fusions she likes but i tried to steer her away from the CVT.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1. No, US versions have the 6 speed auto trans.
2. Its fine.
3. The only Fusion with cvt are the hybrids and they work fine, no big issues. The others have traditional auto trans.

In your part of the world, I would be looking for awd, which was not available in the hybrid Fusion.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
1. No, US versions have the 6 speed auto trans.
2. Its fine.
3. The only Fusion with cvt are the hybrids and they work fine, no big issues. The others have traditional auto trans.

In your part of the world, I would be looking for awd, which was not available in the hybrid Fusion.
I brought that up but shes more concerned with color and if it has a sunroof :rolleyes:

Shes always had FWD stuff so she wouldnt miss it.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I do quite like the looks of the ecosport in a very non masculine way. They're definitely "cute". I appreciate the little wheels/tires underneath the "big" bulbous body lol.

I feel like they'd be a lot of fun to hoon around in during the winter too... blasting huge sideways figure 8s between light poles at the local Walmart in a blizzard.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The Fusion in the hybrid did get really good gas mileage if you drove them decent - I think they were rated at like 45/40 or something like that. I know when I was selling Lincolns I could regularly drive a MKZ hybrid around town and get 45 mpg.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I only have experience with the Fusion. My sister drives a 2015 Fusion Platinum FWD w/ecoboost. What a load of FUN it is to drive. It comes on rails, point it where you want to go and it goes. Not a fan of the "dial" shifter or "gear selector" but other than that, (y).

The ecosport looks like it has a high COG and could get "tippy" but AWD and today's technology could help out.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The Fusion in the hybrid did get really good gas mileage if you drove them decent - I think they were rated at like 45/40 or something like that. I know when I was selling Lincolns I could regularly drive a MKZ hybrid around town and get 45 mpg.
She does mostly highway. Even her escape with a 2.5 and 170,000 still averages 28. Theres nothing even wrong with the escape besides some body rust. Kinda wish she would keep it its been pretty damn reliable. Other then a starter and a throttle body its been damn good. She had it since it had like 48k on it

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The 3 cylinder EcoBoost was available in a Focus and felt comparable to a NA 2.0, we didn't sell many. We had terrific luck with Escapes and Fusions- Focuses and fiestas too, if they had 5 speeds. Ecosports came out shortly after I retired so I don't have an opinion other than not liking the rear door gate.
I would avoid a 1.5 or 1.6 in a Fusion and highly recommend a 2.0 EcoBoost. My 2016 awd Escape 2.0 EcoBoost has good power and averaged 27.3 on a round trip to the Washington, D.C. area including 75-80 on the highway and awful traffic. It did 29.4 mpg on a round trip to Bar Harbor, Me.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The 3 cylinder EcoBoost was available in a Focus and felt comparable to a NA 2.0, we didn't sell many. We had terrific luck with Escapes and Fusions- Focuses and fiestas too, if they had 5 speeds. Ecosports came out shortly after I retired so I don't have an opinion other than not liking the rear door gate.
I would avoid a 1.5 or 1.6 in a Fusion and highly recommend a 2.0 EcoBoost. My 2016 awd Escape 2.0 EcoBoost has good power and averaged 27.3 on a round trip to the Washington, D.C. area including 75-80 on the highway and awful traffic. It did 29.4 mpg on a round trip to Bar Harbor, Me.
Did they run the 2.5 N/A up till the end of the fusion? Id like to sway her toward that because the one in her escape has been solid. Gutless...but solid.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I have a 2011 Ford fusion flex fuel v6, I think its an S or SE. It is my spare car and has seen a lot of abuse being borrowed by friends and mom, who is a vehement vehicle abuser, it runs like a champ and the v6 hauls tail! I consider it a sleeper. I got it used with low miles from a rental company auction. It has given me just about 100k miles of trouble free service, just regular minimal maintenance. Now she needs alot of steering and suspension parts replaced, and has an undiagnosed battery/charging issue. Also pretty beat physically. Not sure if I wanna fix it all, or take it t carmax. I started a thread about what car to get next.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Wifes looking to buy a newer ride and off her 2010 escape....shes narrowed it down to either a ecosport or fusion....neither im real thrilled with but eh whatever...anyways...

1- Does the ecosport use the same crappy dual clutch trans as a fiesta?
2- Is the 1.1l 3 banger nonsense a decent engine?
3- For the fusion....are the CVT's garbage? She keeps finding all these fusions she likes but i tried to steer her away from the CVT.
She should check out the Maverick, she may like it.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Every Fusion I have been in has been a nice solid car, drives great, comfortable and looks good too. the Ecosport, I am not a fan of, primarily because it is too small inside. No issues with roominess in hte Fusion. A friend of ours had issues with their Ecosport, but that is the only point I can give you mechanically on the Ecosport.

While snoranger's advice on the Maverick is tongue in cheek, he does make a good point. if you can drop enough coin for a new car, the Maverick would probably be a great choice for your wife. she can haul a new washer/ dryer/ refrigerator/ stove home and take the kids/ grandkids out to the park. Plus, it will handle more or less like her Escape.

My wife's 2015 Escape has the 2.5l Duratec in it and it is a good little engine, no lack of power issues for us, and it will run circles around my 2010 Buick Lucerne with the 3.9l v6

AJ

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Every Fusion I have been in has been a nice solid car, drives great, comfortable and looks good too. the Ecosport, I am not a fan of, primarily because it is too small inside. No issues with roominess in hte Fusion. A friend of ours had issues with their Ecosport, but that is the only point I can give you mechanically on the Ecosport.

While snoranger's advice on the Maverick is tongue in cheek, he does make a good point. if you can drop enough coin for a new car, the Maverick would probably be a great choice for your wife. she can haul a new washer/ dryer/ refrigerator/ stove home and take the kids/ grandkids out to the park. Plus, it will handle more or less like her Escape.

My wife's 2015 Escape has the 2.5l Duratec in it and it is a good little engine, no lack of power issues for us, and it will run circles around my 2010 Buick Lucerne with the 3.9l v6

AJ
She actually wanted a new bronco sport, but because she has to have all the doo dads it put her at a payment she wasnt really comfy with.

I do think shes leaning more toward a fusion, but i dont know. She was looking at those little tiny buick SUV's. Shes also mentioned tauruses. I personally vouched for a mustang or challenger but she wasnt having it lol.

My buddies wife has had 2 fusions and theyve been good cars, was mostly concerned with the CVT's in some of them.

Her 2010 is a dog. In my opinion. My 2.9/5sp will hand it its ass untill you get up to the point where torque and gearing make the handoff to HP and aero. My F250 stomps it everywhere but the gas pump lol.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Her 2010 is a dog. In my opinion. My 2.9/5sp will hand it its ass untill you get up to the point where torque and gearing make the handoff to HP and aero. My F250 stomps it everywhere but the gas pump lol.
If a 2.9 would take it your assessment is probably accurate.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals