• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 Bronco 2 4x4 driver side axle help

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
I'm so lost on this adventure
Confusion always precedes knowledge!! Hang in there.

If its rusted in, can you get a large screw driver in and try to gently pound the yoke outwards towards the spindle? I wouls also spray a ton of PB blaster up in there if you can.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Unclamp the boot at the slip joint and move it all thevway onto one part of the shaft. Then the shaft will slide apart there. FIRST, take a paint marker and draw a line straight across both parts of the shaft so that you can line it up properly when you reassemble it. The two u-joints must be properly aligned (it's called "clocking") so that the shaft will not bind later.

Shouldn't be rusted to the spider gear. Everything inside the diff should be coated in oil.

Here (post #45) is my passenger side shaft, showing the c-clip eliminator spring. The boot is over to the right. Notice the white paint lines for clocking the u-joints.

Last edited:

piercings4_u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Confusion always precedes knowledge!! Hang in there.

If its rusted in, can you get a large screw driver in and try to gently pound the yoke outwards towards the spindle? I wouls also spray a ton of PB blaster up in there if you can.
I'm going to try that and see if that works... earlier I hooked a ratchet strap to the yoke and tried to get it out but I couldn't even tighten it enough... the axle moves up and down and back and forth but thats it... is it supposed to move like that or be solid with no play

piercings4_u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Unclamp the boot at the slip joint and move it all thevway onto one part of the shaft. Then the shaft will slide apart there. FIRST, take a paint marker and draw a line straight across both parts of the shaft so that you can line it up properly when you reassemble it. The two u-joints must be properly aligned (it's called "clocking") so that the shaft will not bind later.

Shouldn't be rusted to the spider gear. Everything inside the diff should be coated in oil.

Here (post #45) is my passenger side shaft, showing the c-clip eliminator spring. The boot is over to the right. Notice the white paint lines for clocking the u-joints.

yes I see the marks... I understand that part... I'm just not seeing a boot on passengers side

piercings4_u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
yes I see the marks... I understand that part... I'm just not seeing a boot on passengers side
I see the boot now... so now your saying to tear down the passenger side like I did the drivers side and then slide boot back and make marks on shaft and then pull it out... then unbolt differential and drain and then maneuver it in a way that I can pull it towards the passenger side and the stuck driver side axle will come through and still be attached to differential... and after that then how am I gonna get the driver side axle out of the differential if its still stuck

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
Giving my truck more money than it deserves.
Lol ouch! I had the same failure on my bronco. I have a d35 sitting in my garage waiting to go in. I'm not sure how much luck you will find replacing that axle shaft.

20210328_161612.jpg
I broke the axle climbing a hill. Slid down and got stuck uphill of this rock. Good chance to flex the lift, though. :)

piercings4_u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Lol ouch! I had the same failure on my bronco. I have a d35 sitting in my garage waiting to go in. I'm not sure how much luck you will find replacing that axle shaft.

View attachment 62395
I broke the axle climbing a hill. Slid down and got stuck uphill of this rock. Good chance to flex the lift, though. :)
this has been a nightmare for me... I'm wondering if a slide hammer would work to get it out...

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
this has been a nightmare for me... I'm wondering if a slide hammer would work to get it out...
I think it would, but how to attach it to the shaft?

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
All else fails, remove the carrier and how to proceed should be self-evident at that point

piercings4_u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
I think it would, but how to attach it to the shaft?
I was thinking of getting the slide hammer and get the cv axle attachment that looks like a U.... slip it over the axle and the yoke should keep it in place when using it... I don't know... and if all else fails just push the whole truck over my hill and into the river and call it a day 😆

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I see the boot now... so now your saying to tear down the passenger side like I did the drivers side and then slide boot back and make marks on shaft and then pull it out... then unbolt differential and drain and then maneuver it in a way that I can pull it towards the passenger side and the stuck driver side axle will come through and still be attached to differential... and after that then how am I gonna get the driver side axle out of the differential if its still stuck
That's probably what you will have to do. At that point, you will have access to both ends of the broken shaft. You may have to remove the carrier cross pin. Then get the side gear off the shaft. Then pull the shaft out. I would recommend replacing the shaft seal on the diff before re-assembly. It's old and may even be damaged by the time you get this apart.

piercings4_u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
UPDATE..... well I got creative and made i guess what I'd call a wanna be slide hammer... 6 yanks on this bar and out came the axle... I had to use my angle grinder to cut off part of the yoke because it wouldn't fit through the hole due to the deformity of it... but now I got another question... look at the wave in the splines on the axle... do you think the differential internal splines are ruined or do you think my axle was weaker than those and just started to twist... either way I gotta buy a new axle and I guess ill just try it... also in the picture of the seals, should I replace those too... the smaller one seems offset in there...its my concern... its it supposed to just kinda float and not touch all the way around until you put the axle through it... I'm pretty excited so far... and not a bad job for a girl 😏 lol

Attachments

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Great job! I feel certain that your new shaft will slip into the side gear splines just fine. Most of that twist was extra spline that was not engaged. You definitely torqued that pretty hard before it broke.

Not sure what that piece is that looks off-center in the hole. Your oil seal may have worn into two pieces, probably after the shaft broke. There shouldn't be any other part in there. Just the seal, then the side gear and it's shim, which is centered on a shoulder on the side gear. I would definitely install a new seal. If in any doubt, remove the diff from the axle beam so you can inspect properly inside.

Wow. The anonymity of the web. Didn't know we were talking to a woman. Welcome to TRS. Keep up the good work. And please tell us more about your truck some time with pictures of it.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I am with Eric, I would still tear the whole thing down and replace at least both axle seals in the 3rd member and inspect everything. Cool carnage, I have never seen a D28 shaft twist before the u-joint breaks!

You do have to tear down the passenger side shaft assembly. But I would really recommend that anyway, change ALL of the u-joints while you're in there and use Dana/Spicer joints... parts store ones are garbage. And lube the slip yoke.

I have found that a lot of u-joint breakage on TTB axles is due to bad u-joints or a locked up slip yoke...the former could have been why this happened... better to inspect everything right now instead of fixing the passenger side next because the same thing happened.

piercings4_u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Great job! I feel certain that your new shaft will slip into the side gear splines just fine. Most of that twist was extra spline that was not engaged. You definitely torqued that pretty hard before it broke.

Not sure what that piece is that looks off-center in the hole. Your oil seal may have worn into two pieces, probably after the shaft broke. There shouldn't be any other part in there. Just the seal, then the side gear and it's shim, which is centered on a shoulder on the side gear. I would definitely install a new seal. If in any doubt, remove the diff from the axle beam so you can inspect properly inside.

Wow. The anonymity of the web. Didn't know we were talking to a woman. Welcome to TRS. Keep up the good work. And please tell us more about your truck some time with pictures of it.
thank you so much ... a big thanks to everyone for all the help... I'll definitely be chiming back in to let everyone know if the axle fits smoothly or if there are other issues... I'm headed to the parts store in a few... probably have to order these parts I'm sure... and about my truck, its a 84 ranger with a chopped bed sitting on a 86 bronco 2 frame with a body lift and 33s...

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals