• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Broke My Heart Today

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Ive only been able to catch a few shows this year, Didnt enter the ranger this year but after some of the junk Ive seen I should have (like a bone stock ‘88 chevy shortbed, rattle canned in white, with overspray on the weatherstripping, glass & tires)

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
It burns old farts but generally people are attracted to vehicles that are about the same age they are. I am not sure why that is or why I seem to be the only one to notice this. People with the traditional classics get put out when someone has something from the 80's or newer at a show, there is a big stigma that newer cars shouldn't even be allowed at shows. Good-Guys blew a lot of minds by opening it up to newer cars after slumping numbers... and the overall numbers boomed. Some say people bring the "newer junk" because they can't afford a classic. Others spout that stuff from the 80's is so cheap and easy to find in good shape that is isn't fair to have them judged with older classics. I was nice and didn't totally rip that dude's head off, I was putting a floor pan in my '85 at the time and the exterior body still needs.... everything. It is no small wonder that it is hard to get new members with younger iron interested in joining clubs and getting into the hobby.

IMO this is a huge problem with the scene

And then we wonder why kids are not really getting into it.

My car club started out as a Model A club. That was it. Now there isn't a single Model T in the club, the people that were into those died out, we might get 2-3 to show up at our 2-300 car annual car show. Time marches on, you didn't latch on to the same cars your father did so don't expect your kids to latch onto what you like. Most are 40's to 60's stuff now.

I like old stuff, I wouldn't trade my '85 for any of it though. I have the second newest vehicle in my club and it is 35 years old, the newest is a 2011 GT-500. Kids in newer Mustangs and whatever are everywhere... just doing their own thing.

The bottom is starting to fall out of antique tractors too. Now "the dang kids" have memories of riding on the fender of grandpa's 4020/806, not great-grandpa's A/M that stayed parked in the garage except for special occasions.

As a whole they don't, the doctors and lawyers that can afford a new 700hp muscle car don't use it. It idles from show to show while they prance around in jean shorts and new-balance shoes reciting how much power it has... that they will never use because if they did they would stain the seat. Once in awhile one gets a wild hair and takes out a crowd trying to show off though.
Personally i dont care what people bring to a show, if you feel about your 2008 V6 mustang the same way the guy next to you feels about his 69 judge, then so be it.

I just wont look at the mustang. But that kind of behavior is harmless.

The subsect of the hobby that pisses me off is restomodding. I can respect the work, thought, etc that goes into it, but if youre going to chop up a 69 charger just to put 20's on it, make some weird custom autometer filled dash, paint it some stupid monochromatic modern color and stuff an LS into it then all youve done is contribute to the further demise of another car that could have been put back how it left the line, driven and enjoyed as such.

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
for the heater tubes I presume?
The heater tubes didn't have clamps, just the gas lines on either side of the fuel pump and at the carb. As another example of "superior" German engineering, there was no fuel filter, I added one to every VW I owned after cleaning out my carb on the side of the road 2 or 3 times.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Personally i dont care what people bring to a show, if you feel about your 2008 V6 mustang the same way the guy next to you feels about his 69 judge, then so be it.

I just wont look at the mustang. But that kind of behavior is harmless.

The subsect of the hobby that pisses me off is restomodding. I can respect the work, thought, etc that goes into it, but if youre going to chop up a 69 charger just to put 20's on it, make some weird custom autometer filled dash, paint it some stupid monochromatic modern color and stuff an LS into it then all youve done is contribute to the further demise of another car that could have been put back how it left the line, driven and enjoyed as such.
I don't usually look at any of the new cars at shows, I saw enough new cars working at the dealer for 42 years. I don't mind modified cars if they're done well and show good workmanship. I hate to see a $1.50 clamp on battery terminal, especially combined with $2000 worth of billet brackets and pulleys. It drives me nuts to see a dash full of mismatched gauges or to see a Ford with the vacuum advance not pointed straight ahead because someone was too lazy to pull the distributor out and properly index the teeth. I like to see good survivors restored so I can look at them but I wouldn't buy an historic car like a Cobra Jet Mustang or a Boss because it's not in me to leave something stock if I can make it work better. For example, my Cobra II had a Borg Warner 4 speed and I transplanted a T5 into it. It has a 3.35 low instead of the 2.67 so it makes my 3.55's feel like 4.45 gears in low and 2.38's in 5th, not to mention the more solid feel of the shifter.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

A7CE344A-D0B7-4F2A-84D5-C89FC31CCBDF.jpeg

Is that show still on? Anyone have the phone number? Asking for a friend (this is going to be awesome)

a Ford with the vacuum advance not pointed straight ahead because someone was too lazy to pull the distributor out and properly index the teeth.
It won’t with the Explorer belt drive. The vacuum canister has a little wiggle room for fine adjustment but the main adjustment is playing with indexing the teeth. So don’t judge mine too harshly...

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
View attachment 50028

Is that show still on? Anyone have the phone number? Asking for a friend (this is going to be awesome)

It won’t with the Explorer belt drive. The vacuum canister has a little wiggle room for fine adjustment but the main adjustment is playing with indexing the teeth. So don’t judge mine too harshly...
You're forgiven, you did it for a reason.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

This 'friend' better not be me.... 🖕🏿

Keep that disaster artist TF away from my sh*tbox....

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
That show does a really good quality job of ruining a lot of cars. I can't imagine deciding what to change on someone's vehicle without their consent and input.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
The heater tubes didn't have clamps, just the gas lines on either side of the fuel pump and at the carb. As another example of "superior" German engineering, there was no fuel filter, I added one to every VW I owned after cleaning out my carb on the side of the road 2 or 3 times.
I specifically said "heater tubes" because there aren't any radiator hoses on an air cooled engine.
kind of a late-night attempt at humor/satire.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
View attachment 50028

I will beat foose then hunt you down and beat you too.

I dont want any of my junk turned into the utter bullshit that happens at the hands of chip foose.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
"Hey Chip, yeah this is @PetroleumJunkie412, my uncle @rusty ol ranger has been trying for years to restore his beloved 1987 Ranger and really needs help with the bodywork and powertrain." "Yeah, you can do whatever with the paint but keep in mind his favorite color is a purple they used on Toyota minivans." "Powertrain?" "Yeah he is huge into Subarus and is infatuated with the 4U-GSE out of like a Scion FRS, he is kinda old so you probably should go with an automatic too." "Yeah it would take a lot of frame modification to fit the flat four but it would really mean the world to him if you could make it happen." "Of course, he is very into audio you had better go all out on that too, he has been wanting to get one with voice control if you can find one of those”

Then on a burner phone: "Hey PJ, this is Rusty, I somehow got tickets to a Sven Pruitt book signing, you in? Cool meet me here."

And just like that, I divided by 0

And PJ can get the beating he wants plus we can all watch it on tv :popcorn:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
"Hey Chip, yeah this is @PetroleumJunkie412, my uncle @rusty ol ranger has been trying for years to restore his beloved 1987 Ranger and really needs help with the bodywork and powertrain." "Yeah, you can do whatever with the paint but keep in mind his favorite color is a purple they used on Toyota minivans." "Powertrain?" "Yeah he is huge into Subarus and is infatuated with the 4U-GSE out of like a Scion FRS, he is kinda old so you probably should go with an automatic too." "Yeah it would take a lot of frame modification to fit the flat four but it would really mean the world to him if you could make it happen." "Of course, he is very into audio you had better go all out on that too, he has been wanting to get one with voice control if you can find one of those”

Then on a burner phone: "Hey PJ, this is Rusty, I somehow got tickets to a Sven Pruitt book signing, you in? Cool meet me here."

And just like that, I divided by 0

And PJ can get the beating he wants plus we can all watch it on tv :popcorn:
Well. You just made my day.

Rusty v2.1: Street Truck

Maybe they can give it Alexa/Cortana/Siri to yell at him while he's driving...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals