• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dealer Installed A/C System Problems!!!!

Broncomeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know anything about dealer installed A/C? I have a 1984 B2 Eddie Bauer and it Seems to have dealer installed A/C. This is a totally different system than the factory A/C, and I am trying to find a wiring diagram, component list, system diagram, etc. The first pic shows that the Accumulator/Dryer is not in the normal place near the Evaporator. Second pic show the actual location of the Accumulator/Dryer by the Condenser. Third pic shows what the Compressor looks like, its different from the factory installed one. (Yes the blue belt is temporary its off of a lawn mower)

Attachments

Broncomeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also I can't find a pressure switch in the system

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well AC systems all work the same way
on or off, compressor clutch either has 12v or it doesn't

In the 1980s they would have added a switch on the dash for 12v on or off to compressor
That 12v should have run thru a pressure switch before going to the compressor
Or they could have added a relay that the switch in the cab activates, so smaller wires could be used into the cab from engine bay, safer, or ground activation of relay, even safer

The no pressure switch thing is odd
System would have used R-12 originally so will be needed to be converted to R-12A which won't take much, unless it was already converted to R-134A, but still not a big deal

Follow the wire from the compressor clutch to see if it goes to a relay or into the cab

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would be tempted to update it with the factory setup if there is much wrong with what you have...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'd call the dealer and demand to speak with the service tech who installed it! Or... You know... His ghost...

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
Hopefully your dealer installed AC works better than mine on my 85 Bronco. I did pipeline surveys in dry gypsum soils and so much dust would get sucked into every interior body cavity including the AC vents. Dust would even get between the headliner and roof and cloud up the dome light. It turned out the aftermarket AC the dealer installed would draw air from the cowl and right behind the front wheels because the factory AC cowling intake is sealed. Loved that Bronco, hated the AC.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Most older, or non-AC, vehicles, had a re-circulation selector, to close outside air vent and suck in air for the fan/blower from inside the cab
That's what MAX AC does in all AC vehicles, thats the "max" part, AC re-cools already cooled air instead of hotter air from outside
Also keeps dust out

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
Most older, or non-AC, vehicles, had a re-circulation selector, to close outside air vent and suck in air for the fan/blower from inside the cab
That's what MAX AC does in all AC vehicles, thats the "max" part, AC re-cools already cooled air instead of hotter air from outside
Also keeps dust out
Mine was so bad Ford finally took it back at full purchase price credit because they couldn't solve the problem. There was just no means to keep the dust out of the cab with the AC on, no matter what switch position or voodoo curse I would throw at it. It was a company vehicle so I got another new full size Bronco with factory AC, no dust at all. Ford claimed it was caused by the slight vacuum created behind the front mud flaps and the unsealed openings into the cowl area. I didn't care what it was; you couldn't even turn the vent system on without it spitting choking clouds of dust at you that had settled in all the ductwork. Not having good efficient AC in the Bakersfield Summer is a non-starter.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bakersfield!!..........................I spent a week there one night

Is the Alley Cat bar still around, they poured a good drink there........ 30+ years ago :)

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
What does your a/c-heater control look like? That's a factory looking evaporator case, I wonder if someone replaced a bunch of parts with non stock pieces. If the compressor isn't engaging the first thing to check is the fuses. As Ron said, the only power is to the compressor clutch so it shouldn't be too hard to trace 1 wire.

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Bakersfield!!..........................I spent a week there one night

Is the Alley Cat bar still around, they poured a good drink there........ 30+ years ago :)
Yep, still there, Guthries Alley Cat, the quintessential Dive Bar. I haven't lived there in 35 years but get down there on biz every so often. All I remember is 'Happiness is Bakersfield in your rear view mirror' when we finally escaped.
'

Broncomeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well AC systems all work the same way
on or off, compressor clutch either has 12v or it doesn't

In the 1980s they would have added a switch on the dash for 12v on or off to compressor
That 12v should have run thru a pressure switch before going to the compressor
Or they could have added a relay that the switch in the cab activates, so smaller wires could be used into the cab from engine bay, safer, or ground activation of relay, even safer

The no pressure switch thing is odd
System would have used R-12 originally so will be needed to be converted to R-12A which won't take much, unless it was already converted to R-134A, but still not a big deal

Follow the wire from the compressor clutch to see if it goes to a relay or into the cab
Well, unfortunately I removed that wire when I removed and rebuilt the engine. I have a wire that I suspect might be the right one, I guess I need to test it with the switch on. I was hoping to find a system diagram so I can understand this specific system before I try to troubleshoot it. I've never seen an A/C system without a pressure switch, what would cause the compressor to cycle on and off?

Broncomeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would be tempted to update it with the factory setup if there is much wrong with what you have...
I may do that if I can't get it to work, because I can't find the parts I have anywhere. But this is what I have and if it works I am going to use it until it wont work any more.

Broncomeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd call the dealer and demand to speak with the service tech who installed it! Or... You know... His ghost...
Thats the problem with alot of this vehicle, modern Ford techs have no idea how to work on it. (I wouldn't take it to a dealership anyway, I'm too cheap)

Broncomeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What does your a/c-heater control look like? That's a factory looking evaporator case, I wonder if someone replaced a bunch of parts with non stock pieces. If the compressor isn't engaging the first thing to check is the fuses. As Ron said, the only power is to the compressor clutch so it shouldn't be too hard to trace 1 wire.
That wire is not there, that"
0705212344.jpg
s why I am looking for a system diagram

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals